It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schoolers Forced To Lay In Dark Room, Wrists Bound As 'Slavery Project'...

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
In this case yes.

Why does parental desire outweigh what's best for the children?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

I'm trying, but I don't understand your argument. How is this indoctrination? Furthermore, all education is indoctrination... especially K-12 where the main purpose is to teach people how to be adults and function in society. You can't have education without indoctrination. But putting that point aside... I think you're saying it's liberal indoctrination rather than apolitical and that's what the problem is. Where were politics ever brought into this?

Teaching about slavery generally, most often involves teaching about what happened in Africa, it also often times looks at the political forces at work in the US to end it, and the opposition which relied on it. I don't think that has anything to do with politics, or atleast not with political parties.

And to answer your question about the trauma caused. Being in a familiar setting, not chained down, and made to experience light bondage for a few minutes to a couple hours, while under the supervision of someone who is taking care of you, is a far different experience from slave ships. It might give a person a small amount of empathy and understanding, but it is most definitely not a detrimental experience like a slave ship was.
A familiar setting? That's what makes it ok? I don't understand your thinking either.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
A familiar setting? That's what makes it ok? I don't understand your thinking either.

A large part of the trauma of slave ships was the environment of the ship itself. A classroom is not anywhere near as trauma invoking.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The program was removed from the curriculum so you can stop with the faux outrage.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

This is not in the best interest of the children. Something we do not agree on.
edit on 21-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

This is not in the best interest of the children. Something we do not agree on.

How is it not though? I've been asking that question for 15 pages now, and the only response I've gotten is that the parents are against it. No one has actually explained how it's harmful. No one has even rationalized why it goes against their parenting philosophy. Only unsupported opinions that it's bad. I've given many rationalizations at this point as to why it's either good, or at a minimum neutral. Give me an analysis of why you think it's bad.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

If in the last 15 pages you haven't gotten it. You won't.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

If in the last 15 pages you haven't gotten it. You won't.

All I've gotten in 15 pages is, "it's bad because I say it's bad".

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Re-read.

Binding anyone's hands should not and I can guarantee will not be part of any school "learning" in the future.

Can we agree binding a child's hands is wrong?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Re-read.

Binding anyone's hands should not and I can guarantee will not be part of any school "learning" in the future.

Forcefully? Of course. Who would not think that's wrong?
This is voluntary. And they allowed the mother's son to study independently in another classroom.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Again, there are legal questions with touching and binding the students.

And I find it difficult to believe that this is the first problem that has been had. OR that the permission slip is a pile of doo doo and it was not used (my opinion).

Regardless, binding a students hands with parental permission is still a big no no.

edit on 21-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It was a masking tape for goodness sake!
When I was in the 6th grade we did a Thanksgiving "simulation" where we pretended to be the Pilgrims and Indians. Teachers helped us to make clothes and helped us put them on, using tapes.
Sure you're not going overboard?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Re-read.

It depends on the context. Doing it forcibly, particularly in the context of punishment is wrong. I would be on your side 100% if the teacher were doing something like tying kids up and throwing them in a closet as punishment. That's not what was going on here though. Doing it with permission, especially parental permission, where students could be opted out, and in the context of an educational exercise I don't see a problem with.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Binding a students hands with masking tape is not a good learning tool and is begging for a law suit. I shouldn't have to tell you that.

These kids, their parents, grand parents, g grand parents had nothing to do with slavery and were not slaves. If they want to teach kids use the history books.

Do you wonder what the slave ship captains were saying? I do, I can't imagine the words were friendly or helpful. Is this scripted? Who ok'ed the verbiage?

This is a divisive issue and this is designed to exploit the slave/master pyrimidine.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

How would they win the law suit? They informed the parents. The mother complained. Her son didn't have to go through it. The program is removed. End of story.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

How would they win the law suit? They informed the parents. The mother complained. Her son didn't have to go through it. The program is removed. End of story.

It's illegal to touch students-for good reasons. Again something with the story does not pass the smell test.

The school should have someone with 1/2 a brain to rub together that could come up with a alternative learning experience that doesn't include binding kids and putting them a dark room to lay on the floor.

When the light of day was shone on this tom foolery, the school dropped it. for good reason.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Then what can you base the opinion on? Personal opinion?

Opinion is always based on the most available set of information we have at any given time, which then becomes a process of our mental filter to control that information into a meaningful concept, giving it the term "good" or "bad", "wrong" or "right" -- this is a heavily simplified analogy of course.

It's a much deeper subject than simply "I'm the parent, and my precious snowflake shouldn't be exposed to that".

Exactly, you should see how obviously your line of questioning is misplaced. This is not a debate about absolutes, this is a subjective discussion about how we feel. If you want to debate a humans capacity for making absolute judgements, be it they "right" or "wrong", then create your own thread. Your line of questioning is about humanity as a whole, not any one persons feeling nor in the context of what the OP expects, so please stick to your opinions about the subject within the OP.

EDIT
As an edit to add, realize that just because you can't understand someone's "feelings" on something, doesn't make them "wrong". Sometimes it's best to agree to disagree.
edit on 22-9-2017 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
Exactly, you should see how obviously your line of questioning is misplaced. This is not a debate about absolutes, this is a subjective discussion about how we feel. If you want to debate a humans capacity for making absolute judgements, be it they "right" or "wrong", then create your own thread. Your line of questioning is about humanity as a whole, not any one persons feeling nor in the context of what the OP expects, so please stick to your opinions about the subject within the OP.

But then there's no questioning of a point of view, and perhaps reconsideration that someone is thinking about the situation incorrectly. I go into threads looking to have my mind changed, I assume others do the same and they're not just espousing their beliefs over and over as that's not a discussion.

Simply saying "I think X" is not a convincing reason to change ones opinion to theirs.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Binding kids and putting them a dark room to lay on the floor all the while having "slave ship captains" free style yell things at them is not a good learning experience.

If you think it is, that is fine. But the school immediately thought it wasn't after it was exposed. And exposed is the correct word.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
lol

hows those math scores?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join