It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Goonies' star Martha Plimpton says she had her 'best abortion' in Seattle

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

If you don't want a kid and as you said it's the 21 century use protection, there is ZERO reason other then rape to have a unplanned child.

I would love a child of my own, and a ex out of spite took that opportunity away from me. She used it as a weapon and in the end hurt 3 people, she told me she was on birth control then we decided to have a kid.

Where is my right to save my child from a vengeful hateful person.... oh right I'm a man and get no say in the life of my child.

2 people decide to make a child it should take 2 people to destroy that chance those 'cells' have.

Aren't we all just a mass of cells in the end, some have more then others?

I'm pro-choice, but with a heart.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
"Proud" of killing her child. Let that sink in.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingMe

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: ThinkingMe

I really don't want religion being turned into law and furthermore, I don't want religion turned into health care.
This kind of stuff is a personal thing, which means the state leaves it up to you.
So your religious principles needn't be compromised.

You wouldn't want the government to make you wear a hijab, ban dancing in public or declare blood transfusions illegal would you?

Hello SprocketUK, I am not entirely sure which of my above posts you are referring to. Since you mentioned religion, I assume you are referencing the video. Since those are not my words, I do not think I am suited to reply.

Regards

Well, you posted the video, so you either agree with it or disagree with it.
All that "soul back to the ether stuff she talked about in the vid takes it out of the realms of science and into the realm of religion.

Hello btw

I said earlier, what my feelings on abortion are, I do find it troubling, on a personal level.
What I find more troubling though, is the thought of all those women being unable to access safe, and legal abortion when they need it.
I really dislike the sort of mindset that paints these women as somehow defective for having sex. It's ridiculous and wrong headed to try and paint them as the villains.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Hello SprocketUK, do excuse me for not quoting your post, it would be very messy if so.

The truth is I am not going to argue your point or any other points. I am simply coming in here, dropping in my opinions and leaving it there. (For those interested, my first post is on page 6, a few posts above the video I posted) If it resonates with someone, great. If not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

SprocketUK, I think you can understand that I wish to avoid the mess of arguments of the last few pages. I have seen many threads of this nature and none of the arguments made have made me change my mind. Can I assume the same for you? If so, let us let it go.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: noonebutme

If you don't want a kid and as you said it's the 21 century use protection, there is ZERO reason other then rape to have a unplanned child.

I would love a child of my own, and a ex out of spite took that opportunity away from me. She used it as a weapon and in the end hurt 3 people, she told me she was on birth control then we decided to have a kid.

Where is my right to save my child from a vengeful hateful person.... oh right I'm a man and get no say in the life of my child.

2 people decide to make a child it should take 2 people to destroy that chance those 'cells' have.

Aren't we all just a mass of cells in the end, some have more then others?

I'm pro-choice, but with a heart.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I wish you joy and happiness

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Thats a fair enough reply.
With regard to debating points like this, I wonder if they aren't more about empathy, increasing someone's understanding of your point of view rather thsn trying to bully them to your "side"?

Eta your side in the generic sense, not yours personally.
edit on 22pSun, 17 Sep 2017 07:10:22 -050020172017-09-17T07:10:22-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Thats a fair enough reply.
With regard to debating points like this, I wonder if they aren't more about empathy, increasing someone's understanding of your point of view rather thsn trying to bully them to your "side"?

Eta your side in the generic sense, not yours personally.

While ideally debating points like this is about increasing empathy for myself and others, understanding their views and having them understand mine, my experiences haven't been like that.

Perhaps you would like to read one of my previous posts on page 6, two posts above the the video I posted which details the bullying I received talking about this topic.

The replies on the previous few pages have not been extremely comforting either.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am not religious and this is not about religion.

We treat putting down a pet with more respect than a human.

Abortion is terminating an embryo or a fetus, it is not putting down a human or person as militant anti-abortionists try to claim. Big difference.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Well as long as we are telling our stories, I'd like to tell one about my step-daughter. She was 19, and in college when she got pregnant by a young man that she was not in a committed relationship with. She was on birth control, but somehow got pregnant anyway (forgot to take her pill that day? Who knows).

