It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI investigates school threats in Flathead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

The following is a press release is from Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry:

The Flathead County Sheriff’s Office, Columbia Falls Police Department and the FBI began a joint investigation yesterday evening following a series of electronic threats that area schools began receiving. The threats started with the Columbia Falls school district and eventually spread throughout the evening and early morning hours to other area schools. All the threats were text or email.

As a precautionary measure, several area schools cancelled classes today. Investigators from all the involved agencies have worked throughout the night, and are continuing to follow up on leads and have identified and are speaking with persons of interest.

FBI investigates school threats in Flathead

This is a developing situation occurring in northwest Montana. It began more than 24 hours ago, but very little official information has been released by the authorities. I do know that only one school in the region was open for classes on Thursday the 24th. All other K-12 schools and the county community college were closed for the entire day. There has been no real information as to the nature of the threat, although I have heard rumors abound.

To my knowledge there has never been this level of threat in the area. Certainly not in living memory.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
As an update, schools have been closed for a second day tomorrow.

Update

The Flathead Schools Superintendent Jack Eggensperger announced Thursday evening that schools in northwest Montana will be canceled for the second straight day.

The people's reliance and belief in social media is having it's usual negative effect on the situation...

Curry also responded to reports surfacing on social media regarding the ongoing investigation: "This afternoon the Kalispell Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office began receiving calls from concerned citizens about 'shootings' and major criminal events and operations that they believed were in progress in our area. All advised they had heard of the events on Social Media sites. None of these events occurred, or were accurate. No information has been uncovered that would lead us to believe that there is any specific threat to public safety at this time. We would encourage people to receive news from their local law enforcement agencies through legitimate news outlets and not social media. "

edit on 9/14/2017 by Montana because: additional info

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Sorry to hear. Wonder maybe is it a copycat situation after the Spokane(Rockford/Freeman) area HS shooting yesterday. These seem to come in a pattern sadly enough. RIP to the hero(who saved others) victim, who as trying to stop his friend from killing-wasn't the victim's familie's first tragedy either. ETA: Janitor is also called a hero for his work in stopping the shooter. Wanted to add that if anyone was seeking updates on these situations.
edit on 14-9-2017 by dreamingawake because: ETA

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I know they are investigating the possibility of it being a copycat, I haven't heard any rumors that would support that at this time, and the authorities aren't talking.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
a reply to: dreamingawake

I know they are investigating the possibility of it being a copycat, I haven't heard any rumors that would support that at this time, and the authorities aren't talking.

If there's no evidence and so forth of a threat, wonder if it has to do with an emergency drill and planning? The Rockford Freeman HS had a drill the day before the active shooting. I'd assume then that they haven't prepared for and are doing this last minute without detail due to fear or other.

I hope something is revealed soon enough, the NW has been rocked enough by this, especially the locals in the Spokane area.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Another update. All extra-curricular sports events have been cancelled as well. I know at least one of the high schools was having homecoming.

All athletic events in the Flathead Valley were canceled or postponed Thursday due to unspecified threats made toward area schools. Decisions on Friday’s events, which include home football games for Flathead, Whitefish, Columbia Falls and Bigfork, will be made by 10 a.m. tomorrow. The Flathead County Sheriff’s Office has identified and is conducting interviews with persons of interest regarding a series of threats made via text message and email that led to the closure of schools throughout the valley on Thursday.

Seems they have some suspects, maybe they will be able to bring it to a close soon.

Update

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

As an update, schools have been closed for a second day tomorrow.

Update

The Flathead Schools Superintendent Jack Eggensperger announced Thursday evening that schools in northwest Montana will be canceled for the second straight day.

The people's reliance and belief in social media is having it's usual negative effect on the situation...

