It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Congressmen claim Russian radio station created in June 2017 influenced election

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Want proof of how insane the hysteria into russia influencing the US election is?

I don't know, Want proof that people believe BS and post OPs written by fictional authors on ATS just because they want to believe something?

*Your source article lists it's author as Tyler Durden of "Fight Club" fame for a reason..

Sputnik was launched on 10 November 2014 by Rossiya Segodnya, an agency wholly owned and operated by the Russian government

* Available on Digital Radio and Internet for years where they have spread lies and propaganda and yes fake news that advantaged Donald Trump

As far as traditional radio broadcast..

Radio Sputnik - initially as its predecessor - had broadcast in the Washington DC area on WTOP-HD2 (103.5-HD2) since June 2013

LINK

But it was not until July 2017 that Sputnik moved to purchase their own broadcaster in the USA.

Four of the officials said the approach outlined in the June strategy paper was a broadening of an effort the Putin administration launched in March 2016.

That month the Kremlin instructed state-backed media outlets, including international platforms Russia Today and Sputnik news agency, to start producing positive reports on Trump’s quest for the U.S. presidency, the officials said.

LINK

edit on 21-9-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

All of this was alrady addressed.

Durden is the pseudonym of the guy who runs zero hedge.

The congressmen specifically listed radio sputnik on 105.5 which didn't exist.

The Wikipedia article links back saying south in was voice of russia. The voice of russia page says they stopped broadcasting in 2013 and only did so in russia.

Perhaps you should read the whole thread before making snarky posts that you are wrong about.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

All of this was alrady addressed.

Durden is the pseudonym of the guy who runs zero hedge.

The congressmen specifically listed radio sputnik on 105.5 which didn't exist.

The Wikipedia article links back saying south in was voice of russia. The voice of russia page says they stopped broadcasting in 2013 and only did so in russia.

Perhaps you should read the whole thread before making snarky posts that you are wrong about.

The letter, sent September 18, 2017, says "In Washington D.C., listeners can tune their radios to 105.5FM to hear Sputnik...." That was absolutely true when the letter was sent. Radio Sputnik switched to 105.5FM (using translator station W288BS) in June, 2017. But prior to that, they were broadcasting on one of WTOP digital subchannels (103.5-HD2). It was operating on that channel since late 2014. Prior to that, it was called Voice of Russia. Also the current analog FM transmission W288BS 105.5FM is just retransmitted from one of WKYS's digital subchannels (93.9-HD3), which was carrying Radio Sputnik before the their start on analog FM in June, 2017:

dcist.com...

Communications attorney John Garziglia confirmed that he's the owner, as part-owner of Reston Translator LLC. He says that Radio Sputnik has already been carried on HD radio, and the transition will have 105.5 rebroadcast 93.9 HD 3 for listeners.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I read your OP.

You are suggesting I read the thread to see everywhere your OP was BS.

OPs should begin with facts. Yours did not.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: nataylor

Somehow I don't think he is interested in facts.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Looks like the letter could have been clearer, but their point still stands. Tyler Durden focuses on this little detail to discredit them, that doesn't mean the issue shouldn't be investigated.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

And now, in an epic level of insane partisanship, fear mongering, and stupidity, three Democratic Congressman are calling on the FCC to investigate a Russian radio station for influencing the 2016 election.

Frankly, I am beginning to think these people are almost entirely unhinged. They're nuts!

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

And now, in an epic level of insane partisanship, fear mongering, and stupidity, three Democratic Congressman are calling on the FCC to investigate a Russian radio station for influencing the 2016 election.

Frankly, I am beginning to think these people are almost entirely unhinged. They're nuts!

Having the same feeling when hyperbolic, half-true OPs premised on articles written by Tyler Durden from Fight Club on Zero-Hedge are used to trigger factually challenged ideologues.

But what the hell...ATS right wingers got snowed and triggered again and Zerohedge got paid for the click-through for another click-bait trap.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Show me proof that sputnik in was broadcasting in dc in 2016.