When she told the young man, his response was volatile. He wanted nothing to do with her or the baby - ever. For a day or so after this confrontation, she felt pretty desperate, alone, scared and overwhelmed.

She seriously considered abortion, enough to look up where she could go to have the procedure. She decided to tell her parents first. Both her mom and dad (my husband) responded with love and support. They told her they had her back, and would help her - financially, emotionally, physically.

She decided at that point to have the child. She dropped out of college and moved back in with her mom. Since then, she met a wonderful young man whom she married. He legally adopted the child, and they have since had another child together. He makes an excellent living which has allowed her to stay home and raise her babies. They are a happy, stable family.

Yes, this story has a happy ending, but she and I had a conversation about her situation not too long ago, where she told me that she totally sympathized with young women who were in her shoes, but didnt have that support system she had. She could totally understand feeling desperate, alone and overwhelmed enough to abort the pregnancy.

There are many different stories of abortion. They aren't all about vengeance or selfishness or gloating. In fact, most of them aren't.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

When she told the young man, his response was volatile. He wanted nothing to do with her or the baby - ever. For a day or so after this confrontation, she felt pretty desperate, alone, scared and overwhelmed.

it's funny how this part of the equation is never brought up when abortion is discussed. not every women has a family to fall back on for support when the daddy decides he just doesn't want to face the consequences of his actions. and, no that small portion of the father's weekly earnings is just a small portion of responsibility they have to the child and their child's mother.
everyone chooses to focus on the failure of the women's integrity here, when probably at least half the time, it's a failure of the father's integrity that set the course towards abortion.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yep. And just for the record, my step-daughter never did seek child support from the guy. Based on his extremely negative response, she just didn't want any future dealings with him. Legally, he's no longer the father anymore anyway.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I did read it, yeah, and it struck me as every it as wrong as people trying to demonise women who go the other way.

I really do think its between the individual person and their conscience...With the proviso that they give proper, informed consent in the medical sense.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

it's funny how this part of the equation is never brought up when abortion is discussed. not every women has a family to fall back on for support when the daddy decides he just doesn't want to face the consequences of his actions. and, no that small portion of the father's weekly earnings is just a small portion of responsibility they have to the child and their child's mother.
everyone chooses to focus on the failure of the women's integrity here, when probably at least half the time, it's a failure of the father's integrity that set the course towards abortion.

I think that if you go through the past few pages, you'll find it. An example includes "it's funny how the dad is never discussed". Basically, yes it is brought up but I haven't seen anyone engaging in it.

There is now a story that nobody engages in. You have obviously read someone's experience of a man not having control over the child. The way I see it, it's just skimmed over anyway. So are we doing to discuss that properly or are we just going to use different stories where the man is completely at fault to cover it up?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I did read it, yeah, and it struck me as every it as wrong as people trying to demonise women who go the other way.

I really do think its between the individual person and their conscience...With the proviso that they give proper, informed consent in the medical sense.

Thank you for saying that that's wrong, it means a lot to me.

I agree with you about the conscience. In the end it comes down to that. There will always be ways around whatever human methods to stop them.

Of course I am still pro-life because conscience. While people are coming out talking about abortions like they are taking about a restaurant, that's not going to change.
edit on 17-9-2017 by ThinkingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I think the point is to respond to people categorizing all women who have abortions as cold, hard-hearted a-holes who laugh all the way to the clinic.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Everyone has a story, I'm glad you got to experience having grand children.

I'm 33 years old and I feel like I am getting border line to old, seeing as I have to start a whole new relationship. I would have gladly raised a kid by my self, I have a loving and supportive family and no money issues.

There are many forms of birth control, if I was a lady I would need to get a IUD or the shot. I would forget to take the pill all the time. I can barely remember where I left my keys in the a.m

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I think the point is to respond to people categorizing all women who have abortions as cold, hard-hearted a-holes who laugh all the way to the clinic.

Is that point of view going to change when the actress talks about it like a restaurant review?
edit on 17-9-2017 by ThinkingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I had my daughter at 41 (got married at age 39), so you still have some time. Age restrictions apply more to the women anyway.

My stepdaughter says she checked her pill packet and didn't see any left over pills not taken, so....?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join