It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba's Secret Sonic Weapon???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Once upon a time, sonic weapons might have been real in comic books or sci-fi tv shows but today such technology isn't that far fetched. US Military projects have created microwave and sonic weapons for the field and for riot preperations. It's not out of reach for major countries like the US, Russia, China, Cuba... Wait... Cuba? I wouldn't have imagined Cuba having such a weapon. Though, how it's used is just as mysterious as the incident that caused in come cases, severe damage to some Americans and Canadians alike.

This example begins with an American Diplomat getting hit by a Sonic Ray while sleeping...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The blaring, grinding noise jolted the American diplomat from his bed in a Havana hotel. He moved just a few feet, and there was silence. He climbed back into bed. Inexplicably, the agonizing sound hit him again. It was as if he'd walked through some invisible wall cutting straight through his room.

Apparently it was so strong, it caused some pretty serious damage to it's victims, ranging from/to:
- Hearing Loss, some permanent
- Speech Problems
- Brain Damage
- Concussions
- Recollection Problems
- Nose Bleeds
- Brain Swelling
... And many more symptoms.

The problem is, many of the affected persons have random symptoms and not always the same as another. Some don't even realize they were being affected and symptoms came up days later. For the knowing, even the attack was just as mysterious as they did not all happen the same way.

The cases vary deeply: different symptoms, different recollections of what happened. That's what makes the puzzle so difficult to crack.

In several episodes recounted by U.S. officials, victims knew it was happening in real time, and there were strong indications of a sonic attack.

Some felt vibrations, and heard sounds - loud ringing or a high-pitch chirping similar to crickets or cicadas. Others heard the grinding noise. Some victims awoke with ringing in their ears and fumbled for their alarm clocks, only to discover the ringing stopped when they moved away from their beds.

The attacks seemed to come at night. Several victims reported they came in minute-long bursts.

Yet others heard nothing, felt nothing. Later, their symptoms came.

The biggest part of this mystery is that sound waves shouldn't even cause this kind of damage. In this case, they really don't know what's happening. The mysteries seem to pile up and go even deeper. So many questions and no answers what so ever.

"Brain damage and concussions, it's not possible," said Joseph Pompei, a former MIT researcher and psychoacoustics expert. "Somebody would have to submerge their head into a pool lined with very powerful ultrasound transducers."

What's more, investigators don't know if the attack is coming from Cuba, Russia or some rogue group. More still, even by being allowed to investigate without hindrance, no evidence was found. An attack like this would be nearly impossible to miss. The weapon would have to be huge!

Sound and health experts are equally baffled. Targeted, localized beams of sound are possible, but the laws of acoustics suggest such a device would probably be large and not easily concealed. Officials said it's unclear whether the device's effects were localized by design or due to some other technical factor.

And no single, sonic gadget seems to explain such an odd, inconsistent array of physical responses.

Unfortunately it's not only happening to Americans but Canadians as well. Canada does have a closer relationship with Cuba so it's confusing as to why they are being affected.

The FBI and even the Canadian Mounted Police got involved and were unable to find any traces of the source of the attack. Cuba denies any involvement and even stated that they would give full cooperation and treat this with "the utmost importance".

After the U.S. complained to Cuba's government earlier this year and Canada detected its own cases, the FBI and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police traveled to Havana to investigate.

FBI investigators swept the rooms, looking for devices. They found nothing, several officials briefed on the investigation said.

Cuba's government declined to answer specific questions about the incidents, pointing to a previous Foreign Affairs Ministry statement denying any involvement, vowing full cooperation and saying it was treating the situation "with utmost importance."

"Cuba has never, nor would it ever, allow that the Cuban territory be used for any action against accredited diplomatic agents or their families, without exception," the Cuban statement said.

It's also stated that if the Trump Admin had thought that Cuba was involved, you could bet your arse that we would have done something about it.

So much mystery here. What do you guys think?

AP Source

edit on 14-9-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

If it's a sonic weapon, they would have gotten it from the Soviets during the Cold War.
edit on 9/14/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

An attack like this would be nearly impossible to miss. The weapon would have to be huge!

Not really, I was unable to go inside the chamber they kept the Hope Diamond in because the sonic pots on the walls. During the day they were 'idling', turned way down, at night they turned them up to prevent theft.

So at least as far back as the 70's they've had ultrasound deterrent devices , the ones I saw were about the size of a small coffee can hanging on the walls in the Smithsonian.

Hope Diamond

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Very glad we opened up to them and ended sanctions....they are thanking us bigly.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

An attack like this would be nearly impossible to miss. The weapon would have to be huge!

Not really, I was unable to go inside the chamber they kept the Hope Diamond in because the sonic pots on the walls. During the day they were 'idling', turned way down, at night they turned them up to prevent theft.

