It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stain or Stein just got real interesting

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

I read the link and even read some other threads by the OP to get a perspective of his thoughts. He isn't a run of the mill nutter from what I have seen over the years.

But no, I cannot view ME from a perspective other than my own, which so far, seems to point to bad memory being the problem and somehow NOT willing to admit it being the entirety of the ME. If I ever see something that I cannot explain, cannot imagine, cannot fathom, I might be persuaded to believe, but then, who really cares what I think.

The VW logo thing is a real and tangible part of this theory, all other aspects seem to fall into the poor memory category.
I am sorry for having this opinion, but it's mine.
edit on 18-9-2017 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: sputniksteve

....The only part of the ME I have found to be of interest is the VW logo thing. I am looking for an answer on that one, as I think it was a production error in some plant, but until I find a verifiable answer, there is indeed both logos out there and it's verifiable. Which kind of kills the ME narrative, as they both exist in the same "timeline".

Maybe the VW logos without the "split" are aftermarket/knock-off parts....maybe?

Honestly, I'm not that familiar with this issue to know if there are VW factory logos (verified as such) that do not include the "split".

I believe there is an explanation, like what you suggested, but until I know, it's worthy of at least looking into. But as I said, it demolishes the ME as both things exist in the here and now. So unless someone crossed the streams, there is a logical reason.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Ive been on both sides of the ME argument. I have no clue what to think. Can a lot of us be 'mis-remembering'. Definitely. Esp with proof of toys and books being 'mislabeled'. we could have seen mis labeled versions as children and that is the root of the problem. But I feel like theres simply too many people who remember stein for it to be the cause of a few random mis prints.

Could it be both? Both names existed depending on the observer. We were always told the tech we had was lightyears ahead of what the population knew of. Could this be a Schrodinger cat experiment? That would help to explain the 'experiment' thats taking place ( should one actually be causing this riff)
edit on 18-9-2017 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

not willing to admit a mistake might be a good part of it as well. I mis remember lots of stuff, but I chalk that up to me being an idiot. I can accept that. But to believe that because I mis remember something the same way lots of others do , since it's something like this that would be easy to switch, would go against common sense. Which is more plausible, poor memory, or a dimensional split that only affected a small group and then, only about something as mundane as children's books.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The 'which is more likely' arument works.. until it doesnt.

Which is more likely? That the government used the ufo craze to its advantage and made crafts to look like UFOs to cover up their true black budget projects? or that inter-dimensional beings traveled across the cosmos to look at us.

I mean, that doesnt stop me from believing that some UFOs are in fact alien.

Same with this situation. While logically, it would seem that millions are just mis remembering, but that argument alone does not make it so. Its an explanation based on intuition. Were all adding conjecture here because there's no 'proof' either way. This is one of those arguments that could go back and forth until the end of time or real evidence is presented. How on earth do you prove a negative, some anti Me folks might say. While I dont feel like the burden is on ME deniers, I do feel like ' youre not remembering right' is exactly the argument 'they' want you to make.

IF the ME is real. I think its one big 21st century Schrodinger's cat situation.
edit on 18-9-2017 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
I am confused? When looking at the Op's photo and other contributions in this thread, it seems like they prove that noone's memory is necessarily faulty and that ME is nonsense.

Obviously, both names have been used and even on the same toy/book/vhs tape. It makes sense that two people would logically remember it differently. No ME necessary to explain it away, it simply is what it is.

I do remember it as Stein...I have to assume that I happened to have seen a misprint or spelling error in my childhood. Ergo...everyone is right, just simply have a different biased perspective.

Damn, that sure is a whole lot of misprints! Millions! And where are the misprints now? Any book you find is spelled Berenstain. But, my memory says Berenstein. Weird.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

The 'which is more likely' arument works.. until it doesnt.

Which is more likely? That the government used the ufo craze to its advantage and made crafts to look like UFOs to cover up their true black budget projects? or that inter-dimensional beings traveled across the cosmos to look at us.

I mean, that doesnt stop me from believing that some UFOs are in fact alien.

Same with this situation. While logically, it would seem that millions are just mis remembering, but that argument alone does not make it so. Its an explanation based on intuition. Were all adding conjecture here because there's no 'proof' either way. This is one of those arguments that could go back and forth until the end of time or real evidence is presented. How on earth do you prove a negative, some anti Me folks might say. While I dont feel like the burden is on ME deniers, I do feel like ' youre not remembering right' is exactly the argument 'they' want you to make.

IF the ME is real. I think its one big 21st century Schrodinger's cat situation.

I'm sure that isn't the argument that is wanted, but it's what I think.

As with UFO's, we had to get the ideas from somewhere. When I do a fiber optic network job and think about the fact that someone on Earth just decided to come up with the idea that we could shoot light through a tiny tube of glass and instantly change a real time video (HD EVEN) link into "1's and 0's" and then back to the same video, it kind of makes me think we aren't really that smart. We might have had a little help with that.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

When you were a kid, did you spend a lot of time thinking about how it was spelled, or did you just accept that by sight, you know those were the bear books?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

That was actually addressed to Sputniksteve.

