It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Public Schools Are Brainwashing Students with Fear

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Some extreme examples of brainwashing is the Muslim and Amish education. Not only do they brainwash their children ideology at a very young age, they enslave them in a particular dress code for the rest of their lives!!!

Many of the Amish have a period of time that they can participate in some variation of Rumspringa. Almost all of them make a choice on whether they wish to stay with the old ways, or if they want to join the outside world. They have a choice.

My neighbors are Mennonites. They have some modern day conveniences, but stick to the old ways a good deal also. They are kind of like half in and half out. They are not shunned by the group and they home school their children.

I have to be fair. Their children are the most friendly and the most well behaved of all the children in the neighborhood. They are still young, Elementary School. They are always laughing, and smiling. That may change when they get older.

But from my personal experience, home schooled children seem to be smarter and better behaved than children in public schools. Of course, that is not saying all children in public schools are delinquents and all home schooled children are angels.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Many of the Amish have a period of time that they can participate in some variation of Rumspringa. Almost all of them make a choice on whether they wish to stay with the old ways, or if they want to join the outside world. They have a choice.

That period of time is when they're adults. The brainwashing has already been done.

We're all brainwashed in some manner whether it's political, religious or even career choices. A majority of kids who are raised by conservative or liberal parents, follow the same political party as their parents. How many of us can deny not hearing our parents complaining about the opposite party while watching the nightly news?

A majority of us were raised in a particular religious faith. I didn't choose my faith, my parents and their parents did! I and many of us just went along for the ride. Many of us were indoctrinated into a religion when we were baptized as babies! Many were dragged screaming and yelling to church by our parents, lol.

Some parents knowingly and unknowingly even steer their children into specific careers. Isn't it odd that children of some families follow their parents lead say like in the medical field, law or even the military. Some entire families promote serving in the military. All of this is still a form of brainwashing.

I didn't step away from my religion until after I was married.

I have to be fair. Their children are the most friendly and the most well behaved of all the children in the neighborhood.

You do know the Amish favor "physically" disciplining their children. I and many in the baby boomer generation can easily relate to that! We had parents that physically disciplined us. Some to the point where it would be considered physically abusive today! Back then consequences for disrespecting our teachers, parents, grand parents, or anyone in authority were dealt with a painful physical consequence such as, paddling, being hit with your father's belt, switches, the back of a hand and if that wasn't bad enough we were grounded for a couple of weeks! A lot of people in my generation would be considered most friendly and well behaved too, lol.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

We are still very tribal. Every social construct is a learned behavior, not innate. Nature versus nurture stuff. Without conditioning, the choice is free range anarchy...

Exactly. We even unknowing learn and act out some or our parents poor traits! How many times do we have to step back and think, holy #, I'm acting just like my father or mother!

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Maybe I need to reread the thread, but I didn't see anyone saying that homeschooled students aren't smart. Most that I have known have been ahead of most of their peers of the same age. Most have also been socially awkward too, but that happens with less social interaction.

It's the reason for homeschooling- is it to "protect" from the world, is it to cater to special needs of the child, or maybe the parent feels he/she can do better than what the state offers.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
It's the reason for homeschooling- is it to "protect" from the world, is it to cater to special needs of the child, or maybe the parent feels he/she can do better than what the state offers.

As a homeschool parent, I can tell you it's all of the above. The public education system in America is a broken, failing piece of machinery. Parents first and foremost responsibility is to their kids and handing them over to the state for 7 and a half hours a day to be told what to think and how to think and penalized if they question either is not showing any commitment to that responsibility. Also playing a role is the fact that in American public schools, any kid who is median average, any kid who isn't somehow "disadvantaged" according to various federally approved qualifiers, any kid who doesn't come from a family that's considered protected or is coddled to, receives absolutely nothing in the way of educational assistance or upliftment. It's putrid to watch this in action... kids posting better math grades getting special tutoring or other concessions from the school while your kid falls through the cracks, struggles daily, and hates going to school because they usually either sit and fail in silence or risk getting in trouble for nothing in retaliation for daring to take up some of the teacher's time asking for additional explanations or help.

If that's "preparation for adulthood" then screw adulthood. I'd much rather have happy, nonanxious children growing up to be responsible individuals who control their own happiness. Since making the switch to homeschool, my kids don't fight like savages after school (which was an everyday thing before, thanks to all the frustration and stress), they're both carrying mid-90% averages in their daily math work which they have never gotten beyond 'C-averages' in before, mornings are amazing times in our home again, with kids waking up cheerfully, taking their time to eat a good breakfast in their PJs while doing their morning reading rather than the Chinese firedrill stressed out slugfest and crappy "running out the door, choke down a donut as quick as you can" foolishness that was every school morning. They're not spending 2 hours every evening doing homework, because they're getting the most out of their school day, having my wife's undivided attention rather than sitting and twiddling their thumbs for a half an hour while the teacher assists (half-assedly) 29 other kids before getting to them. Productivity is through the roof. They also have weekly meet ups at the accreditation facility we're enrolled through... both kids are doing LEGO robotics and actually have more positive social interaction with other kids they share interests and programs with than they ever had at their brick and mortar schools (yes, we tried a couple public schools before saying enough was enough). I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there's also a lot more mental and spiritual clarity and peacefulness where my wife and I are concerned, since we're not stressing out over what type of philosophically bankrupt informational ordure the children are being not only told, but more importantly tested on to ensure buy-in at the public schools. It's a beautiful thing and makes being a parent such a privilege and joy compared to the alternative of dumping them off at the curb every morning to be someone stranger's responsibility and, unfortunately as seems to be the case, indoctrination victim.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AngelicIRage

