It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon’s algorithm guides users to chemical combinations for producing explosives

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Isn't that helpful? The chemicals were not listed in total by channel 4 (doing the investigation) for obvious reasons.

Amazon’s algorithm guides users to the necessary chemical combinations for producing explosives and incendiary devices. Ingredients which are innocent on their own are suggested for purchase together as “Frequently bought together” products, as it does with all other goods.

Channel 4 News has withheld the specific names of the chemicals, though their authenticity has been verified by experts.
www.channel4.com...

Channel 4 news was helpful enough to go and create a shopping basket and the put in black gun powder and Amazon made helpful suggestions like adding thermite. To be fair some people use thermite for target shooting but it can also be used in incendiary devices. But the site also suggested steel ball bearings, push button switches and battery connectors and cables.

Channel 4 News was able to create a “shopping basket” on Amazon with up to 45kg of ingredients for black powder. Under current legislation an individual may only produce 100g of black powder for private use without storage. The transaction was not completed.

Users searching the website for another widely available chemical are offered the other ingredients for thermite in a “Frequently bought together” section. These three chemicals when ignited create a hazardous reaction used in incendiary bombs and for cutting through steel.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Cool.
Just mix 'em up and see what happens.

Consider it evolution in action.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I watched this on Channel 4 News (UK) last night. Quite extraordinary. However, in Amazon's defence they probably did not predict this, and if they did how would any of their staff know how to create a bomb, thus amend the algorithm?

The problem for all of this is that in our world today if you wanted to, and you had a bit of knowledge, you could make a bomb from readily available products bought from anywhere. Just so happens that your wannabe terrorist may look to buying it all from Amazon, eBay, or wherever.

The solution is to control the sale of certain items, but that's not going to happen. Even if you did, a determined person will find a way around it.

My issue in the UK with Amazon is that the company still evades taxes. Evading taxes due from the sale to potential bomb makers is doubly bad!

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So it showed frequently bought together items?
Sorry?but what am I missing?
Its a cool/helpful feature. Make the items illegal to be bought together or something then. Click bait vibe

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Back when I was a boy Chemistry 101 was fun. Now it's a crime?

edit on 9/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The Black Powder might be kinda unstable and I don't know if I'd try that one. But if I remember right the stuff you use and the process of making Thermite are totally safe. To light the Thermite it takes first lighting magnesium rods or using a super hot torch maybe because it required something super hot to light it.

But once lit, it's off and going and just burns through everything until it burns out.

Until lit it's completely stable.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheFatedOutsider

I get what you are saying, I was more interested in the chemicals that the investigating channel didn't list.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Thermite is not an explosive.

C4 is an explosive and is very stable.

I hear.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: TheFatedOutsider

I get what you are saying, I was more interested in the chemicals that the investigating channel didn't list.

Very interesting.
Tell me why you are so interested in these chemicals.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

They are perfectly legal to purchasein the US. These arre US companies so whats thr problem. The UK has shippingregulations that companies would need to follow. Ive purchased Thermite in the past its very useful. As for black powder only certain states require a permit to buy ammo etc. Though in truth paradex is better and can get that at walmart.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

A bit of fertilizer , a bit of diesel in the right proportions you got the makings of a bomb . Problem is you need a small bang to make the big bang .

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

If I did now, what I did as a teenager ... I would go to prison for the rest of my life.

'Sending' old and empty 44G drums out to sea was awesome. The neighbors came to watch. One old ex-military guy even checked my wiring and then told my foster Mum not to worry as I was really safe.

Then we has a visit from the head of security for our local oil refinery who asked ever so politely if I could stop as it made them jump.

So I stopped sending drums over and kept the cool things I made for fire works week night.

P

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Thermite is not an explosive.

C4 is an explosive and is very stable.

I hear.

Of course. But that's military grade stuff.

But no, thermte isn't an explosive. It's a real hot match head for a time.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

If I did now, what I did as a teenager ... I would go to prison for the rest of my life.

I could be missing an eye.
Wait...
I should be missing an eye. Science is fun. Calcium carbide and water is scary.

www.bigbangcannons.com...
edit on 9/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

They used to have things like sodium cyanide in the kits. I guess they could disolve gold or kill their neighbors. Truth be told though there is always ways to purchase chemicals as long as you know what products they can make. A trip to lowes and you could make c4.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
Tell me more about these chemicals.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: dragonridr
Tell me more about these chemicals.

Go look whats in crystal drano :-)

Ps ever made a sugar rocket?
edit on 9/19/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Calcium carbide and water is scary.

Check out that carefully measured water Delivery System.
And
The Remote Detonation Device, state of the art!!

Calcium Carbide Cannon

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Yeah. The carefully controlled part.
I missed that.

The glass mayonnaise jar turned out to be a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

So is moth balls, sugar, and something else. It's weird the stuff we had as kids vs. now. (for the record I have no idea how old anybody here is, but as a kid I had a science kit that included radioactive martials, fireworks fixins, and other fun stuff)

It's sad that kids can't play with this type of stuff today, even with the big push for STEAM/STEM.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join