Curry also responded to reports surfacing on social media regarding the ongoing investigation: "This afternoon the Kalispell Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office began receiving calls from concerned citizens about 'shootings' and major criminal events and operations that they believed were in progress in our area. All advised they had heard of the events on Social Media sites. None of these events occurred, or were accurate. No information has been uncovered that would lead us to believe that there is any specific threat to public safety at this time. We would encourage people to receive news from their local law enforcement agencies through legitimate news outlets and not social media. "

Well that's contradictory. He is saying none of the events were accurate, yet at the same time cancelled school for the next day too. So which is it, a bunch of baloney or a real threat?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

The threat is very real, and is being investigated. What is NOT real are all the stories being passed around on twitter and facebook. There have been false reports of violent attacks, huge bombs, a group of 'males' walking in a mall threatening people with knives, etc etc etc.

Frequently when people read those untrue social media posts they immediately call 911, which ties up forces investigating and refuting the false stories.

The poor kids in the mall were just wearing knives. They weren't doing anything wrong and they had a very frightening encounter with some pretty hyper LEOs.

I'm heading to bed folks, I will see what is being put out in the morning. 'Night
edit on 9/15/2017 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

The threat is very real, and is being investigated. What is NOT real are all the stories being passed around on twitter and facebook. There have been false reports of violent attacks, huge bombs, a group of 'males' walking in a mall threatening people with knives, etc etc etc.

Frequently when people read those untrue social media posts they immediately call 911, which ties up forces investigating and refuting the false stories.

The poor kids in the mall were just wearing knives. They weren't doing anything wrong and they had a very frightening encounter with some pretty hyper LEOs.

I'm heading to bed folks, I will see what is being put out in the morning. 'Night

That confused me too with the article. Pretty sad, while the net has it's positives, this shares the sad aspect of it's negatives.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
My daughter's middle school was the focus of a series of bomb threats two years ago.

She missed quite a bit of school over them. One day, after a bomb threat was made, the school evacuated to another building, and the students ended up being sent home early without their coats since they were not allowed to go to their lockers to retrieve things. She did not have her phone or house keys on a cold and rainy day.

I was not informed of the incident until I was on my way home from work. She spent a great deal of time outside before a neighbor brought her in to call me on their landline.

It ended up being a disgruntled student that was making the threats and he was sent to a juvenile detention home. He had no bombs or explosive devices.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

How is it going today?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
As of noon, the Sheriff has released the following statement:

“We have worked throughout the night and we are continuing to make progress. We feel like we are getting closer to our subject but we haven’t made an arrest yet,” Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry told the Inter Lake. Curry hasn’t released any new information regarding the nature or quantity of the threats — except that the perpetrator or perpetrators are sophisticated enough in their tactics to warrant a credible threat to the safety of students in the Flathead Valley.

Schools remain closed, and everyone is still a little jumpy.Many businesses are reporting employee absences because parents are not able to find child care on such short notice. Hopefully every thing will be resolved over the weekend and life will get back to normal on Monday.

The FBI is still trying to nail down the originating IP of the threats. It seems there was some precautions taken by the losers who started the whole thing. That being the case, it seems unlikely this was a grade schooler trying to get the week off. Maybe a high-schooler though. Or maybe a sicko trying to kill people. Hard to tell.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well, at least they THINK they have a suspect and are communicating with that person.

Local law enforcement and the FBI have been communicating with a suspect believed to be responsible for cyber threats against Flathead County schools. Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry confirmed that a negotiation team has been engaged in ongoing communication with a suspect. The communication has been via written electronic messages. Law enforcement says the suspect has breached electronically stored directory information in the Columbia Falls School District and is sending threatening electronic messages via text or email to some students’ and staffs’ families.

Whoever it is has pretty good security...

Curry said the suspect has taken “extraordinary measures to conceal his electronic identity and location. We have and are continuing to fully investigate every local lead or person of interest and rule them out.” “We continue to work around the clock, with both national and international assistance to determine both the identity and the location, in the U.S. or internationally, of the suspect in this case,” Curry said. “We have made and continue to make progress in those efforts.”

Flathead Beacon

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This has drastically changed since the original post. The person or people responsible also gained access to personal information of the students and have started texting the students and parents directly. I also heard today that a ransom was issued. For what I'm not sure...

top topics

join