It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I was just doing my job': Soviet officer who averted nuclear war dies at age 77

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

With all of our current "political hot spots" trying to boil over; this story should sober some of the warhawks up a bit maybe.

Many have heard about how we came close to WW3 back in the 1980's... and the actions of a lone Russian officer prevented it from happening.

Well, that Russian officer, has passed away now.

I try to imagine the EXTREME pressure he must have been subjected to during that crisis moment when he somehow prevented the world from blowing itself into bits & pieces.

A Soviet officer who prevented a nuclear crisis between the US and the USSR and possible World War III in the 1980s has quietly passed away. He was 77. In 2010 RT spoke to Stanislav Petrov, who never considered himself a hero. We look at the life of the man who saved the world.
A decision that Soviet lieutenant colonel Stanislav Petrov once took went down in history as one that stopped the Cold War from turning into nuclear Armageddon, largely thanks to Karl Schumacher, a political activist from Germany who helped the news of his heroism first reach a western audience nearly two decades ago.

On September 7, Schumacher, who kept in touch with Petrov in the intervening years, phoned him to wish him a happy birthday, but instead learned from Petrov’s son, Dmitry, that the retired officer had died on May 19 in his home in a small town near Moscow.

On September 26, 1983, Stanislav Petrov was on duty in charge of an early warning radar system in a bunker near Moscow, when just past midnight he saw the radar screen showing a single missile inbound from the United States and headed toward the Soviet Union.

“When I first saw the alert message, I got up from my chair. All my subordinates were confused, so I started shouting orders at them to avoid panic. I knew my decision would have a lot of consequences,”

"I was just doing my job"; Soviet officer who averted nuclear war dies at age 77

In my opinion, this was another "unsung hero" of mankind, until a retired Russian General spoke of his actions to a German newspaper.. "BILD". He caught a lot "flack" for his actions at the time. And it was super secret stuff for many years.

Yet, we are here today, largely in part, due to his actions on that fateful day.

It should also serve as a sober reminder of how easy it is to "be human" and make mistakes. Or fall victim to faulty technology.

When you add all of the "boiling political hot spots" in our current world together; you are presented with a much more volatile "sit-rep" than has existed since maybe the late 1930's.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

The man who saved the world.
RiP

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Wow, this guy should have been a shoe in for the Nobel Peace prize. I wish I could thank him.
edit on 18-9-2017 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hello network dude,

Yes, you would think so wouldn't you?

But it was secret stuff, for many years. He wasn't even allowed to discuss it with his wife.

So, you add years from the event; threat to his well being if he spoke of it. And add to that the thing that no "big government" can do... and that is admit fault or mistake, or the truth about something. For years and years sometimes.

In his afterlife, this man certainly deserves a blessed one, and a golden mansion.

Pravdaseeker

a reply to: network dude

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
RIP sir and thank you deeply for maintaining peace during your time here.

Hoping that there are others who can follow in your footsteps...

Lags

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Dear Lagomorphe,

Hoping that there are others who can follow in your footsteps...

Boy, if those aren't some truly heavy "words" there... indeed, and well said.

If there ever were a time for "people who can maintain peace in the world"; it most certainly is in our times today.

Honestly, I am not sure what it was that took over our society worldwide.. is/was it a combo of massive debt, overpopulation (perceived anyhow), resources drying up?????

I remember when the "State Department", and the position of Secretary of State, was the top diplomatic position in government. It still is...

But it "used to be" a position that sought peace through diplomacy, trying "almost any means" to avoid war. I suppose I am going back to the U.K.'s Neville Chamberlain's efforts as one example, and perhaps the last real era where head diplomats at least seemed to pursue peace.

For a long time now, with both parties in power in the USA, the Sec. of State appears to most of the world; as having evolved into a pro-war, or at least into a hegemonic political arm twister for other nations.

Nikki Haley, and previous UN reps have been very bellicose in their rhetoric. This was also a position that is to seek peaceful resolutions in the world.

Diplomacy: The profession, activity, or skill of managing international relations, typically by a country's representatives abroad.

The art of dealing with people in a sensitive and tactful way.
"with perfect diplomacy, he divided his attention between Meryl and Anthea"
synonyms: tact, tactfulness, sensitivity, discretion, subtlety, finesse, delicacy; M

I posted this as a real world reminder to how fragile our existence has come down to in this "new-clur" age. Things are getting dicey economically, and historically, war has followed. War is caused by, driven by, economics; and it's outcome is usually steered towards future economic goals.

Pravdaseeker

a reply to: Lagomorphe

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Talk about an unsung hero...wow. This guy risked everything that was good in his life...to save everything that's good and bad in the world.
edit on 18-9-2017 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

There's a documentary about him somewhere. He said he was one of the few civilians and how it made all the difference. If he'd been a disciplined, trained Soviet he would have followed his orders without question and launched the response.

Imagine that? His moment of doubt and reflection kept humanity on the rails.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Dear Kandinsky,

Precisely. I failed to mention it, but I thought it was almost universally considered as a "small miracle"
once the information on his actions came out of secrecy.

Perhaps some sort of "divine intervention"? His reptilian brain being activated into a "fight or flight" survival logic mode?

Yes, it appears we managed to stay on the rails for another 35 years or so...

Danger.. track out ahead.. if we continue on our current roller coaster journey.

I think my avatar is your avatars older cousin... perhaps? Ha!

Pravdaseeker

a reply to: Kandinsky

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I love stories like this when one person seems to carry the weight of eternity on their shoulders. Life goes on, but what kind of world would we have after a nuclear war? Under different circumstances, his hesitation could have cost millions of lives and thankfully he made the right call.

It's so typical of life how the rest of his days were distinctly average. Hero for a moment!

With regards from your Avatar cousin.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
A real hero is someone who saves the day without fanfare doing whats right
no matter what.

this man did.

fate made him a soviet officer he is an unsung hero to us all and his passing demands note.

Godspeed colonel Petrov

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
For sure a real hero. But what do you think the spinoff is meant to be ?

Im so happy it will never happen in America. Coz that's gonna take some serious brain power!

secret code

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Every country needs a hero. Somebody hung the moniker around this guy's neck.

I am not fooled by the propaganda for a second.

If it cooled tensions around the world ... so much the better.

The bottom Line: America didn't launch anything at the Soviet Union ... and certainly not a single missile.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hey there Snarl,

Granted, it didn't happen, but almost did.

There was a time in 1979 when the USA thought Russia had launched against them!

During the close-call in 1979, defence chiefs at the North American Aerospace Defence Command in Colorado were told of a major, imminent attack by Soviet forces.

Computer screens at the top-secret base filled with images showing the early stages of an attack, and they prepared to retaliate.

It was only after a thorough investigation and a check of the back-up radar that a revenge strike was called off at the last minute.

Incredible moment USA came within 30 SECONDS of launching NUCLEAR strike on Russia

We don't know the true number of false alarms by both sides during the Cold War...

The more I read about some of these close calls, the more I reckon mankind has dodged a bullet more than once.

Pravdaseeker

a reply to: Snarl

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

No kidding, he deserves it so much more than some recent recipients.
A true hero.

top topics

join