Can't watch the videos but your post didn't mention anything about fear mongering...care to explain that part? I mean it's in the title of your post, shouldn't it be reflected in the quotes you selected?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

There is learning about things. And then there is indoctination.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Nothing says "Controlled by fear" like homeschooling your child because you are afraid they might learn something you do not like the sound of.

Awesome reply -

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Public, private and homeschooled students fall at both ends, and all along the spectrum. I would wager that homeschooled has more on the higher end. But that's not to say that public can't either. My 3 children fare pretty well (excell) in public schooling. I am not in a place (mentally/emotionally) where homeschooling would be the best option. I have a huge amount of admiration for parents who do, and do it well. Their children astound me. Your wife must have strong patience!

This is not to say that I don't teach my children at home. I discuss most every subject, save for math (I'm not gifted there) with my girls. Its not ideal, but neither would it be if I were in charge.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Your wife must have strong patience!

She's married to me so... sort of goes without saying.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Teachers already make dirt pay, are maligned, work 16 hours a day and pay for more than half of school supplies

They don't work 16 hours a day, cmon, that's totally unbelievable.
What, they don't have time to take a shower or eat?
Do they sleep in the classroom or something?
What about labor laws?

I'm not buying it.
I bet they work 8 hour days usually, and get weekends off in most circumstances.

In addition, I think they make pretty good pay.
And I don't believe they are forced to buy supplies for their students.

Are you just making stuff up to bolster your opinion's weight ?
Well it would backfire but luckily I analyze each individual claim on it's own merit.

It seems each claim you made is either a mere opinion of taste or 90% of the factual assertions turn out to be nonfactual and outright exaggerations or even complete falsehoods.

I'm sorry. My advice would be to research stuff before you speak out. No one's perfect but let's turn that 90% into something closer to 10 or 20% please. Until then read more and argue less.

16 hours a day I mean cmon this is ludicrous.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Nothing says "Controlled by fear" like homeschooling your child because you are afraid they might learn something you do not like the sound of.

I home schooled my children because I was afraid they wouldn't learn anything valuable.
Which is the opposite reasoning.

After they finally went to school they showed that their mother and I did them good, they are straight A+ students, get the top spot on all the exams, can speak, read, and write more proficiently than kids twice their age, and cause no disciplinary problems.

Guess I knew what I was doing. Otherwise that's a crazy coincidence!

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Do you know any teachers in real life? Cause the ones I know DO work long hours, outside of school hours. When do you think they plan their lessons and grade all the work? And those school supply lists that seem OUTRAGEOUS at the start of each school year..../ guess what happens when all the students don't bring that stuff in? The teachers pay for it if they want it. My daughter's science class doesn't even have tissues because her teacher won't buy more (it's cold season here, so they've used them all up.)

I used to think this was all made up too, until I had 3 kids there and I saw first hand.

edit on 14-9-2017 by chelsdh because: Didn't work

posted on Nov, 21 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I grew up, and remain a Christian.

School was hell, but not because there was information there which countered some passages in the Bible, not because the curriculum was against my faith (which it was not, nor is science, nor are any of the things the oxymoron which is the Christian Conservative tends to get aggressive about), or because the biological process by which I was conceived was a secret only to be discovered upon first, witless fumble upon the night of my inevitable wedding to some equally clueless zealot.

If the information had been accessible, without having to be surrounded by the ignorant, psychotic, drugged up bastards that were my "classmates", school would have been FINE. Information is good, access to it crucial, and the ability to question ones upbringing essential. Though my own upbringing was far from ideal, I know that at least one of my parents loved me, and I had my faith to guide me through it. No amount of interest in the sciences or philosophy has ever changed my faith, or even remotely threatened it in any way.

If what you have is faith, not indoctrination into a toxic congregation, controlled from the pulpit by a flawed human being with delusions of their own importance, then NOTHING threatens it, because faith is strong. Everything less than that is weak. If you need your child to stay home so that the bubble of falsehood you erect around them is not threatened, then you are bringing your child up wrong, and in the wrong church. Its pretty damned simple when you cut the lies and the nonsense out of the equation.

You have my Respects Man.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join