It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Admits It Has Nukes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Amazing how most countries surrounding China are nuke ready. North Korea led by Mr Kim is in danger. Not by nukes but by the nutron method. Other local countries have far less chance of being energized thru that method of killing millions at the target location than would be with the nuke method.

If the US troops quickly move out from the de-militarized zone, watch your TVs and keep your shelters open.
Dallas

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
North Korea claims it has nuclear weapons.

Even if true..... that now makes a nuclear conflict ok because?

Nuclear conflict is never "ok".
It will result in a huge dent in the human race.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
So what is the REAL deal with NK? No one outside their inner leadership knows. Is Kim for real? Why suppose that- he could be nothing more than a 'straw man.'

What is the U.S. really up to?
No one knows for sure- even the inner circle. (give a new meaning to the term 'circle jerks')

SCENARIO
    the U.S. is ranting about NK until NK finally announces a bomb,
    now U.S. rattles the saber while still stuck in Iraq,
    U.S. gradually pulls out of Iraq by 20-30%,
    U.S. and NK face off- (trigger time here)
    'boom' an explosion somewhere- doesn't matter, NK, Japan, ocean areas, mildly populated area of U.S.,
    massive (as in humongous) retaliation,
    -end result-
    NK is neutralized,
    U.S. builds new generation of weapons to replace those used up,
    Bush gets his undeniable place in history,
    China is marginalized

This scenario is plausible. I don't believe the U.S. truly has any fear of NK and would love an excuse to unleash a new kind of warfare. Maybe a few accidental overshoots into China to neutralize Chinese abilities could be in the stack as well?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Kim and North Korea have been on a road to implosion anyhow. There is no need to "invade" or provoke war. US foreign policy towards North Korea has been amounting to pretty much a containment policy that further allows favorable conditions for that implosion of Kim and North Korea. It s simply just a matter of time before his own people will take him out or remove him. Food is so scarce in North Korea, despite their increased agro-programs, that millions are dying of starvation. The people themselves will rid of Kim or a military coup will do it for the people. Conditions are and will continue to deteriorate in North Korea, it's simply amounts to taking a back seat and watching for that self-destruction (implosion).

Exactly! You beat me to it Seek. Many suggest an imminent US invasion, but with the thinning US troops stationed in South Korea, (due to the high demand for troops in Iraq) the current/growing $500 billion US deficit, and the unlikely support of the American populace, I can't see this happening. That's not to say they don't have the capacity to conduct war in 2 theatres, just that doesn't seem to be a very beneficial move.

Now with all these theories about where the intentions of China lie, I might as well give you an interesting theory I came up with mid last year:

The invasion of NK by China! Associated Press has reported, "China, South Korea, Japan and Russia. All agree with the United States that a denuclearized Korean peninsula is a worthy goal." Not only is there next to nothing in the way of defenses along NK's border with China, but China would likely have the support of the US and international community (or at least no one would lift a finger to get in there way...well maybe France, heh) and would also be sending a message to Taiwan, not to mention the improved relationship with the Americans. China has always wanted political influence in Korea, and Kim Jong Il is becoming an increasing embarrassment. This to me seems like a logical turn of events, but with NK's deranged dictator behind the wheel there's no telling what could unfold.

-raven

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Why is this such a suprise to everybody.

I mean you could learn to make a Nuclear device online, library, college/university

Its not that hard, take a complete Nuclear physics coarse as a nuclear engineer and you will be able to.

become a chemical engineer, hey you can make Biochemical WMD.

who cares, its truly not that hard.

before I made this post i looked in my schools library and there were books of complete reference of this. With some time spent learning and studiying.

go to Howstuffworlks.com and you can get a briefe version

Science is Open domain.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Condoleezza Rice said today that north Korea "had no reason to think anyone would attack them".

Is this really the current level of US diplomacy?

If being a small ultra poor country, having once been treated murderously and appallingly by foreigners (the Japanese annexation) which the world ignored, having been used for decades as part of the 'power-play between the 'super-powers' and now finally having one of the world's only remaining 'super-powers' engaged in one of biggest military build-ups right on your door-step isn't going to create enormous paranoia, obstruct sensible dialogue and inhibit making a genuine peace, what is?

Instead of stupid threats making a bad situation worse containment along with humanitarian aid while Kim's regime collapses all on it's own seems a much better idea to me.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What if the Russian-Chinese excercise announced is truly a joint build-up to prepare for the invasion of NK and/or Iran? Massive troops movements is a classic sign to a large scale military action.

Maybe we will give them Tiawan if they get rid of North Korea for us.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yep, blame Bush for everything. I bet that's why Saddam invaded Kuwait originally. Pretty sure that's what Hitler said when he rolled over Poland, too.

The American and world press has made it perfectly acceptable to blame every lproblem and hostille action on the current Administration. Never mind that these programs take decades to come to fruition and were in place long before.

