It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 40 Lental days and the gospels

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
Joe, Al
Joe, after the passover study, take a google search on the origin of lent.

I read your 'study.'

It is a long Biblical quote session from you and Helen- but what does it have to do with Lent?

Instead of taking surf trips through Google I posted what I believe is Lent.

You want to tie it into Babylon for whatever reasons you have.

I don't. I have no problem with it the way it is.

I do not see any hidden agenda within Lent as practised by many Christians.

*edit spelling

[edit on 21-5-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
further, it's nothing more than 3 highly zealous Christians agreeing with each other over an entirely fallacious and historically laughable bit of the most ridiculous assertions I've come across on this site, yet.

I'm supposed to take this as "research"?! I may have been born in Arkansas but it wasn't yesterday!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Joe,
Im starting to doubt your sincerity now. That study was 100% Passover. Forget the thread. Any thread at this place is difficult to maintain because of the antichristian hate.
You said that you believe Lent is "this" and that is good enough for you. Great. History is now decided by opinion.

Al,
Your anti-christian hate runneth over. Thou shalt be ignored.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I never use the silly "LOL" thing in my posts but I am really LOL - if I don't subscribe to a Christian re-write of history then, I hate Christians?

You guys are just trying to re-write history, you're also trying to re-write the dictionary!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Helen,,

Its a little hard to follow Somewhereinbetweet sometimes ( I Think ) But you and the other folks are not seeing what is being said By him...
He is not saying that it not right to do your Fasting But since Jesus did the 40 day outing with Satan,, We are not requard to do the same thing, Because Jesus Did it for us.
We don't go to the cross every year and but put to Death as Jesus Did, He did a lot of things for us wile he was here and He did not require us to do to. I fact we are not able to do the same things as he did, Thats why he did then for us..
We are not to be adding things or taking things away that he told us to do, But we have started so many things now that comes stright out Babylon that came stright from the saints that were there at the Time that we are not to go BECAUSE we were not told to do then...

It like being Saved, Most pople think It just so hard to be good all the Time, Well that way Jesus went to the cross, He saved us all but we have to say Yes I belive that Jesus is the son of God and he Died on the Cross and arose again 3 days latter and to do the best we can..

As long as we are here in the flesh we can not be Good enought to be with him But when our Soul leaves this Boby and we get into our Glorified Body, Then everthing will be A-Ok for us all

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaksI don't think this is correct. It is not the same reason unless you believe that in the early centuries AD a group/society existed that had long term goals of manipulating humanity through subliminal messages and the use of symbology.
And why not, are you saying they were more stupid than those of the 9/11 conspirators you believe exist today? Think carefully now.

From your sig you clearly and 'proudly' proclaim that you believe God said something I find no support for.
Two things wrong with what you “think;” firstly, I think no such thing, as I am of the opinion that the entire biblical text is nonsense. Secondly, it is in my signature to remind all of those who ‘proudly’ proclaim that the OT section of that very same book which states Jesus is the saviour, does in fact rule out anyone but the God of same himself as saviour. Now if you do not find such support, then it behoves you to acquaint yourself with all of the text before you take a stance.

It is always interesting to watch Christians battle other Christians, as I see you as a Catholic have a non-Catholic Christian more or less telling you your doctrine is hooey. In short, the reason for that is because all of the Christian doctrine is flawed. Even though the one telling you yours is flawed owes his religious teachings to your cult.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
You said that you believe Lent is "this" and that is good enough for you. Great. History is now decided by opinion.

What do you think makes up history? Proven FACTS

Get real.

History is the winners (survivors) take on events. In the very, very early days of photography a picture could be considered historical- now it's a probable at best.

History is written in sand- as the wind blows so does our past.

Sorry, I can't help but laugh at you calling Al anti-christian. Must be from another thread- where is it so I can too?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

...fasting IS biblical. So how do you suppose that Christian should fast? In the manner of the jews?
I do not suppose or state at any toime that Christains should fast. My initial post was purely in query format:

I have a number of questions on this, anyone care to address them?

Where is this to be found within the gospels?

Why is it observed?

Why the food restrictions?

Why the restrictive differences in observance for children?

What is with the ashes on Ash Wednesday?

What does a Sunday have to do with palms and the gospels?

Why was lent important to Athanasius?

Is this a pagan observation?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
What do you think makes up history? Proven FACTS

Get real.

History is the winners (survivors) take on events. In the very, very early days of photography a picture could be considered historical- now it's a probable at best.

History is written in sand- as the wind blows so does our past.

Is this not obscurantism, tho?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by roger_pearse
Is this not obscurantism, tho?

Interesting observance. Is what I posted 'obscurantism' or is history?

I'll think on that as I have no answer at the present. As to history, it is fleeting and (sadly?) ever changing.

When I first became interested in history I read a definitve tome on military history by Dupuy and Dupuy. I must have read it hundreds of times. Full of bits and pieces and incomplete stories.

Many years later (ten as I recollect) a revised version came out. Some of the stories changed!

Such is history.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Christ was crucified for all mankind..........to destroy 'death' spiritual death

Christ who is God took flesh and became man for all mankind.

Christ was before man was created......and let's make man in our image.....Here it talks about God the Father
God the Word...Logos who became man...
God the Holy spirit......all who were before man was created.

Christians do not crucify Christ every year because there simply is nothing better to be done...
Christians do this in ''remembrance'' of what Christianity means.....to be Crucified with Christ..
To take up ones''Cross '' and follow in His footsteps......means to be able to simply live as Christ lived and whatever is given to you to accept it as a good thing......free will on your behalf

Christ died for all ...YES.....but He also did this to show us that we also will go through similar things throughout life and be hated for doing this.....

