It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Illness Affecting Wildlife Forcing Police To Shoot, Kill Animals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

ROSS TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — Some people who live in Ross Township say something strange is going on with wildlife in the area. They are concerned and wondering if it could also affect them.

...................“They seem to be sick, doesn’t seem to be rabies. The reason why they are saying they are sick is because they are not responding, moving or running away from them and they are listless. It’s like they are dying,” said Meyer...............

pittsburgh.cbslocal.com...

^Full news story/video here ^

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Sounds like the beginning of a Stephen King book.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Grew up trapped/hunted and still live in the area. Sound like Distemper to me......

If their eyes are caked up and they stumble towards humans like they are drunk that they would normally run away from? Distemper!

edit on 18-9-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm sorry but, am I the only one that finds this statement from the authorities ridiculous?!!

Ross Township Police say they shoot and kill five to 10 animals a day, then toss them back into the woods.

Perhaps they could be captured and tested, or shot and tested...TESTED to find out exactly what is causing the behavior.
If they aren't threatening, I don't understand why this wouldn't be the course of action.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sounds like rabies to me.
Paralytic phase rabies to be specific.

Rabies clinical signs.

An animal with dumb rabies tends to be narcotic, depressed, and lethargic.

edit on b000000302017-09-18T12:44:39-05:0012America/ChicagoMon, 18 Sep 2017 12:44:39 -05001200000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Can't expect a screwdriver to hammer nails...

This is why a good leader is a multitool and not a single goal oriented being.

We don't know why these animals are all acting funny...

A random stranger " Did you test their blood? "

Local authorities " Whatfor? They aren't applying for life insurance "

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

So much about this story just seems plain wrong.

Why hasn't there been specific testing to find out the cause?

Why would the police be killing up to ten animals a day and throwing their diseased and dead bodies back into the affected areas?

None of this makes any kind of sense.

The people in the area have to be more demanding for a source of this illness. It is not just their pets that may be affected, it could be them, and their children, that are at risk of a possible danger.

edit on 18-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined
In order to test one of the animals, it would need to be killed without doing any damage to the brain. Then the head is removed and sent to one of the regional testing labs for testing.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Because the people in charge have no clue as to what is proper response.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy
No need to kill. Why not tranquilize one and test it living. There must be a common denominator and the first thing I would go for is their water supply as it just might be humans water supply as well.
They're idiots. The carcasses should be burnt to stop transference.

edit on 18-9-2017 by crayzeed because: added sentence.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

So much about this story just seems plain wrong.

Why hasn't there been specific testing to find out the cause?

Why would the police be killing up to ten animals a day and throwing their diseased and dead bodies back into the affected areas?

None of this makes any kind of sense.

The people in the area have to be more demanding for a source of this illness. It is not just their pets that may be affected, it could be them, and their children, that are at risk of a possible danger.

Correct!

Normally the Pennsylvania State Game Commission would be called in to deal with this type of situation if it involved wild critters! Only us country folk would know that though.......city folk? Not so much....

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

We are in the age of the internet. Almost everyone over the age of two is connected in some way or another.

Information is just a few keystrokes and clicks away. Ignorance is a poor excuse in our new era.

Even if they haven't learned that the internet can be used as a resource for valuable information, an ISO done on Twitter, Facebook, or even Reddit would give them some idea of how to proceed.

edit on 18-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

They've (police) have had to kill over 500 already? In a month?

Wowza. This is freaky.

peace

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The video says they're 'not allowed' to.

Also - they're linking this to the rabies vaccines.

Ouch.

peace

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
leaving that many dead animals around for a length of time might be a mistake, depending on what is later found. Seems like other animals with be interacting or eating from the dead. Maybe it's part of the spread.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Because Ross, Shaler, Millvale, West Veiw etc etc etc get an outbreak of Rabies far more than goes reported. Destroying 5 to 10 a day during summer month are not uncommon. So i can see how it would be esier to just kill an animal and leaving it rather than saving at least one sample for testing. Ross especially gets a bit busy with other calls to have to deal with animals.

My dogs are up to date on all shots.
A little ticked however that if they were distributing vaccines via pellet and not informing residents. 🤔

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

This is how unqualified people create screwed up situations. Hopefully people with more knowledge will get involved.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I never saw that notice....

Not via news or in letter form from our Township.
edit on 18-9-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Seen it here in the eastern BX twice.

I spend ALOT of time in the woods. I like the Bronx river and Hudson.

I saw one racoon in its death throws walk around me like I was invisible. It fell out of trees and looked drunk. I thought it was rabies. I got closer and it wasnt rabid, it was like a zombie.

The second time a patrol car was stationed by one in morning. I think they were waiting for animal control. They werent interested enough to get out and kill it.

In all this Ive seen pets with it roaming around. Cats mostly. Dogs in my neighborhood tend to be well kept pitbulls. Cats roam wild here.

Seeker1963 is probably right. Distemper seems to fit.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: seeker1963

Because Ross, Shaler, Millvale, West Veiw etc etc etc get an outbreak of Rabies far more than goes reported. Destroying 5 to 10 a day during summer month are not uncommon. So i can see how it would be esier to just kill an animal and leaving it rather than saving at least one sample for testing. Ross especially gets a bit busy with other calls to have to deal with animals.

My dogs are up to date on all shots.
A little ticked however that if they were distributing vaccines via pellet and not informing residents. 🤔

Last summer I saw a vehicle spreading something out of the back. I want out and checked and they were small pellets. We weren't even having any issues at the time as far as I was aware.... It wasn't a Game Commission Vehicle either, so I am wondering if we are having issues with local government THINKING they know the problem and overstepping their authority by not contacting the Game Commission?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join