It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen King and his opinion on Trump golf ball tweet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You'd think these folks would keep some negative opinions to themselves, seeing how they rely on the public to view them in a certain light, once that view is broken, it isn't often regained.

In otherwords, talk is cheap.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
You'd think these folks would keep some negative opinions to themselves, seeing how they rely on the public to view them in a certain light, once that view is broken, it isn't often regained.

In otherwords, talk is cheap.

You are only looking at it from one side. Maybe he's picking up support from the majority that can't stand Trump.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Trump is a mentally unstable, narcissistic megalomaniacal sociopath.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Actually considering how Trump is globally considered a clown I'd say posting negative comments about him is likely to have a positive effect to their popularity.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think Trump is despicable, but he's symptomatic of larger things. It knows no political or idealogical boundary.

Things like this will be the reasoning to curb internet freedoms, and ultimately, the thoughts we're allowed to have privately. These're solid reasons, not fabricated. Yet it has large ramifications for how we define ourselves. I sympathize with those who're aghast Trump would tweet this, or Kathy Griffin would do that, since this is a reasonable reaction.

Sometimes our presence on Earth is like people in a voluminous but shrinking room. There's decreasing space for privacy, and eventually even private thought is trampled on by the crowds of people. It forces me to ask what's individuality, and what's worth keeping versus evicting.

But it's not evne that simple; it's just a starting point. Sometimes people don't know it's shrinking. It shrinks at different rates in different places. And sometimes after it has shrunk, we can't remember how we did it when it was bigger. And to some amount, this is what I think Trump represents. It's complex, and it leaves me feel insecure about the future.

It reminds me of this, but only partially:
www.sciencedaily.com - Neanderthal brains focused on vision and movement leaving less room for social networking...

Homo Erectus likely had the same problem as Neanderthal. In our fast changing (shrinking) world, something similar is occurring, but it's very hard to pin down the where and how and so on. Whne I look ahead, I see a shrinking highly skilled workforce, large numbers of people in school, increasing government dependence for average persons, and huge reliance on AI and machines for production and research. Ther're many factors in determining what's social and what we'll need in the future.
edit on 9/18/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=22677110]richapau[/post

Hi, richapau,

Any leaders of other countries you'd like to describe the same? Surely Trump ain't the only one.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe>>>> I like King's work from decades ago but his last 20 years of writing has been forgettable. But he's got his head up his kiester when it comes to politics.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I must have a %uck*d up mind because I thought the tweet was hilarious! I think you're just a bad person if you don't think it's funny.

edit on 22-9-2017 by Doctor Smith because: added

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: Cutepants
a reply to: Butterfinger

Both of those things could be funny, and/or they could indicate that someone has a #ed-up mind. It's all about context. I've never read any of King's books, but just because sick things happen in them it doesn't make him a hypocrite. It's not like he made a joke about sex involving the child of his political opponent.

No, but he does write pointless child orgies into his books.

Have you read the book? Know the context?

I have IT sitting on my bookshelf and I'm not exactly sure why all the boys had to bang Beverly in order for them all to escape the cave.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: Cutepants
a reply to: Butterfinger

Both of those things could be funny, and/or they could indicate that someone has a #ed-up mind. It's all about context. I've never read any of King's books, but just because sick things happen in them it doesn't make him a hypocrite. It's not like he made a joke about sex involving the child of his political opponent.

No, but he does write pointless child orgies into his books.

Have you read the book? Know the context?

I have IT sitting on my bookshelf and I'm not exactly sure why all the boys had to bang Beverly in order for them all to escape the cave.

You don't have to be sure why. That's because it is a piece of fiction written by someone other than yourself. They didn't write if for you personally.
Please, start reading more books. Consider many of the classics. Then, book by book, author by author, explain how you don't understand why the author made the choices they did. I'll await your report in about 200 years.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Funny Tweet, no one is really upset by it, they just have to pretend to be so that they can bash Trump. It's the only play in their playbook for Trump, pretend to be offended so they have something to whine about. It will backfire on them, just like all the fake outrage they had about Trump leading up to the election.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Funny Tweet, no one is really upset by it, they just have to pretend to be so that they can bash Trump. It's the only play in their playbook for Trump, pretend to be offended so they have something to whine about. It will backfire on them, just like all the fake outrage they had about Trump leading up to the election.

Hilarious tweet, right? Then again, coming from the camp who found Fox 1/2 Hour News Hour funny, it's not shocking.

Here's a funny sexual harassment sketch from FOX, the serial sexual harassers

MetaCritic's television division, which produces composite scores based on prominent reviewers' opinions of television pilots, other episodes, and/or DVD releases,[11] gave The Half Hour News Hour pilots a score of 12 out of 100,[12] making it the lowest-rated television production ever reviewed on the site

Typically right wing attempts at comedy show they have no idea what the concept of comedy actually is. So yeah, funny.
edit on 22-9-2017 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Would you like to come and survey the over 800 books I have in my home ranging from classic to schlock just to satisfy yourself that I am, in fact, literate, or would that spoil the burn you obviously feel you have gotten in?

Seriously, generally speaking, I find that in most cases authors construct rather coherent narratives and I can make out why they made the choices they did about this or that thing. That particular scene in IT has always puzzled me. Generally speaking, King usually makes choices that make sense on some level, so either the scene was edited/written in such a way that the reason was made too vague or obscured.

It's not so much what happened. I have books that are full of things far worse than that scene, but it seemed sort of out of character and sudden for all of them at that point.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

Hilarious tweet, right? Then again, coming from the camp who found Fox 1/2 Hour News Hour funny, it's not shocking.

Here's a funny sexual harassment sketch from FOX, the serial sexual harassers

MetaCritic's television division, which produces composite scores based on prominent reviewers' opinions of television pilots, other episodes, and/or DVD releases,[11] gave The Half Hour News Hour pilots a score of 12 out of 100,[12] making it the lowest-rated television production ever reviewed on the site

Typically right wing attempts at comedy show they have no idea what the concept of comedy actually is. So yeah, funny.

Meh, biased liberal opinion. I guess us right wingers aren't human, just robots, with no understanding of human comedy.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Would you like to come and survey the over 800 books I have in my home ranging from classic to schlock just to satisfy yourself that I am, in fact, literate, or would that spoil the burn you obviously feel you have gotten in?

Seriously, generally speaking, I find that in most cases authors construct rather coherent narratives and I can make out why they made the choices they did about this or that thing. That particular scene in IT has always puzzled me. Generally speaking, King usually makes choices that make sense on some level, so either the scene was edited/written in such a way that the reason was made too vague or obscured.

It's not so much what happened. I have books that are full of things far worse than that scene, but it seemed sort of out of character and sudden for all of them at that point.

Ha! Yes, I would like to see your collection - and I know you are literate. Based on your posts much more so than me.

I guess I threw that out there to you because I can tell you are well read. And if so, haven't you ever wondered the same thing with passages from other books?

King writes bizarre fantasy and horror - I agree with you on the particular scene in the book - it left me saying, "hmmm, I don't think that was necessary." But in no way did it alter my perception of the author.

Like you say, there are a lot worse things in other books. Context allows for it and your argument seems to be, "I can't see why he'd put this in there, it isn't in context. Perhaps he is a little nuts." I'd be willing to be King has thought about it a lot too, and he may even have regrets about it.

After all, he is one of the few authors I can think of who have censored his own work (RAGE) - he won't allow it to be sold anymore.

That said, if you are someone who loves books you must understand writing one is entirely personal and it is a work of art that is not meant to make everyone feel good.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

Hey, Adam Sandler makes more money than most in Hollywood. All is not lost for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join