It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Goonies' star Martha Plimpton says she had her 'best abortion' in Seattle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I don't think people are having less sex.

What about married people?

Check your PM's BTW.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

yes sanctity. If you dont believe in the sanctity of life and you dont have kids please dont have any. The sanctity of life is an obvious reality when you look down at the child you and your partner created and brought into this world to continue the family line. The sanctity is built in...it doesnt need to be defended or explained....if you dont get it as far as im concerned you went down the wrong split in the evolutionary path.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Congratulations, I see many of you have successfully mastered the art of 'virtue signaling.'

Well done.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

dont you think everyone virtue signals? I'm thankful for the term because it puts a nice package and bow on a behavior that we have all experienced in our lives but never had such a neat and tidy word to use to describe it.

so yes, everyone virtue signals, only some do it specifically for show and others do it because its a consequence of their deeply held beliefs therefore not an act of a total poseur.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
a reply to: Gryphon66

dont you think everyone virtue signals? I'm thankful for the term because it puts a nice package and bow on a behavior that we have all experienced in our lives but never had such a neat and tidy word to use to describe it.

so yes, everyone virtue signals, only some do it specifically for show and others do it because its a consequence of their deeply held beliefs therefore not an act of a total poseur.

So, when the term is applied to someone you don't agree with it's negative and the act of a "poseur" but when it's someone you agree with, it's positive and the act of a deeply held belief?

Sure, sounds very human and hypocritical to me, like a good deal of political speech.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
yes sanctity. If you dont believe in the sanctity of life

I never said I don't believe in it. I asked the OP to define what he meant as he was referring to the act of abortion being a disregard for the sanctity of life. So I asked what does that mean? If I step on an ant, am I disregarding the sanctity of life? It's a fully functional, living animal. Whereas an abortion is removing a cluster of NON-conscious cells. Where is the disregarding for the sanctity of life? WHat about the act of sex for pleasure and a man's seed is wasted? What about when a woman has a menstrual cycle ? In both cases, the 2 fundamental cells needed to create a human life are wasted, usually intentionally. Does the "sanctity of life" apply? Of course not. So stop being so dramatic.

and you dont have kids please dont have any.

I do, and I love them more than my own life and would give my life to ensure their safety.

The sanctity of life is an obvious reality when you look down at the child you and your partner created and brought into this world to continue the family line.

You're construing a very melodramatic connotation, trying to imply a newly conceived cluster of cells is the equivalent to my teenage children. It isn't. Not even close.

The sanctity is built in...it doesnt need to be defended or explained....

It does when you implying the value of a cluster of cells is the same as your own grown up children. Is that what you are implying? I'm trying to see how you people are equating an undeveloped fetus to a human being.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm pro choice though I never made that choice for myself. Three pregnancies three handsome boys. (All men now)
That being said one would think that after having to suffer through that kind of decision once, one would be damn careful in the future to not get pregnant and have to go through it a second time.
My dearest friend had to have an abortion when she was a young teen and it haunted her. She spoke about a daughter she never had and a birthday that never came.
Later in life when she wanted to start a family she had a hard time conceiving. ( unfortunately her husband was an alcoholic and had low sperm count. ) She was at first convinced that something had been damaged inside or that she was being punished for what she did. So it's not just a casual oh well let's get rid of it thing for most woman. I would think anyway. She does indeed have a beautiful daughter today. I'm happy to report.

When women say "my first abortion" it infers that there were subsequent abortions. Another friend of mine whom I'd lost touch with confessed to four abortions when we caught up with each other later on. That saddened me so much.
Birth control is out there. Proactive is better than reactive.
edit on 9152017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Plimpton is a humorist. It was a joke intentionally in "bad taste."

The point I took away is that having a legal abortion is no one's business except the woman having it.

I agree with that message, if not the delivery.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

How did I know it was going to be the ugly one from Goonies..
Oh yeah, feminism.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
If it isn't human life, what other kind of life is it? And to cheer and clap afterwards is a celebration of death.

It is potential human life. Approximately half of all fertilized eggs (potential human life) spontaneously abort.

I don't see it as a celebration of death; I see it as a celebration of freedom for women, as well as a celebration of having a safe place to go (Planned Parenthood). There was a time when women had few choices for dealing with unwanted pregnancies. I would agree (as Margaret Sanger did) that preventing unwanted pregnancies via birth control is much more preferable to abortion, but sometimes stuff happens.

Abortion rates continue to go down, especially with teen girls - that's a good thing.

It is not deceased or inanimate material. There is nothing potential about it. It is human life on account of it being alive.

Yes, abortion rates going down is a very good thing.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Sillyolme

Plimpton is a humorist. It was a joke intentionally in "bad taste."

The point I took away is that having a legal abortion is no one's business except the woman having it.

I agree with that message, if not the delivery.

Abortion politics aside, I am not offended by her joke, I just don't think it's that funny.

Doug Stanhope has much funnier abortion jokes.

But people do have the right to express their disgust at this.

To me though, a joke is a joke, and I would be hard pressed to find one that really offened me.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Yep, and if they're the ones that are usually whining and crying about others feeling upset by words and identity politics, they're hypocrites, even while they have the right to express themselves; I have the right to call them out.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yep, and if they're the ones that are usually whining and crying about others feeling upset by words and identity politics, they're hypocrites, even while they have the right to express themselves; I have the right to call them out.

There's a difference between being offended at the killing of foetuses and being offended about words and identity politics. It's a good thing you're on the right side.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

There's a difference between being offended at the killing of foetuses and being offended about words and identity politics. It's a good thing you're on the right side.

People in this thread are troubled by a joke that Ms. Plimpton made, i.e. words used. They are upset because of their own definitions of what "being human" means. Let's not be hypocritical over what the words describe.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Classy.

Wonder where her 2nd best was?

Her worst was most defiantly the 14th ...

I always have believed that when Abortions are used as first choice in the form of a birth control it lowers societies morality of the value of life in general.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You must be talking about those suppressing freedom of speech right...like at Berkeley?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You must be talking about those suppressing freedom of speech right...like at Berkeley?

Nope, I'm referring to hypocrites who want to cry when others are offended by words who then cry when they themselves are offended by words. Hypocrites.

There are people all over who would like to suppress the freedom of speech ... and some who want to hide their own political narrative under that aegis.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

just my opinion - but REALITY CHECK :

you most certainly CAN rate a medical procedure as " best " or " worst "

based on any number of metrics

people are descending to hysterics JUST because the woman " rated " her aboertion procedure - not because of the "`rating " - but because she actually had an abortion

can folks honsetly say they have not " rated " the medical work they have had done to them ?

i do - i has never had an aboertion - for obvious reasons

but i can certainly rate my " best " suturing of a laceration - sat on an airport taxiway - high as a kite with a fenytl lozenge duck taped to the mouthpeice of an entenox delivery kit

the worst was sat in a swamp after agressive debridment with hydrogen peroxide - and ZERO pain relief - cos " someone " had lost all our local anestethic ampoules

so yeah - she rated her abourtion experience - get over it

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Nope, I'm referring to hypocrites who want to cry when others are offended by words who then cry when they themselves are offended by words. Hypocrites.

There are people all over who would like to suppress the freedom of speech ... and some who want to hide their own political narrative under that aegis.

Not following you... It seems you are saying that if something offends you then you have no right to have narrative that may offend others....

I don't think that is right unless it is the exact offending topic, then you would be a hypocrite.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
On the upside, the poor kid was spared lifetime of trauma. Having a parent with disposable morals can't be a blessing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join