It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University president apologizes for hosting black students in his home with cotton decorations

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I had never heard of that practice before, that is some sick s*** right there.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

“The content of the centerpieces was offensive, and I could have handled the situation with more sensitivity,” said Lowry. “I sincerely apologize for the discomfort, anger or disappointment we caused and solicit your forgiveness.”

DaFu....

This crap is getting out of hand. What? Do these overly sensitive people have someone else open their pill bottles for them?

ETA: Do these people wear jeans? Guess what they are made of.
edit on 19-9-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I a long ago, knew of gator baits, using blk kids as targets using hard baseballs very popular among adult males, or having them fight out a battle royal, may have alluded to those practices in a thread a long time ago, but not a thread dedicated to it..i did not do so , so depressing plus the last thing I wanna read is clueless racist Mfkrs making lite of it all, so I chose not to, some things are just too painful too ugly to put out there.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

That was an appalling thing to read about and even me, who can try to find humor in just about anything, was totally disgusted by that. I would say make a thread but it's just so damn morally and spiritually depressing it may not even be worth it.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That was an appalling thing to read about and even me, who can try to find humor in just about anything, was totally disgusted by that. I would say make a thread but it's just so damn morally and spiritually depressing it may not even be worth it.

It is bad enough that you want to wish that it wasn't true, but unfortunately it is true. We have to look at our nation's ugly side to make sure that we don't forget.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It is bad enough that you want to wish that it wasn't true, but unfortunately it is true. We have to look at our nation's ugly side to make sure that we don't forget.

Yeah, the indifference and casualness of it all is what really impacted me, the alligator skin value > black baby value was despicable.

I went to read about this further and Snopes is saying it may be apocryphal.

edit on 19-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
A cotton-picking nothingburger.
yeah just a bunch of pick- a- ninnies - quite remarkable really -i hope he hid the bananas while he had guests.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This man is a weak man but this has to take its course because it is going to come to its end sooner or later.

Here we have a perfect example of 100% absolute irrational, crazy left wing madness. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm waiting for them to ban the song 'High Cotton' by Alabama

And most of their album covers.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
A thought occurs to me. Were not slaves used on tobacco plantations as well? In that case, smoking would also be racist. And the Romans and Greeks employed slaves to teach their children, which means that pre-college education must be racist...
There's a lot of mileage in this.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Getcha some of deez.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
A thought occurs to me. Were not slaves used on tobacco plantations as well? In that case, smoking would also be racist. And the Romans and Greeks employed slaves to teach their children, which means that pre-college education must be racist...
There's a lot of mileage in this.

I am a bit disappointed in your post above DISRAELI, you act as if time and context never matters, imperial Rome & Greek empires, long gone,slaves and citizens have long blended into the modern population for thousands of years, beyond the memory of anyone present, Christians and Jews may check their religious books,
But only yesterday I read of an 87yrs old AA lady, who was surprised to see the same slave cabin she was born and raised in , featured as a museum display.
Time and context brother, time and context.
edit on 21-9-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

But only yesterday I read of an 87yrs old AA lady, who was surprised to see the same slave cabin she was born and raised in , featured as a museum display.

If this was a very recent article, she would have been born in 1930.
If she was actually born into slavery, the article that you read would have been published in 1932 or before.
So she may have been born in a home that was formerly slave quarters.

I went to school with some kids that lived in a home that had been converted from a chicken coop. That didn't make the children chickens.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

yes and in fact there are many structures that were built and housed slaves all over the world still standing that are considered historical monuments. even where the former slaves have blended into the modern population for thousands of years. and people that have a heritage from that period still remember written and spoken stories from that time.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

yes and in fact there are many structures that were built and housed slaves all over the world still standing that are considered historical monuments. even where the former slaves have blended into the modern population for thousands of years. and people that have a heritage from that period still remember written and spoken stories from that time.

Yes, it is called history, whether passed by word of mouth or the written word. The accounts that the member Disraeli posted referring to the Greeks are also historical, and no less important.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

actually i was agreeing with you, i guess it didn't come out that way.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

My point was how recently removed she was from slave grand parents, not ancient history.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

My point was how recently removed she was from slave grand parents, not ancient history.

I understood that and take exception to the fact that you are differentiating between recent and ancient history. It is history. If we give some history less credence because it is 'too old', we can think... 'Oh, it is less important.' That isn't so. The woman knew nothing of slavery personally, she only knows what she has been told, IOW, history.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

actually i was agreeing with you, i guess it didn't come out that way.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Please accept my apology for that.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

True. But I find more difficult to identify with..let's say Medieval Mali than say this old lady's grandparents.
Time and context.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join