It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon’s algorithm guides users to chemical combinations for producing explosives

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

You could put a eye out!

(Mom didn't know about the calcium carbide and the mayonnaise jar. Never did.)
edit on 9/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

My dad told me how his buddy in high school got out of the draft (by accident) by showing off his EOD skills. Good way of losing an arm never mind the eye. Then like a good father, he showed me how his friend did it (I didn't lose an eye or an arm. Lucky me)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday
Losing an arm has little effect on evolution.
Other body parts however and severity of injury, depending upon age...

www.darwinawards.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
Trying to restrict knowledge about explosive making is dumb. One of the first thing a chemist, amateur or pro, must learn is how common explosives are made, for the very purpose to avoid making them by mistake. Think about the organic peroxides. Ever heard about stories of students trying to clean a frit with Piranha solution then rinsing it with acetone?

And for fun experimentations in the young years, nothing will beat my tennis ball bazooka fueled by hydrogen!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cofactor

It doesn't even have to be explosive.

Ammonia and Clorox makes a really good cleaning solution, right?

(Don't try this. Really, don't. Just, don't.)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Remember the amateur chemist experiment book for the young telling us to heat parrafin and sulfur in a test tube for the purpose to gas the entire house with H2S? My parents liked it a lot...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Hell.
I remember chemistry sets.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Ever made Nitroglycerine in your bathtub just to see if you could?

Then watch as the temperature rapidly rises so you dump all the ice and run the hell out of your home and wait many hours to go back in, and if you back in your risking death a second time.

Then you notice it's still sitting in the bathtub and you have to figure out a way to remove it (call the police as a teenager?NO) without breathing near it as your very thoughts in your head could set it off...so in the end you just set on putting your hand in the mixture and slowly pull the plug out while waiting for death to come and that you'll probably end up detonating the neighborhood if it was shocked going down the drain pipe then laugh when an image of someone next door sitting on the toilet when it goes off.

All hypothetical of course.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

No. Never did that one.
Calcium carbide in a mayonnaise jar was quite sufficient. Thank you very much.

Destroyed my joy in all things explosive.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Ever made Nitroglycerine in your bathtub just to see if you could?

Then watch as the temperature rapidly rises so you dump all the ice and run the hell out of your home and wait many hours to go back in, and if you back in your risking death a second time.

Hg Fulminate is lot more fun! Soluble Hg organics will goes straight thru your glove and kill you and the smallest metallics contaminant dissolved into Hg will make it goes bang even under water. A very good Darwin award experiment.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Calcium carbide in a mayonnaise jar was quite sufficient.

I always wanted to try the Ca Carbide fishing method but could never get my hands on enough of the stuff.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Cofactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

The jar didn't make it to the water. That was the problem.
I know that sounds contradictory but I'm not going to go into the details. I was a clever lad.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Always blow things via remote control. In the day that was fig 8 wire, 6V lantern battery and a 4.5V heater element meant for starting gas burners.

Get lots of wire so you can take cover at a goodly distance ... just in case!

P

edit on 19/9/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I just threw the damned thing. Not quite far enough, but the scars faded.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Cool.
Just mix 'em up and see what happens.

Consider it evolution in action.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Along the lines of the Anarchists cookbook, there are important safety steps and specific ways things are supposed to be mixed that are left out.

A good way to lose a hand and that's being optimistic.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Any weans that paid attention in Chemistry class are capable of producing explosives that's just a fact.

Our old Science teacher taught us the basic premise of how to make Napalm from frozen orange juice, petrol, and styrofoam.

Point is people know better than to actually build or play about with dangerous materials, at least normal people that is.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

It doesn't even have to be explosive.

Ammonia and Clorox makes a really good cleaning solution, right?

(Don't try this. Really, don't. Just, don't.)

My mother did it accidentally when cleaning a floor.
She survived, but it took hospital care to get her back to good health.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

C4 is an explosive and is very stable.

I hear.

If I were to have made explosives as a teenager, which I didn't, I would agree with you. I also didn't make napalm a lot.

edit on 19-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I mixed up an approximation of the fuel used in the SRB on the space shuttle once.
That crap really burned brightly and put out dense white smoke.
Got the recipe from a book that my brother-in-law bought at Cape Canaveral.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm certain there was a BBC childrens program that taught children how to make model rockets using a plastic bottle, two balloons, a pair of scissors, a knitting needle, some bicarbonate of soda and some lemons. Put the bicarbonate of soda in one balloon, put the lemon juice in another place both balloons in a plastic bottle. make a hole in both balloons with the knitting needle and step back. And remember children, if your rocket doesn't take off, then don't go near it for 15 minutes as you may be seriously injured.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join