It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a Gambler and is Gambling a sin?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
On one of my bookshelves at home I have noticed that a strange order of books that got me asking the question as to whether God is a gambler or not and if Gambling is a sin.
Let me explain one one shelf I have the forllowing order of books
Cisco - Network Fundamentals
Lost Languaguages - by Andrew robertson
Cuneiform - reading the past - CBF Walker
The origins of words and phrases - readers digest
Funk and Wagnalls Dictionary
Ontop of these books I have stacked the following Books on top of one another - in order
Sports Arbitrage by Rajeev Shah
A history of God - Karen Armstrong
The case for God - Karen Armstrong
Grow -- Jim Stengal
And on top of all that a book on terminology for Artifical Intelligence..
"God" must have been a gambler! Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

He gambled with the devil in Job in the old testament.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

No to the thread title, God already knows the outcome and there are passages in the bible which show he is both outside of our normal interpretation of time itself and is working not only from the beginning of creation to the end but also from the end of creation in the final plan he has for it back to the beginning, sound's a bit strange but God would have to blind himself to gamble because he knows what will be in absolute and perfect detail.

So he could not gamble because to do so would be to ignore what he already know's, gambling is based on chance and God is not Chance he is absolute destiny.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

The thing is, I highly doubt this is it, much lends to the possibility that there are multiple realities occurring at once, that's more like a safe bet kinda tactic.

What if all these realities are being simulated, in order to find God...

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Whatever god is, it is a psychopath. Or it was written down by rulers whom are psychopaths. Funny thing is humans worship both rulers and their gods.

Therefore humans love worshipping psychopaths.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

The bible was written by men.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Is God a Gambler and is Gambling a sin?

Sounds like you want 'God' to gamble so you can too.

But you already know thats a bad habbit.

Gamblers are taken for their money by the gaming establishment. If theres any sin attached to that its on their part, the gambler is victimized by 'gambling' as a promise to 'win' riches.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

What do you think?

I don't think 'god' is a person/ an anthropomorphized being therefore the question is a waste of time.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

The old testament is not a depiction of reality. It is a human created myth to explain reality.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

What do you think?

I don't think 'god' is a person/ an anthropomorphized being therefore the question is a waste of time.

May I ask how do you think or see God?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Before people can answer that question they need to know exactly what God is, however the definition of God is subjective to interpretation by countless religions.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
An omniscient being is incapable of gambling.

Gambling implies chance outcomes and chance and risk cannot exist if there is omniscience. There would only be certitude

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Being omnipotent is very boring. Maybe God is experiencing the thrill of having limitations through us as we play our chances.

Gambling is like alcohol or drugs. As long as you use them responsibly it is not a sin in my opinion. If you are not responsible and people who depend on you get hurt then its a sin.

Whenever I gamble, I always have a bankroll. Once I lose my bankroll my day is done. I never chase my loses. I love gambling. But I do it responsibly.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

According to Einstein, "God does not play dice with the Universe." Which would mean, No, God isn't a Gambler. If you go with Einstein anyway.

Theologically speaking I'm not sure if an All Knowing Being even is capable of Gambling. I mean how much of a gamble could anything be when you always know the outcome before hand???

Is Gambling a sin??? I don't know since I'm not sure what a sin is actually supposed to mean. I think it's defined as an offense against God. Which is pretty useless as a definition unless you know exactly what offends God first.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
God may enjoy gambling now and then. I mean he has access to future events but he could put his hands over his eyes once and a while and not see results and enjoy the game of chance.

Gambling in religious law is a minor sin in most religions so God might have some fun once in a while and just watch the Ali Frazier fight or even tonight’s Canelo, triple GGG match and wage a couple of bucks.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have no clue if gambling is a sin or not, I like to think of it as more of a challenge presented to us.

I am really fortunate in this reality as I have no luck whatsoever. None. Nada .... I have never tasted the thrill of the win off of a gamble. Video lottery ... poof, gone in seconds. Card games, nope. Even things I am fairly competent with I will immediately lose if I bet on them. Things that are not left to complete chance like pool, if I play for money, I lose every time.

People call me cursed but I think that in not having any luck at all, I am lucky.

Slow. Methodical. Planning. Running through all of the possibilities in any situation. Leave nothing to chance.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Answering this question on another level…

Gambling is only when there is something involved called chance.

God, as God, can’t technically gamble since he would penetrate chance with his sight. So he would be gambling only if he blindfolded himself.

Philosophically or metaphysically the question here is really does God limit himself.

That answer is YES he or she does

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Was it God or Jesus who did not like games of chance?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Einstein did not believe in the science of quantum mechanics. He's hardly qualified to speak about God.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'd say he's as qualified as anyone else.

But that's fine. Don't consider him or what he has to say about God if you don't want.

Still doesn't change the fact that an All Knowing Being wouldn't be capable of Gambling since they already know the outcome before hand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join