It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon 'turns a blind eye' to £1.5bn VAT fraud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Amazon is dodging the vat tax in Britain.
Now should I give a damn?

I've been in the business world for a long time. I've had to complete with foreign manufacturing that has no where near the cost of doing business I am forced to deal with.

"Amazon was accused last night of profiteering from a multi-billion-pound VAT fraud that is pushing British businesses to the wall."

"The scam takes up to £1.5billion a year from Treasury coffers and lets the sellers undercut law-abiding British traders, forcing them to fold or lay staff off."

"We are talking about billions of pounds of VAT being lost to HMRC and therefore being lost to the UK, and the putting out of business legitimate firms that are playing by the rules"

Maybe when America has tariffs on imports to level the playing field I'll have a more sympathetic view.
Free trade ain't free.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

America has let our corporations bend (fold) the rules for some time... Sorry it's seeping into other countries.

Hopefully they don't make it to where they can spend unlimited money on your elections there.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

One point five billion...

That is a very conservative (deliberately smaller case) estimate of the losses from big, global businesses, damaging national economies and causing job losses. I would have the entire executive and shareholder collective rounded up and questioned by the intelligence services, on economic terrorism grounds.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Amazon is not the one that's avoiding the tax.
The manufacturer is supposed to pay the taxes if I am reading the article correctly.
They are being accused of not doing enough to make sure the taxes are being paid.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It's not just Amazon, there are many large corporations exploiting the loop hole.

Until the loop holes are closed they will just continue, and with the Establishment's party running the country, those loop holes are not going to be closed anytime soon.

The opposition claim corporations are getting away with non payment of taxes to the tune of £35 billion a year, whilst the Government are running with an austere economy.

The mega rich have never had it so good.

top topics

join