It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pepe the Frog's Creator Goes Legally Nuclear - Avatar Issues?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mericks74
If people don't know where the thing came from, he obviously didn't market it well.

It came from a comic by the artist. It's origin is very clear and it was pirated from the comic without permission. Now it's associated with a hate group and even the Anti-Defamation League lists it as a hate symbol now, forever ruining any future for it as marketable character.

LINK

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I don't know about the laws around IP but what I'm getting on the twitter is the copy wright has expired.
Matt Furie was too dumb to realize his trademark for Pepe The Frog has been expired since Oct 2016. False DCMA claims are strong violations. pic.twitter.com/B3S4Dk3rVX— Baked Alaska™ (@bakedalaska) September 18, 2017
tweet

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Oh. Well. See here's what drives me loony (don't take that too far) about this site. I'm now being boxed into defending the right. My opinion is that the guy showed no such discrimination against people on the general left using his frog image as a hangout buddy thing for years. And so the right can be issued a cease and desist, but half of them did not even realize where it came from.
edit on 19-9-2017 by mericks74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Matt furie talks about his comic creation becoming a symbol of the alt right.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

It must suck...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: KungfuStu
I don't know about the laws around IP but what I'm getting on the twitter is the copy wright has expired.

That is very unlikely. Copyrights are automatic (they don't require a seperate legal filing). Most of them currently last for 120 years from the date of creation (they've been gradually extended from 70 over the past few decades, due to Disney lobbying), however there are some exceptions. Even those exceptions are good for 25 years though.

Your link is referring to a trademark, but he's not going after them for a trademark violation. In fact, because trademarks must be actively protected... due to the widespread theft involved here, the author cannot defend his trademark because he can't go after all or even the majority of violations.

And incase you need the definitions, copyrights protect specific works (Mickey Mouse), trademarks protect company logos (Disney logo).
edit on 19-9-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: mericks74
If people don't know where the thing came from, he obviously didn't market it well.

It came from a comic by the artist. It's origin is very clear and it was pirated from the comic without permission. Now it's associated with a hate group and even the Anti-Defamation League lists it as a hate symbol now, forever ruining any future for it as marketable character.

LINK

They need to remove it as a hate symbol. That I'm sure of. Lesson learned??

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Yeah.... i have like 1,200 just on my phone alone. The bare nessicties. My computer has all of those, and probably least 2,000 more.
edit on 9 19 2017 by MDpvc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If it can be argued that he let people use his image for years without repercussion, it can be argued that half the people didn't know where the image came from. It would be different if he or someone could prove a conspiracy to hijack his things, being, or ideas or needle him or rush him out of his room with his person, ideas, or product. And such things are so provable. "In my opinion."

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Anyone using a symbol for hate, who is engaged in any such activity that they get put on a list as a suspect of potential terrorism, should in my opinion, be monitored discreetly and only by those who engage in such duties. This is a matter of law, not personality. As the man who created it clearly intended it for general use and obviously shows no even inclination to such activities, than this can not effect him personally. It is my opinion that things do not become hate symbols due to internet use and that watchdog groups should remove it from their list....

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I own copyrights and trademarks. I don't care what you do as long as you're not making $$$.

Just drop me a note or so if possible. Some stuff I own... after 30+ yrs... I just can't monitor the world....

But I have and will sue and stop YouTube videos... I'm still cool with using my stuff... Just drop a line, you know?

Thats why we "Copy-right"...for rights of origin and ownership.
MS

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It is my opinion, that those who are being monitored or are under supervision, should be monitored with eventual contact in mind. Not for fun, not for vengeance, but for proof of crime. If no crime has been committed, then nothing further can or should be done.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I like this. I also agree, that those who bear least responsibility, cannot or should not be charged for accidental use of obscure words or ideas. If no conspiracy exists..

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
je suis pepe

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Yeah me too. Me too...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Any such conspiracy, such as break and entry by virtual theft, and this includes a conspiracy of thieves to monitor an artist who is publicly unknown, and where such a thing is proven and can be, and often times believe me it is, can and should be brought to light. In due time, according to the least inconvenience to the wronged individual. And only after the individual in question has been contacted, all with least effect upon his life and or livelihood..this is my opinion. Most things out on the net can be scrubbed, imo. Wrong actions imo can not..

This is all, of course, my personal opinion..

edit on 19-9-2017 by mericks74 because: I'm so tempted to add "that of which no one gives a f@#/"

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mericks74

Actually? You're right. Owners really appreciate their stuff being promoted/used worldwide. Who wouldn't. Mine is on The Sopranos, in Trains, Planes and Automobiles.. and the movie Tommy Boy.

Rights for just one? $20,000...but it made Universal MILLIONS in it's usage... It didn't... but where it was used did. It's OK.

Some things the © owner should be paid for... Others? It's flattering and nice to be recognized.. Others is just plain stealing.

Thanks very much! Best, M. S.
edit on 19-9-2017 by mysterioustranger because: An oops

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

KEK

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

She rises...eventually.
Daylight chases the dark away.

(Keket)

As a concept, Kek was viewed as androgynous, his female form being known as Keket (also Kekuit).[2][3][4] Kek and Keket in some aspects also represent night and day, and were called "raiser up of the light" and the "raiser up of the night", respectively.[5]

Kek mythology

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Huh.. thats pretty cool. ..

In as much as I know what it is. Right now...I'm completely beat. The best to u (or you for those sticklers out there..I'm goin' in now and prayin' for the best..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join