It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudis lose a Typhoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
theaviationist.com...

Looks like the Saudi Air Force has lost a Typhoon in combat operations in Yemen. The loss has only been confirmed via social media.

Is this the first combat loss of a Typhoon? Social media seems to indicate it was on a CAS mission. If true is should.... should mind you cast shade on delicate airframes (IE NOT the A-10) performing CAS

twitter.com...

edit on 9/14/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Interesting, I wonder if it was a MANPAD or if it was something else?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

you got to love the spin that tries to downplay an enemy victory.
"BREAKING: #RSAF EF Typhoon crashed due to technical failure while performing CAS mission against #AQAP in #Yemen, pilot killed."

Yea, the technical failure was its inability to stay intact when being blown out the sky by the Yemeni armed forces. Saudi loves to censor its losses an either claim they did not happen, or downplay them as technical matters.

Saudi Kingdom is very good at internet censorship so we rarely ever get to see the actual damage from that side.

I really have a hard time believing AQAP has any capabilities to down said jet. I suppose the pilot could have screwed up on the mission. With how often they are routinely handed their ass on the ground and waters around Yemen though, it is not a stretch to believe Yemen's military finally got a good one in on the arse holes bombing funerals and families out of frustration from their losses.
edit on 9-14-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm very sad to hear of the loss of the Saudi pilot. Much has been said about Saudi involvement in 9/11, etc... I can only comment on what I experienced while deployed there in 1991. The Saudi pilots that I met (Eagle drivers) were very professional and courteous... even more so than our own pilots, at the time.

The Typhoon is an awesome airframe. If it was a mechanical failure, I hope they get it resolved quickly.

My prayers go out to his family.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150
what your kidding me right? This guy and his comrades are directly responsible for the worst cholera epidemic in decades! They target grieving families at funerals with multiple strikes, have bombed out the power and running water of the civilian population. Malnutrition and famine are at biblical levels across the country. There is no just cause!

They are not accidentally hitting residential structures, they are intentionally targeting them. Whatever man. Where were the Saudi Air force's condolences when they did this??

Ahh well maybe it was a UAE or Bahrain pilot???

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

That's the first combat loss I've ever heard of.

Crazy.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
what your kidding me right? This guy and his comrades are directly responsible for the worst cholera epidemic in decades! They target grieving families at funerals with multiple strikes, have bombed out the power and running water of the civilian population. Malnutrition and famine are at biblical levels across the country. There is no just cause!

They are not accidentally hitting residential structures, they are intentionally targeting them. Whatever man. Where were the Saudi Air force's condolences when they did this??

Heartbreaking.

I can't believe we live in a world like this.
WTF is wrong with humanity???

This is psychopathy.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

And I think I have problems in my stupid lil life?
Man I don't even know nothin'.

I can't even understand any of this.
I'm so isolated and disconnected from it.

I'll just pray to God for everyone on all sides.
I seen it work before at least 3 times.
It might be real.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash
well, I guess its not all bad news. Someone has to build another jet to replace that one right?? An extra jet should bump the share price a few pennies, maybe even a nickel!

An innocent family gets rewarded for manufacturing goods, and another one is delivered those goods and rewarded with a trip to God. See, it all balances out ...

On another note though, reading through that first article again, I wonder if Iran is providing the ruling party and its forces with EW devices that are developed from what they learned when they brought down our stealth UAV from Afghanistan years ago???

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

what your kidding me right? This guy and his comrades are directly responsible for the worst cholera epidemic in decades!

Well, that may be true when viewed through a pin hole. The bigger picture is always more complex and involves a complex set of variables that include atrocities by both sides. The Houthi rebels backed by Iran have caused a civil war. The coalition led by Saudi Arabia support the legitimate government. It's just that age old story of different denominations of Islam killing each other.

On topic. The Typhoon is a smart plane. It would be interesting to see what brought it down i.e. a technical failure, or hostile fire.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Loss of a human life, is a loss. I am retired USAF.

I stand by my first reply. The Saudi pilots that I met back in 1991 were all class acts... professional aviators. I have zero interest in Saudi politics. I was saddened to hear that a life was lost.

Those of us in the military... any nation's military... we don't make policy. We don't do politics. We do our jobs.

That young man died doing his job. Respect that...

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Barring him being task saturated and not being warned I'd say probably something else. A MANPADS against front line fighters isn't a very effective weapon anymore. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but CAS is a dangerous mission and I can't tell you how many pilots have simply flown into the ground without any help whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Barnalby

Barring him being task saturated and not being warned I'd say probably something else. A MANPADS against front line fighters isn't a very effective weapon anymore. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but CAS is a dangerous mission and I can't tell you how many pilots have simply flown into the ground without any help whatsoever.

I worked the F-4G "Wild Weasels"... Weasel pilots were known to try to fly their missiles to the target, and end up planting themselves into the landscape. It is a reality of the mission...

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Yep. To this day, as advanced as fighters have gotten, it still happens. It became common enough that they developed A-GCAS and are installing it on F-16s now about as fast as they can.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yep. To this day, as advanced as fighters have gotten, it still happens. It became common enough that they developed A-GCAS and are installing it on F-16s now about as fast as they can.

The same reason that they developed the LASTE system for the A-10s.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

They need to install A-GCAS on anything that gets down in the weeds. It almost immediately saved a student pilot over Arizona,and has been credited with saving at least five pilots in the first few months it was installed.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Seriously,the Germans had automatic altitude pullout in the Ju87 Stukas pre WW2..Thats getting near 80 years old idea.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Slightly harder to implement with a Mach 2 fighter though.

new topics

top topics

join