So at least as far back as the 70's they've had ultrasound deterrent devices , the ones I saw were about the size of a small coffee can hanging on the walls in the Smithsonian.

Hope Diamond

Yeah but how big is the source engine vs what you're seeing on the outside?

The article literally says:

Sound and health experts are equally baffled. Targeted, localized beams of sound are possible, but the laws of acoustics suggest such a device would probably be large and not easily concealed.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Sound and health experts are equally baffled. Targeted, localized beams of sound are possible, but the laws of acoustics suggest such a device would probably be large and not easily concealed.

I already gave one example of ultrasound protection devices that I personally witnessed.

Heres another

Maybe the hotel they stayed at had pigeon ultrasound deterrent. Maybe you are just trying to fabricate a mystery.
edit on 14-9-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ive had "schizophrenic" symptoms since 2010. They get louder than airplanes right in front of me. I use a personal method to test it. I know its a biotech. I would say they use a mindwave beamcast type method.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I dont believe this is cuba attacking canadians or americans.... id be curious if any cubans had experienced the phenomena.

Sound is incredibly damaging at he rught frequency, shatter glass pull down buildings, sound is a pressure wave same. Explosions are another type of pressure wave, and sound can exert a similar amount of energy over time.

I'd want more details before i decided cuba was accoustically attacking canadians and americans. I dont know what else it would be but i dont believe cuba attacked anyone acoustically or with another device. There are too many questions.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I already gave one example of ultrasound protection devices that I personally witnessed.

Heres another

Maybe the hotel they stayed at had pigeon ultrasound deterrent. Maybe you are just trying to fabricate a mystery.

Did you read the article? Did you even read my quote from the article? So how would I "fabricate a mystery" if it's IN THE ARTICLE.

Seriously...

Based on the information from the link you provided, those systems are for large areas and BIRDS and they're ultrasound. Humans can't hear the sounds it produces. I dug around the page and found some for humans but they only emit a sound that causes "disturbance".

The article specifically mentions that the beams were very focused and also they caused physical damage. It's not just an annoying sound.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I found another source with information saying that this sort of weapon may not even exists?

...a number of experts aren't sure whether such a device exists.

"There isn't an acoustic phenomenon in the world that would cause those type of symptoms," Seth Horowitz, a neuroscientist and author of the book "The Universal Sense: How Hearing Shapes the Mind," told Business Insider via email.

Horowitz explained that no known inaudible — and seemingly undetectable — device could have the properties attributed to these strange sonic weapons.

Also

Toby Heys, the leader of Manchester Metropolitan University's Future Technology research center told New Scientist that it's possible for something emitting infrasound — vibrations at a frequency below what humans can hear — to cause hearing loss. But Heys said that would require large subwoofers, making covert deployment unlikely.

Ultrasound devices, which operate above the range of human hearing, exist and could damage the ears, Heys said. But these would need to be directly targeted into the ear.

Shrugs..

I'd like to know more about this as well. If it's impossible, I wonder how over 20 people ended up with the same or similar stories.

Source

Another source with video:

Altmann added that he is not aware of any sound weapons. “The only thing that might come close is the so-called LRAD, a big loudspeaker for audible noise,” he explained.

Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) technology also has already been used by law enforcement as a “sound cannon” to disperse large groups of people. Gizmodo reports that LRAD was used to emit a painful shrill that forced protestors to cover their ears during G20 protests in Pittsburgh in 2009.

Source

Other Sources:

LiveScience
Time
IFL Science

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That, and the razor-sharp cliff edge to the noise described by the diplomat in the OP, says this was not a sonic weapon at all.

You cannot (that is, it is not actually possible) make a noise in an uncontrolled environment and dictate that it will only be heard in one particular place.

On the other hand, microwave emissions would fit the bill nicely and are known to cause auditory effects in the human ear. It's called the Frey Effect, and the US has investigated its potential as a non-lethal weapon (i.e., by making crowds suffer from agonising and inescapable noise, so they disperse).

Why would anyone beam microwaves at an Embassy? Turns out there's a good explanation for that too. It's been done in the past. Eavesdroppers can beam microwaves at your windows, because the windows bow and flex minutely in response to changes in air pressure inside. This means they can effectively recreate the noises being spoken inside that room by bouncing a microwave beam off a windowpane and subtracting the 'noise' as it comes back. It's been patented and the only mystery here is how often it is used, since it is nearly undetectable.

My money is on this being a bungled attempt at microwave eavesdropping, that injured Embassy personnel because the output was way too powerful.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Perhaps Cubans have tried a home brewed Laser Microphone?

