It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Famine Poverty & Elegance in the Congo

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: CynConcepts
Ok no problem, but your not homeless anymore are you? You actually pulled yourself up from poverty it sounds like. Good for you. Did you continue wasting every penny you had in the pursuit of what are normally multi thousand dollar designer clothing?

Thrift stores still have awesome sales on such clothing but I actually have my own sewing machine and make my own imitations of the trendy styles I like. Custom fit! Doing well now, but style still opens more doors in a society that only perceives outer appearances. It makes me happy. That last sentence is what is important. Some folks are happy with hobbies or collecting. Really no difference.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts
I do frequent thrift stores myself. The most expensive thing I found was a pair of like $80 Rockawear and Sean Jean jeans for like six dollars. I actually like to buy nice pants there and have my neighbor turn them into shorts. I trade her copper in return as she is scrapper as well as a seamstress. I have not really seen real Gucci, D&G, Burberry, Loui Vouton , Armani, etc.. etc..

But then again I live in the South. I imagine you can find those brands in a thrift store in NYC or urban Cali, but hardly ever down here.
edit on 9-18-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Designer brands won't be found in the big city cheaply. You want to go to stores that are located where the higher end spends their seasonal vacations. In the fall here, the rentals send all of the items left behind to local thrift store for resale.
Awesome designer deals!

Now, to get back on topic of thread....OP forgive my off topic posts. My grandchild has arrived, so I am off to have a fun afternoon!

edit on 9 18 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The point you appear to be missing, and the very point that the Sapeurs are making, is that DESPITE being poor and living in squallor you CAN look good follow good hygiene not do drugs & drink and most of all be happy. The Sapeurs refuse to be defined by their poverty. The inspire others. Could the same be said about an American homeless person? Would they be inspiring? Do they live in the same conditions as the Congolese? Do they not have far far more choices and opportunities than the Congolese? Lets be honest here, many homeless in western nations are that way due to drink & drugs and damn bad choices NOT war & famine

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

DESPITE being poor and living in squallor you CAN look good follow good hygiene not do drugs & drink and most of all be happy.

Oh yea I was missing that point actually. Thats a good point. My bad. I got caught up in the history of it all it seems. Its always a good thing when people commit to staying dry and cast away vice. I agree.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thanks much appreciated

I cannot help but agree that yes in our opinions, the Sapeurs seem frivolous and trivial, but for me besides the amazing talents many have, its the message they are trying to portray and the inspiration to younger Congolese that shows there are other ways to avoid the "poverty mindset" than drink & drugs or crime

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join