Again, the Wikipedia article does not have a cite that says that. It is unsourced.

So provide a source and I will be happy to read it.
edit on 21-9-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants

Looks like the letter could have been clearer, but their point still stands. Tyler Durden focuses on this little detail to discredit them, that doesn't mean the issue shouldn't be investigated.

The BBC was heavily on favor of hillary.

So I assume you are for an investigation into them

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Here's a local DC media blogger:

web.archive.org...://www.dcrtv.com/

Sputnik Heard On 105.5 - 7/12 - The Washington Post does a piece on Radio Sputnik, the DC based English language radio channel that's backed by the Russian govermnent, which can now be heard on 105.5. No mention that the service was previously carried on a digital HD Radio channel of all-newser WTOP for many years.....

From April 20, 2016: www.dcrtv.com...

Just checked. WTOP's HD2 is still Russia's Radio Sputnik and its HD3 is still the Gamut.....

From October 25, 2015: www.dcrtv.com...

Locally, RT is carryed by Channel 30/WNVC while Radio Sputnik is carried on one of WTOP's digital subchannels.....

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I'm not opposed to it, though I won't be calling for it either. I admit, I'm partial to the BBC over Russian state-run media. It's a weird and complicated issue, I've been meaning to make a thread about it, if I can gather my thoughts.

The Democrats aren't all innocent, and not everyone who happens to agree with Russia about something is bad. I don't know how much Russian propaganda efforts may have affected the elections, Trump had plenty of grass roots support without them, but Russia does have an interest in destabilizing Western nations, which is best accomplished by amping up tensions between liberals and conservatives. I don't believe Trump was any sort of Manchurian candidate, either. But I think many of the users in this thread are being naive, intentionally or not.

Your posts are almost always very insightful and balanced, I think I guess I'm just more suspicious of Russia when it comes to this. Sure, it's an easy way for the left to attack some of their opponents, but that doesn't make it false.

Just FYI, I actually agree with Trump/Trumpers on some things. MSM has biases too, so I'm slightly torn on this.

EDIT: BBC is pretty transparent though, afaik. And my main point is that there appears to be have been some kind of Russian radio programming going on, even if they didn't use that particular frequency back then.
edit on 21-9-2017 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Show me proof that sputnik in was broadcasting in dc in 2016.

Sure...Plus the posts above..

WTOP FM
Sometime in or before June 2013, that LMA was replaced with the predecessor to what is now Radio Sputnik.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is a link from June 13th 2013...with video of Sputnik broadcasting...FROM THE SPUTNIK WEBSITE ITSELF

The Voice of Russia is to host the sixth video conference between Moscow, London and Washington on the Edward Snowden whistleblowing scandal.

Listen LIVE today, June 13, at 3:00 PM (GMT) on the Voice of Russia radio
in Washington DC WTOP-HD2 103.5 2FM,
WZHF 1390 AM in New York City
WNSW 1430 AM, in Miami
WKIS-HD2 99.9-2FM, in Chicago
WILV-HD2 100.3-2FM.

Read more: sputniknews.com...

Is the plan to quietly creep away until the next BS OP, or admit the OP is BS?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: robbeh
Lol the Dems are getting seriously deluded what next I wonder will they blame this on ...

Are getting? Brother, they been there for a while now.

And Republicans have been there way longer.

Hey now, I didn't intend for this thread to criticize my side!

it doesn't matter to your side anyway.....on ATS, liberal/democrat = wrong about everything...conservative/republican = correct on everything....regardless of facts

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

No I have a life too.

I told you the voice of russia page said they broadcast ended in Jersey in 2014.

I didn't see evidence that they were broadcasting dieting the election on fcc airwaves.

Sputnik own website I listed announced they were a new station in June 2017.

I can't read the above post but it appears it was in fact broadcasting in 2016.