Or using a modified horn antenna for directing microwaves in a more concentrated beam to eavesdrop through the window instead of blasting the whole wall of the building?
Source- horn antenna

The system used a horn antenna to blast a beam of microwave energy at between 30GHz and 100GHz through a building wall: If people are speaking inside the room, any flimsy surface, such as clothing, will be vibrating. This modulates the radio beam reflected from the surface, it reported. That could be amplified using the Nasa technology and analysed as before.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
My gut is telling me this isn't Cuba doing it, but rather, someone looking to disturb/cease the diplomatic progress between the US and Cuba, with an extra country thrown in to confuse -- unless the Canadians were simply just collateral damage in this/

Now, the question is, who would stand to benefit from trashing diplomatic relations? What country (or perhaps countries) could gain anything beneficial from the US storming off whipping the bird at Cuba? What would be lost that others would clamor to be the replacement for? I'm very suspicious that Cuba and the US have something going on that someone we don't get along with is not liking, and this is a way to damage that covertly.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Did you read the article? Did you even read my quote from the article? So how would I "fabricate a mystery" if it's IN THE ARTICLE.

Meh, you want it to be 'a weapon'.

The article specifically mentions that the beams were very focused and also they caused physical damage. It's not just an annoying sound.

"Focused Beams", what 'beams'? Sound is invisible. Nobody claims to have seen any sound 'gun', either. Again you want it to be an intentional attack. When you can't rule out malfunctioning alarms, bird deterrents on the hotel ledge outside the window, or someone who is sensitive to higher frequencies.

Humans can't hear the sounds it produces.

Some people do. I already told you I could at the Smithsonian. Did you read my post?

Okay, back to evil Cubans harming Americans... lol

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

1. It's extremely possible, not at all far fetched, and the people saying sound can't injure are morons!

2. No the device doesn't have to be huge at all, why would you even think that?

3. I have no idea what actually happened this time, nor do i have information on how etc the incidents happened, or any data at all really but i can still tell you the basic mechanism of how a weapon such as this would do what they're describing and etc...

Simply put, phase conjugation and certain classes of metamaterials are at work here... That's about the only way to get such intense, directed, and unnoticed unheard etc by anyone but the victims each time attacks to work especially inside an embassy in an unfriendly nation.

Basically phase conjugation is arranging the interaction of multiple sets of rf/microwave/etc emissions often coming from disparate directions etc to interact within or near your target by colliding and generating new effects at a new frequency etc. There are certain metamaterials etc which could in theory aid the process any number of ways... I only partially understand this from a few related fields i do some work in, but this is a technology we've known would first start showing up in exactly this sort of way...

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I blame Howard Stern and his sub-woofer experiments as a root cause.
Leave it to others to flip the principle to the dark side.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Wow.... Those experts suck... I mean they suck HARD!!!

Yes actually this type of stuff is extremely possible and btw any supposed sound expert who believes you need subwoofers for infrasound is a total lamebrain low information douche bag!

Hmm so... Guess none of their experts have heard of the sonic equivalent of lasers which have been admitted to exist for awhile now.

There's also voice to skull technologies which they were planning to use for advertising on trains in Germany, an Israeli company rents them out, darpas working on an infrasound super soldier helmet...

There's microwaves, phase conjugation, metamaterials, left hand path metamaterials, and a bunch of other things... Any ONE OF WHICH can likely cause some of what's being reported!

What's a ton more likely though is that this is a hybrid blended technology, likely multiuse in nature and operated by a noncuban team ...

Cuba however is a great place to do such testing for literally hundreds of different reasons none of which I'll be divulging... Frankly if you can't figure them out you don't need to know

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Dude you should quit while you're behind... You manage to be achingly HILARIOUSLY WRONG every time you say anything about science or technology or world events and this time really takes the cake even for YOU!

1. The DSS (diplomatic security service) says these were attacks, and the state department does not disagree... There goes your this wasn't an attack bull shi*!

2. you derisively mock the term focused beams of sound and jabber about no one SEEING any focused beams of sound like the OP is stupid .... Hey... Wanna know a secret? YOU CAN'T SEE SOUND!! Guess what else? The experts and actual reports talk about the incidents and explain quite clearly how the sound or whatever it was seemed to be extremely localized and focused which is not how sound normally propagates... However, it's FAR FROM IMPOSSIBLE to make sound behave that way or at the very least SEEM to be behaving in that manner to human hearing and even sophisticated instrumentation which measures sound far above and below human auditory range to far more precise levels!

Matter of fact, there's far too many ways for me to list ESPECIALLY if i list stuff that only seems to have been "heard" by one person etc since that opens up about 50 more cans of techno worms minimum...

P.s. their experts suck since sound lasers are openly discussed in white world literarure... Not to mention PEP's etc could be at work here....

Basically, they had to pick lameass experts because they don't want to give away information they don't have to.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

The mention of crickets is interesting. There was a sound effect on the old X files that sounded like crickets, and shockingly similar to the sound heard from some sonic weaponry.

(post by intrptr removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join