But hey, a leader of a country, who's so hated by his own people that he has to hide and play games of paranoia in order to survive, surely would never do any sort of evil if Bush wasn't in office! Baaaah! Baaah! Toeing the Hollywood/media line!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
South Korea seems to be echoing what I have said earlier, and that is that North Korea intends to use their announcement as a much bigger bargining chip once they return to the table. It also appears that South Korea isn't taking the new declaration is a new threaten, rather a heightening of the existing threat. They should, and most likely will keep a very close eye on the North.

Xinhua - English
The South Korean's National Security Council also held emergentmeeting, discussing countermeasures to Pyongyang's Thursday's declaration, on Thursday afternoon.

Moreover, according to South Korean media reports, some Seoul officials and DPRK issue experts viewed Pyongyang's announcement as"nothing especially new." They noted the DPRK has made similar statements many times before.

"Despite the North's claims that it has nuclear weapons, it is true that other members of the six-party talks have been indifferent to those claims so far," a government official was quoted by South Korean Yonhap News Agency as saying.

"Today's remarks are thought to contain the North's hopes that other countries will give credit to its claim and that the United States will start offering high-priced concessions," he said.

Some analyst also noted that in Thursday's statement, the DPRK said it would boycott the six-party talks "until...there are ampleconditions and an atmosphere to expect positive results from the talks."

Experts took this part as an indirect call for Washington to promise concessions ahead of new negotiations.

While on the another part of the announcement which said Pyongyang "manufactured nukes", Seoul said it will continue close cooperation with the United States to precisely evaluate the DPRK's nuclear capability.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the US and the rest of the world don't give North Korea the respect that they expect from their recent public declaration, I would also expect them to publically test one of their nuclear devices.

Best intel, ha ha has North Korea possessing 6 to 8 bombs. They an afford to detonate one to get what they are after.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
Yep, blame Bush for everything. I bet that's why Saddam invaded Kuwait originally.

- Don't you know about the US ambassador's meeting with Saddam pre-gulf war mk1 where Saddam was given the comment that the 'USA had no opinion' regarding how Saddam persued his disagreement with Kuwait, hmmm?

Saddam thought he had been told it was ok to attack Kuwait by his (then) US allies.
So yes, in a sense gulf war mk1 was Busk mk1's fault.

....and how about a connection between Bush dub-ya's crowd and Nth Korea's nuclear program?

Good ol Rummy, huh?

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld served on the board of a Swiss company that in 2000 sold light water nuclear reactors to the government of North Korea, which critics—including Pentagon hardliners—say could be used to produce nuclear weapons.

Rumsfeld’s involvement in the $200 million deal with the Zurich-based engineering company ABB is seen as an embarrassment to the Bush administration, which vehemently opposed the deal during the 2000 presidential campaign, reports the London-based Guardian. “One could draw the conclusion that economic and personal interests took precedent over non-proliferation,” said Steve LaMontagne of the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation.

www.utne.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Condoleezza Rice said today that north Korea "had no reason to think Instead of stupid threats making a bad situation worse containment along with humanitarian aid while Kim's regime collapses all on it's own seems a much better idea to me.

Alrighty then: Please illuninate me as to what threats of invasion and iminent destruction have been uttered here?

Also, having seen how the UN handles humanitarian aid, are we sure we want to go down this road again?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
China is a peaceful nation that will not cause any threat to America. The US propapganda, which is be aimed at China, is perthetic. I cannot see China attacking the US in the future or being the "dark player" in the world. I am put up an offer to any member of ATS to prove to me, with actual facts, that China is planning to or going to attack America.

China a peaceful nation?......
yeah.... You know... Sure...China did not invade and make Tibet part of CHina right?....China is not threatening on attacking Taiwan if they declare "independance" right?....and China has not been doing shows of force to make the Taiwanese people change their minds towards declaring independance....

If the Chinese government is capable of using their own armed forces to attack and kill thousands of their own unarmed men and women, as in Tiananmen Square, what does that tell you about their willingness to attack other countries?.... What does that tell you about them saying they will invade Taiwan if they declare independance.....and what does it tell you about the following... well, the following information is not from North Korea, so some might say that it has nothing to do with the topic. But North Korea is an ally of China, and if China goes to war with the US over Taiwan, it is on North Korea's best interest as they will be able to attack, and try to assimilate the south.

With the victory of Taiwan's Chen Shui-bian, a pro-independence candidate, the saber rattling from China has increased exponentially. As early as last month, the Strait Times warned that China had prepared Document No. 65, which detailed just how they would reincorporate Taiwan into their "One China" policy:

"Document No. 65," allegedly produced by the military sub-committee of the Chinese Community Party's central committee, discussed the possible course of a war over the disputed island claimed by China. "We would have to make a military intervention as early as possible, before the American troops are fully operational," according to the document cited by the German magazine.

Excerpted from.
www.american-partisan.com...

[As for the United States] for a relatively long time it will be absolutely necessary that we quietly nurse our sense of vengeance...We must conceal our abilities and bide our time.
- Lieutenant General Mi Zhenyu
Vice-Commandant, Academy of Military Sciences, Beijing

Excerpted from.
www.fas.org...

