It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason #9234212342134 why you should not vote Republican - Example: Equifax

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So many of you know that Equifax's database was breached and over 140 million Americans are now vulnerable of ID theft; chances are that some foreign government did this and they got us all by the short and curlies.

Before I go on my political rant, if you have not checked, you should check to see if your information has been breached by going to equifaxsecurity2017.com. They will tell you if your information was "likely" or "not likely" breached.

Now for my political rant. The right wingers have been hell bent on removing regulations and consumer protections for decades. Now, liberal or right wing, 1/2 of all americans will have to deal with this uncertainty of potential ID theft because of this breach. Freezing your credit is the best way to protect yourself; but you will have to pay a fee to the 4 agencies to freeze and eventually unfreeze your credit for something that could have been 100% prevented by Equifax. Worst of all, if the hackers are smart. They would lay low for quite some time and begin to exploit the information they received. Therefore, you may not actually be a victim for years to come. By that time, it will be damn near impossible to trace the ID theft to Equifax and you are going to be left screwed having to clean up the mess with no help coming from Equifax.

This is just one of 1000's of examples why consumer protect is absolutely necessary. We need recourse for events like this, but there are so many right wingers that have been brainwashed to follow the party line that consumer protectionism is not "pro-business." Whether now or later, this is going to prove itself to be a great example of why we need protections.

Like I said above, this was completely avoidable. If you want to piss yourself off, please read this article.

gizmodo.com...

In all seriousness, I don't see how this is any different from the BP oil spill in the gulf. BP was required to set up a fund of billions of dollars to address issues relating to the spill. Equifax needs to do the same and anyone that suffers ID theft can tap into this fund to be made whole.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SeekingAlpha

Lol, really?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Lol, really?

Beat me to it....

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
If you have been a victim of ID theft, you wouldn't be posting "LOL."

Lol, really?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I would gladly give up consumer rights to end the welfare state. Just sayin

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Just wow. Probably the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Do yourself a favor and go to the equifax website in my OP. Let's see if your opinion changes when you find that your information has been compromised.

originally posted by: bananashooter
I would gladly give up consumer rights to end the welfare state. Just sayin

edit on 13-9-2017 by SeekingAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I am pissed that the big O didnt issue an EO sometime during the LAST 8 YEARS to prevent this.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Even if he did, you right wingers would be bitching about how he is overreaching his authority and Emperor Snowflake would have just reversed it now leaving both me and you f'ed.

originally posted by: shooterbrody

I am pissed that the big O didnt issue an EO sometime during the LAST 8 YEARS to prevent this.

edit on 13-9-2017 by SeekingAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Point is that barak didnt do squat to stop this. His administration put plenty of new regulations out, he swung and missed on this one.
One more way he failed this country.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Um, you do realize that the GOP controlled congress during the second half of his presidency and they are the ones charged with making laws. You do realize that right?!!

So tell me again who failed this country?

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Point is that barak didnt do squat to stop this. His administration put plenty of new regulations out, he swung and missed on this one.
One more way he failed this country.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Dude, your whole rant makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeekingAlpha
So many of you know that Equifax's database was breached and over 140 million Americans are now vulnerable of ID theft; chances are that some foreign government did this and they got us all by the short and curlies.

Before I go on my political rant, if you have not checked, you should check to see if your information has been breached by going to equifaxsecurity2017.com. They will tell you if your information was "likely" or "not likely" breached.

Now for my political rant. The right wingers have been hell bent on removing regulations and consumer protections for decades. Now, liberal or right wing, 1/2 of all americans will have to deal with this uncertainty of potential ID theft because of this breach. Freezing your credit is the best way to protect yourself; but you will have to pay a fee to the 4 agencies to freeze and eventually unfreeze your credit for something that could have been 100% prevented by Equifax. Worst of all, if the hackers are smart. They would lay low for quite some time and begin to exploit the information they received. Therefore, you may not actually be a victim for years to come. By that time, it will be damn near impossible to trace the ID theft to Equifax and you are going to be left screwed having to clean up the mess with no help coming from Equifax.

This is just one of 1000's of examples why consumer protect is absolutely necessary. We need recourse for events like this, but there are so many right wingers that have been brainwashed to follow the party line that consumer protectionism is not "pro-business." Whether now or later, this is going to prove itself to be a great example of why we need protections.

Like I said above, this was completely avoidable. If you want to piss yourself off, please read this article.

gizmodo.com...

In all seriousness, I don't see how this is any different from the BP oil spill in the gulf. BP was required to set up a fund of billions of dollars to address issues relating to the spill. Equifax needs to do the same and anyone that suffers ID theft can tap into this fund to be made whole.

Wow... I wonder why so many Democrats happily voted to strip away so many protections for the sake of the banking industry. Obama was THE Wall Street President. I wonder if anyone mentioned to him how corrupt Wall Street was?

Someone needed to sit him down and tell him to quit acting like a Republican.

Anyway... S.A., your thesis doesn't even rise to a conflation... "...because this... Republicans!"

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Just wow. Probably the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Pertaining to the OP, indeed.

Another gem to go along with all your other great content contributions.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

You do realize the big O used the epa,irs,dea,and doj to use regulations to achieve what he could not through legislation. It is why he will have no lasting legacy other than being the president with the most melanin.
In that onslaught of regulations and executive orders he missed basic consumer credit protection it seems.
He just liked Solyndra more than joe six pack.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I really want to know reasons 1-9234212342133 not to vote republican.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   

gizmodo.com...

Hmmm....not too keen on knowing how consumer protections work for the industry are you?

Read up on PCI compliance then let me know what you think. Government will never be in charge of it, that's exactly why PCI DSS was created.....so government couldn't control it and never will.

I used to do PCI audits so I have a little knowledge in the area. I can also say that in my opinion the breach was like caused by what is called the human factor internally....anyone looking to breach credit data or data in general knows that the easiest way to get it is to work the most likely route to be able to get in....an employee. Think of it similar to leaks in government. It's a LOT easier to count on and use this than it is to externally hack a corporation like Equifax.

Anywho....cant wait to see what you accuse the right of next!

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

What's wrong with simply voting for who we think the BEST person for the job is?! Frankly, I'm sick of all the "Oh gee, we gotta be LOYAL to our party's candidate...REGARDLESS whether we THINK they're RIGHT for the job or not!"

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
lol

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It doesn't make sense to you because you are completely out of touch with consumer rights. Here's what your right wing congress has supported and now if you are victim of ID theft, your recourse will be limited.

tinyurl.com...

Get educated on this before speaking. Thanks for playing.

Dude, your whole rant makes no sense whatsoever.

edit on 14-9-2017 by SeekingAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Doesn't matter if it was human error or not. The fact of the matter was that this was a catastrophic breach that was 1. preventable and 2. you will have limited path for recourse if you are the victim of ID theft......something that the GOP has been championing on behalf of the credit agencies for quite some time and now you will most likely have to deal with the aftermath and won't have crap to protect you if your information is used. Thanks for playing.

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

gizmodo.com...

Hmmm....not too keen on knowing how consumer protections work for the industry are you?

Read up on PCI compliance then let me know what you think. Government will never be in charge of it, that's exactly why PCI DSS was created.....so government couldn't control it and never will.

I used to do PCI audits so I have a little knowledge in the area. I can also say that in my opinion the breach was like caused by what is called the human factor internally....anyone looking to breach credit data or data in general knows that the easiest way to get it is to work the most likely route to be able to get in....an employee. Think of it similar to leaks in government. It's a LOT easier to count on and use this than it is to externally hack a corporation like Equifax.

Anywho....cant wait to see what you accuse the right of next!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join