Now as a previous poster mentioned the letter from the congressman sent mentioned the Nyt story about the Russian radio station, which the nyt article only mentions strahans new show with sputnik.

But it appears as if the station might well have been running in 2016 and if so the story in the op would not be correct.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

But it appears as if the station might well have been running in 2016 and if so the story in the op would not be correct.

The first clue might be that it is written by Tyler Durden on Zerohedge.

Now this is where you tell me "Tyler Durden" is the fictional assumed name of the guy who wrote it and he runs Zerohedge etc.

And I tell you I don't give a crap and Zerohedge is a clickbait factory for BS that exploits people's committed ideology where they refuse to ask questions and he uses the name Tyler Durden to hide behind because he regularly posts BS at Zerohedge.

All of which I suspect you knew before you posted the BS OP and spent pages defending the BS.

What a surprise...ZEROHEDGE

History and authorship

In 2009, shortly after the blog was founded, news reports identified Daniel Ivandjiiski, a Bulgarian-born former hedge-fund analyst who was barred from the industry for insider trading by FINRA in 2008, as the founder of the site, and reported that "Durden" was a pseudonym for Ivandjiiski.

"up to 40" people were permitted to post under the "Durden" name.
The website is registered in Bulgaria at the same address as that of Strogo Sekretno, a site run by Ivandjiiski's father,

Krassimir Ivandjiiski. Zero Hedge is registered under the name Georgi Georgiev, a business partner of Krassimir Ivandjiiski

Former Zero Hedge writer Colin Lokey said that he was pressured to frame issues in a way he felt was "disingenuous," summarizing its political stances as "Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry=dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft."

On leaving, Lokey said: "I can't be a 24-hour cheerleader for Hezbollah, Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, and Trump anymore. It's wrong. Period. I know it gets you views now, but it will kill your brand over the long run. This isn't a revolution. It's a joke."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

"I can't be a 24-hour cheerleader for Hezbollah, Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, and Trump anymore. It's wrong. Period. I know it gets you views now, but it will kill your brand over the long run. This isn't a revolution. It's a joke."

From the mouth of a Zerohedge journalist to hopefully the ears of ATS OP posters..

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Perhaps the person posting cia contracted washington post articles ought to look at his own website choices before criticizing others.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Meanwhile, a quick look at the New York Times' original article ("RT, Sputnik and Russia’s New Theory of War") reveals that even they noted that Sputnik Radio didn't start until after the election.

From the NY Times:

It’s hard to imagine Russia’s state-backed media getting any traction in the United States if there wasn’t already an audience for it. For some subset of Americans, the intelligence report singling out RT and Sputnik was just another attack from the supposed “deep state” that Breitbart, for instance, had been fuming about for months — and it was less than surprising when, this spring, Sputnik hired a former Breitbart reporter, Lee Stranahan, to start a radio show in Washington

The bolded part was the part bolded by zerohedge. It doesn't say anything about the station starting to broadcast in the spring of 2017 from the quote from the NY Times zerohedge uses. It says that Lee Stranhan was hired to start a radio show in the spring, nothing about the radio station starting in the spring.
edit on 22-9-2017 by Regnor because: added that the bolded part was the part originally bolded by the zerohedge website

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Perhaps the person posting cia contracted washington post articles ought to look at his own website choices before criticizing others.

Amazon was awarded a contract to supply Cloud Services Technology to the CIA in 2014.

Jeff Bezos purchased the Washington Post in 2013.

Jeff Bezos owns both the Washington Post and Amazon, thus the Washington is contracted by the CIA?

And thus Zerohedge, a site owned by a Russian Oligarch banned from the US for criminal activity and an outlet that has repeatedly been proven to publish fake Russian propaganda (even according to journalists who have worked there?) becomes magically credible and trustworthy?

That is your thinking?

You seem otherwise reasonably bright and to at least have an interest in credible, logical debate, which honestly makes me sad that you choose to trade your self-respect and compromise your credibility for a political ideology.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join