"Seen from the changes in the world situation and the hegemonic strategy of the United States to create monopolarity . . . war is inevitable. We cannot avoid it. The issue is that the Chinese armed forces must control the initiative in this war military bloc headed by U.S. hegemonists. . . . We must be prepared to fight for one year, two years, three years or even longer." So far as I know there has been no repudiation of the statement by Gen. Chi, who for his role in the 1989 slaughter of defenseless Chinese students is also known as the Butcher of Tiananmen Square.

Excerpted from.
www.taiwandc.org...

Let's see how peaceful China and communism really is.... of course, i am just puting some excerpts from a Chinese newspaper..

Every Communist must grasp the truth, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
--- "Problems of Strategy in China's Revolution- ary War" (December 1936), Selected Works, Vol. I, p. 224.

Without armed struggle neither the proletariat, nor the people, nor the Communist Party would have any standing at all in China and it would be impossible for the revolution to triumph. In these years [the eighteen years since the founding of the Party] the development, consolidation and bolshevization of our Party have proceeded in the midst of revolutionary wars; without armed struggle the Communist Party would assuredly not be what it is today. Comrades throughout the Party must never forget this experience for which we have paid in blood.
--- "Introducing The Communist " (October 4, 1939), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 292

Excerpted from.
app1.chinadaily.com.cn...

The government of China is not peaceful....

North Korea will most assuredly move agaisnt the south whenever China tries to invade Taiwan. It is sad, but you can read for yourselves, it is what the Chinese, and North Korean governments have in mind.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Alrighty then: Please illuninate me as to what threats of invasion and iminent destruction have been uttered here?

- Fred you seem to be on this one regularly, you must be aware that Nth Korea has only ever talked about responding to an attack on them; but that hasn't stopped many seeing their comments as threatening has it?

No doubt the same applies here in reverse.

The point being that a situation of escalating tensions requires someone to start turning down the temperatures and tensions.

We don't actually want anyone suffering do we?

....and the potential is for a catastrophe that would hurt the world deeply, right?

......and if you think 'they' are irrational and nuts then it surely falls to those of us not insane to ensure the situation does not go t*ts up, right?

Also, having seen how the UN handles humanitarian aid, are we sure we want to go down this road again?

- Don't be getting silly now.

Even if - if - there have been problems with the UN to attempt to denigrade everything it does or has ever done as many in the US are trying to do these days is just ludicrous and tragicallt short-sighted IMO.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

The point being that a situation of escalating tensions requires someone to start turning down the temperatures and tensions.

And North Korea now claiming to the whole world that they have nuclear weapons is not a reason for "escalating tensions"?.... Yes, someone did turn the situation for worse...and who was it? the North Koreans....

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
......oh well that's alright then; lets rev up for a nuclear war like we can't possibly do anything better.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

......oh well that's alright then; lets rev up for a nuclear war like we can't possibly do anything better.

oh sure, let's stand by while other rogue nations also get their hands on more nuclear weapons. Hey let's stand by as Kim continues making threats, I mean he is not going to do anything right?.... It is not like he has atomic weapons......wait...he just said they do...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
In this case, maybe we should decrease our troop presence in S. Korea. They must begin to take more responsibility for their own defense. Their lacking in this area makes Americans less secure, because U.S. soldiers will be in the crossfire if hostilities break out. Maybe the U.S. should place nuclear weapons in South Korea. It may upset China, but a least it will serve as a strong deterent to N. Korea. The U.S. and the Soviet Union during the Cold War avoided nuclear holocaust because of one thing--mutually assured destruction. Maybe the same doctrine should be applied in this situation? Would N. Korea initiate a nuclear strike on S. Korea if they knew that they would then in turn be destroyed by a nuclear strike from S. Korea?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Most of you forgot Clinton started this N.Koreans wanted Nuke energy back in the 1994 so they were gonna build nuke plant (Hard water) but Clinty Clint said "NO we will build you a SOFT WATER plant if you give us your Urainiume, NKoreans said "Yes" then for 4 years N.Koreans=(N.K.) waited and waited and waited so in 1998 N.K. relised U.S. was lying and from the beginning was never going to build a "SOFT WATER PLANT" and so thats when (KIM II) decided we will 1. build our own Nuke energy and 2. U.S. wanted us to hand over our Urainium first, so later on they can make it easier for them to make our Commie Government collapse, so now I (KIM II) see we better not only hang on to our Urainiume but weaponise 'em just in case. THIS IS THE REAL REASON N.K.'s WEAPONISED thier Urianium.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by SiberianTiger]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sminkley I fail to see how pushing negotiations is raising the tension?

Now if the US had moved nuclear armed B-2 to say Diego Garcia, Moved F-117, a few CBG etc etc then I could see your point. However, the US has removed some troops from SK.

North Korea is right about one thing: They are isolated. IMHO is far preferable to starve them out then to go in and take out that madman. Unless the Russian and Chinese commit a large number of troops, I doubt that the US has the oooooph to do it without help as alot of our forces are tied up in Iraq.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
BTW.....Humm, what do you think a crazed man might do with a nuclear weapon when he sees that he is about to lose control over a country?.... Do you want to wait and find out?...

Do you also think he will stop by having one or two nuclear weapons?....or will he continue to make more?...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join