It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick question regarding kc-10 over nyc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Have been watching adsb the last few days on my days off.
I know refueling flies around the tri-state are from McGuire afb but have not seen this since the last time the president visited NYC
Is anything going onto today in the NYC are?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nepatitan

He's either meeting up with a local mission, or something heading into, or out of, the country across the Atlantic. Probably a C-17 or C-5.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

awesome thanks so much for the info. Makes sense as there is always stuff coming across the pond.
I could literally spend days and days watching adsb

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Yeah, it's fun to see some of the unusual stuff that pops up.
edit on 9/16/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

We are right in the flight pattern from the north down to the burn center in lehigh valley pa. Helicopters fly over us very low probably 500 ft of so. I can never see them but I know that helos dont usually have to do flight plans.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

As long as you stay VFR, and out of controlled airspace, you don't have to file a flight plan from what I remember. It makes a lot more sense to file one though so someone knows when to expect you and your route though.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Yup when I was an FE I did more than a few missions doing figure eights off the coast of Virginia, hated those flights if you drew the short straw and hit a head wind going back to OKC a three hour flight became a 6 made for a miserable day.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I'd love to get video of them flying over, its right over the trees and really fast! Just never know when they are coming other than listening to the scanner.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Were you just refueling for missions or something else?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I was on AWACS we were just connecting with Fighters off the coast for training then head back.

When I was a crew chief on KC-135 we sent planes all over the country sometimes we carried fighters, other times we just gassed them for training us and them, and other times just a quick hit so they could continue training runs.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Hey, speaking of KC-10s did you see the accident report for 080 after they dropped the boom out by Mountain Home? Heh.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Missed that one, depot screw the pooch or HPO screw up?

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Maintenance and boom operator. Maintenance failed to follow the T.O. when troubleshooting a boom issue. Boomer lowered the boom and activated the boom flight controls at 1632Z. As soon as he did the boom started U shaped oscillations from one side to the other. At 1634Z, the boom separated from the fork. At 1705Z it finally separated. I didn't read the entire report, but from the executive summary, at no point did the boom operator simply turn off the boom flight controls.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

That is one of the reasons I am glad my time is almost up, and my wife will be out in 1 year.

I have not liked what I am seeing either in Aircrew or in maintenance I expect stupidity like that to continue, unless there is a culture change it will only worsen.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Oh it's going to get so much worse. Five times the AF has performed a study that showed the best course forward with regards to JSTARS is to replace the current airframes and radar. Now they have a study that shows some of the airframes can get into the early 2030s, and they're doing a sixth study and might cancel the current program and "examine all the options" going forward "in a different direction".

new topics

top topics

join