The whole ME thing fascinates me from a religious perspective.
I'm just trying to figure out if people are unwilling to see the truth or incapable.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

When you were a kid, did you spend a lot of time thinking about how it was spelled, or did you just accept that by sight, you know those were the bear books?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

Like I said, as BerenSTAIN, it doesn't even look normal. I'm sure it's the same for the many who feel the same as I. That's not a false memory, that's seeing something in an entirely different way. And it was the same feeling for three other people in the room the other day when we examined the book. You remember how you wish and I'll remember it how I wish, and it's that simple. You can argue your point till your blue in the face, but the fact remains, many of us will continue to believe what we will. I don't know how to explain it and I know the ME is far-fetched and preposterous, but something isn't right with this whole thing.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I still think Berenstain is still too easy to get wrong to make it a gimme for ME. Stein is a common name people are used to hearing. Makes more sense that a name (even for a cartoon bear family), would be stein.. not stain. Stain just sounds weird anyway. I could easily see vendors screwing up the spelling. : )

Still though, ME might be a thing. I think Coldwell Bankers is a much better one as far as a single word thing. Coldwell makes more sense.. why people would mistake it with Caldwell, which is awkward to say, is more convincing to me. I remember it as Caldwell. Heck.. even the spell checker on this site thinks Caldwell is correct, and Coldwell is wrong!

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

You remember how you wish and I'll remember it how I wish, and it's that simple. You can argue your point till your blue in the face, but the fact remains, many of us will continue to believe what we will.

NO worries, you believe whatever you wish and I will wish you well. But I believe this attitude displayed here is EXACTLY why the ME exists in the first place. (nothing against you personally, just stating my opinion)
edit on 18-9-2017 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
Like I said, as BerenSTAIN, it doesn't even look normal. I'm sure it's the same for the many who feel the same as I. That's not a false memory, that's seeing something in an entirely different way.

That is you feeling it looks strange because you are comparing it to the false memory.

You can argue your point till your blue in the face, but the fact remains, many of us will continue to believe what we will.

So what is the point of discussing?

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You remember how you wish and I'll remember it how I wish, and it's that simple. You can argue your point till your blue in the face, but the fact remains, many of us will continue to believe what we will.

NO worries, you believe whatever you wish and I will wish you well. But I believe this attitude displayed here is EXACTLY why the ME exists in the first place. (nothing against you personally, just stating my opinion)

And I believe that it's the other way around. You, and others like yourself, use attitude to push this false memory narrative as if you speak with absolute certainty but you don't know. I don't know. I've already admitted that the ME is ridiculous but not anymore ridiculous than telling millions of people they are all having the same false memory.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Sorry to offend. Please, believe whatever you wish.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

No offense, just sayin

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
People said Berenstien because it was easier to say.

It's STILL easier to say. It's from telephone, kids particularly pronounce things however they wish.

Simple enough explanation? You HEARD Berenstien your whole life. It's still always been Berenstain.

I personally have memories as a child talking to another child about this name, when they said Stain and I said Stien. The main difference? His mom read him the book and mine was in the social daycare setting. Mandala effect isn't real, and if it is, it happened a long time ago because I noticed this AS a child, not after.

I've actually heard it pronounced 3 ways commonly, not 2. 'Stain' 'Stine' 'Steen'.
edit on 18-9-2017 by DisinfoEqualsTerrorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I've already admitted that the ME is ridiculous but not anymore ridiculous than telling millions of people they are all having the same false memory.

Actually, it is more ridiculous.

Before ME people would have a good laugh about things like misheard lyrics. What's the difference?

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

... I've already admitted that the ME is ridiculous but not anymore ridiculous than telling millions of people they are all having the same false memory.

It isn't ridiculous if those millions of people are all subject to the same cultural/social/media/etc influences, such as those millions of people being influenced by the fact that "--stein" is a common ending for names while "--stain" is very uncommon.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

On any given topic, there are usually two "sides." It is, of course, more nuanced than this, but any perspective that deviates is going to be forced into one of the sides.

Both sides basically view the other in a very specific, archetypal fashion. This isn't exclusive to this topic either. Detractors will have defined the topic in a certain way usually in order to dismiss it as easily as possible. Believers will have defined it in the same way, but so that dismissing it seems disingenuous.

Sounds kind of basic, and it is, but most are arguing against the archetype they have in their mind rather than hearing what another person is actually saying. When something is introduced that clearly conflicts with this, it leads to confusion. At least until the individual figures out a way to fit it into their framework without having to change their position on the matter.

The more obscure topics usually lead to more confusion as there aren't two clearly defined, opposing perspectives.

A good example is in politics, where each side takes whatever is said by the perceived opposition and interpret it so that it fits the archetype. Accuracy isn't relevant, only maintaining the archetypes.

Anyway, I went into that jabbering since I thought you might find the perspective interesting. When it comes to Berenstein, I always thought it was just that: BerenstEIn.

I don't have any issue at all accepting I was simply mistaken on the spelling. What does bother me is the pseudo nails-on-a-chalkboard experience I get when I see "BerenstAIn." That part interests me. Seeing the "correct" spelling makes me cringe for reasons I can't readily identify.

The experience is pretty singular and unique. I don't feel that way when I see something else I think is incorrect, like using they're/there/their incorrectly or spelling "moot" as "mute," etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join