Christ chose the Apostles and told them to do as He also has done.....''do this in Remembrance of ME''
He sat with His Apostles and ate and as a Teacher to them showed them what was required of them to do for all in time to come.......

He also spoke of the New Testament Church that was going to be built by Him and that the '''gates of HELL will not destoy it........meaning that the faith of the church He will build will not be destroyed....''for the HOLY SPIRIT '' will GUIDE THEM IN THE CHURCH TO THE TRUTH.........

When one goes to church on Sunday (KIRIAKI ) meaning LORD'S DAY......it is a day of the RESURRECTION and it's significance is that it is the EIGHTH DAY ....in church you are also in PARADISE which is a KINGDOM NOT OF THIS WORLD........it is like it was in the BEGINING before the fall of Adam and Eve.....
But when Man did eat of the fruit they disobeyed the commandmaent of FASTING to not eat .....as they were told they would surely DIE.....and they fasted not and they died......
Of-Course this was a spiritual death.....and God came to DESTROY that spiritual Death .....because the only way man was able to taste of the early paradise was to be what he was in the beginning......before the fall.....

To be crucified was the worst form of punishment.....this God took upon Himself on behalf of all mankind...to destry the Old way

How was death destryed ?
By the power of the CROSS .....it's the weapon against evil .....because it's the Cross of Christ that destryed man's fall ....

Fasting is well known to the Old Prophets .....as it is to the New Testament prophets......

Restictions on fasting depends on each person......We are not to judge who can or who cannot truly fast.....
We must also remember that when God created Adam and Eve......they were allowed to eat only 'greens'' meaning vegetables/fruit.....because nature only changed after the FALL and everything changed along with what happened including animals......man was clothed after the fall (when he realised that it was a sin to be naked...he understood what naked was ..knowledge of good and bad)

Fasting also is good for man because he is not weighed down with ''food for the body'' but enough for the body to function and seek spiritual food which is Prayer for the SOUL ......when one is filled with food ,one is fullfiling the desire of being a slave to his own body...
ok...thats it
helen.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween

Originally posted by babloyi
...fasting IS biblical. So how do you suppose that Christian should fast? In the manner of the jews?

I do not suppose or state at any toime that Christains should fast.

heheh...I didn't say that you did. But helen showed you somewhere in the Bible that says that fasting is a good thing (it can help you heal others by removing their "demons").
So, as part of the supplementary discussion, I asked, how do you believe that Christians should fast? Since the Bible is silent about this, I was wondering if you believed it should be in the manner of jews instead of the how they do it now.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I can quote you many verses that will show that fasting is christian.
Even directly from Christ Himself.

I thought the question was where did Lent originate. That is all I was supplying. Nothing more. Im sure in its original form there were other things to go along with it too.
It was not originally part of christianity.

Christians had fasting, something taken directly from the jews.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi...fasting IS biblical. So how do you suppose that Christian should fast? In the manner of the jews?

Me-I do not suppose or state at any toime that Christains should fast.

heheh...I didn't say that you did. But helen showed you somewhere in the Bible that says that fasting is a good thing (it can help you heal others by removing their "demons").
You implied that I supposed same, my response corrected that. In all honesty, I have not read Helen's response, as I tend to skip all of her responses when they immediately start with the quoting of Biblical text which are no proof of their position, and the manner of presentation is unappealing.

So, as part of the supplementary discussion, I asked, how do you believe that Christians should fast? Since the Bible is silent about this, I was wondering if you believed it should be in the manner of jews instead of the how they do it now.
Simple answer, I do not believe in Christianity, nor in The Bible, therefore, I do not believe in any tradition based on any such context.

[edit on 5/25/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Simple answer, I do not believe in Christianity, nor in The Bible, therefore, I do not believe in any tradition based on any such context.

Then why, pray tell to do argue it?

Clearly many do believe. What you are attempting to do is what- convert people?

What belief to you profess?

Give me a name I would recognize so I can understand your obvious anti-Christian bent.

When you say you don't believe in any tradition based on the Bible is it that you don't believe that the tradition exists or that you don't believe in its basis or both?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

Then why, pray tell to do argue it?
Because I can, do, and always endeavour to respond to that which presents itself in oppositon to my position. Ask yourself the same question, while bearing in mind that yu have been granted no exclusive or right of way to present your opinion.

Clearly many do believe. What you are attempting to do is what- convert people?
Clearly, most do not.

What belief to you profess?
My post history will provide you with what you seek since I make no bones about my studied, not professed belief.

Give me a name I would recognize so I can understand your obvious anti-Christian bent.
Name? consider the question returned to you.

When you say you don't believe in any tradition based on the Bible is it that you don't believe that the tradition exists or that you don't believe in its basis or both?
You asked this question above, albeit in a different manner. Seek and you shall find.

Are you through with the interview or is it an attempt at side-tracking?

[edit on 5/25/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Because I can, do, and always endeavour to respond to that which presents itself in oppositon to my position.

So you argue about a belief system that you don't believe in just because you have the faculty to argue with?

My post history will provide you with what you seek since I make no bones about my studied, not professed belief.

I see, rather not answer, that's O.K.

Interview concluded.

Is Lent a practice anyone finds physically harmful?

Are these (ATS) assaults on Christianity by personal choice or because minions have been sent?

I wonder about that.

I wonder if perhaps some person (entity possibly) has not through word and or deed played upon the ready clay of corrupt or shallow minds.

Whatever the case, none can claim to the Judge that they were unaware.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join