It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about hyper speed in space

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I believe thats where vacuum metrics engineering comes in.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Interesting. How would you deal with the light speed relativity issue if you wanted to go FTL

um dont you bend that when you make your craft massless while in th efield? All things inside th efield also go massless/gravity resistant. the only thing keeping us from FTL is the energy requirement,which if you render th efuel and engine massless as well as th eship eventually you can get Fast AS light not beyond it. to go beyond light you need to move up a dimension into hyperspace.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
But the chances of hitting anything of superior size or density in space anyway are... astronomical? I mean, space is huge - super huge, it would be like going careening in the Sahara and being felled by a random boulder.

Relative question: Does the Flying Spaghetti Monster have a deflector dish as well?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Of course.
Without a dish, the pasta would just go everywhere.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The warp bubble would deflect all the small debris and an advanced navigation system would help to avoid large objects.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

Actually, the warp bubble would possibly accumulate and store any associated energies it encounters along its path down to the space-time dilation effects associated with producing said warp bubble.

How this would affect any craft or occupants along for the ride or when the ship arrives and the warp bubble collapses is as of yet mere speculation but it might not end well for the occupants or target destination.
edit on 21-9-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
But the chances of hitting anything of superior size or density in space anyway are... astronomical? I mean, space is huge - super huge, it would be like going careening in the Sahara and being felled by a random boulder.

It wouldn't take hitting anything large. At the speeds we're talking about, something the size of a grain of sand could do massive damage. And yes, space is super huge, but your'e also traveling tremendous distances, so even though everything is pretty diffuse eventually you will run into something. Hence the need for the deflector dish.

originally posted by: auroraaus
Relative question: Does the Flying Spaghetti Monster have a deflector dish as well?

Don't be silly. He doesn't need one.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Kind of like that coyote on roller skates with a fishing pole reeling himself in!!

@BASS

My thinking was along those lines (Yuppa). A little analogy. If you create a bubble in the quantum foam with your craft inside then everything should flow around you like a stream flows around a rock. Like you were not there. It is not a perfect analogy because we all know the rock gets smoothed by the water eventually but that is the general idea.

I found this article at phys.org a while back: Scientists accelerate airflow in mid-air.

There, they are using a phased ultrasonic array to manipulate a spray of mist in mid air. Of course, my imagineering mind went back to "how would I make one work?" We've discussed plasmas in various forms (and forums!), so if you can do that with sound why not light? I mean, frikkin' lasers? That would make sense. The phased laser array become your fishing poll, the quantum bubble is your roller skates, and your hi-tech craft is the coyote chasing after the FTL roadrunner!

ACME would be the Black Projects that drops mysterious boxes off in the middle of the desert!

--Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

aieeeeee....now i can tget that image ou tof my head!1*bangs head against wall*

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Better than goose stepping yetis marching around Antarctica!!

I got that from just reading the title of that thread!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

I have read them all. Actually all of the known space books. I wish there were more

edit on 24-9-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join