It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Onion Rings on the Beach under the Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So, my beloved bride of 20+ years is a “Chef”. I think I’ve mentioned this before. She’s a classically trained and certified “Chef” from the CIA. (No, not that CIA).

Though her specialty was baking, she can out-cook anyone I’ve ever seen (including just about everyone on the “Food” Channel).
I’ve always loved to cook, and over the years I’ve learned I knew absolutely nothing about cooking, nothing at all. I’ve had to learn every single thing I ever thought I knew how to do all over again…the RIGHT way. Just seemingly simple stuff is WAY harder than I ever thought. I mean, who can screw up an egg, right? In time I’ve learned to cook the proper way…to cut things the proper way so they cook evenly, to not go gonzo on spices and just let flavors blend, to know what cooking styles work with which ingredients…it’s endless.

On a side note; when we were first married I had to reinforce a wall in our house to hold all the cookbooks we had. Literally, had to reinforce the wall! The ironic part was…not a single one of those cookbooks was hers; they were all mine. (I collect cookbooks). (And yes, I do have Julia Child’s, “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” in a 1961 cover)

She had one. Just a single cookbook. (Honestly, I don’t even know the name of it…some exotic French book). When we first met she had two knives, just two. They were probably two of the finest cooking knives known to mankind, but she had just two. I had maybe thirty (all nice, all exquisitely sharp and good steel, but nothing like these two knives). I digress.

I built an entire house around a kitchen. Just the simplest ingredient could turn into absolute magic with some little trick I’d never even thought of. Legend has said some could turn water into wine…I’ve watched it happen, right in front of my eyes. It’s just that incredible!

Anyway, I’ve tried to take notes, feeble as I may be; I try. There are tests, you know, to see how good you are. Certain foods. Things like (true) Blintzes and Soufflé’, Osso Buco, Lobster Thermidor and so many more. They will make an amateur just crazed to even attempt it. (Padded room, straight jacket, type stuff). I’ve learned…much the hard way. I might even be able to hold my own now (just so long as I never had to go up against her). I can cook a nice dish.

So, it’s a long introduction to a thread, and I apologize for that, but without context a thread is nothing.

I've traveled the World, I really have. On my very first date with my (then to be) wife, I told her I would fly her to the South Pacific and we would eat onion rings (crazy, but one of her favorite things) on a remote island somewhere, a deserted island. On our first date…we did just that. We ate onion rings (I had to tell this guy even what they were) on Tioman Island in the South China Sea….on the beach….at night. And I swear to God this is the truth, we sat there and watched Hale-Bopp comet overhead, so bright it cast a shadow off the water! Our first date.

I spent a lot of years in Asia, working. Don’t know if I’d do it again, but it was an experience, and it was a life changing thing. I’ve seen a lot of things I wish I could “un-see”, but I guess it just goes with the territory/experience. As I traveled that part of the world I realized how valuable life is…to some. And, how worthless it is to others.

But, this is about food, and cooking, right? Again, context is everything…

So I learned to cook. I learned to cook really good cuisine, not just “dinner”. I had help (as I’ve said); I had a partner. She pushed me to do it right. I’ve cooked a lot of really great things since then, a lot of really, really, great things…under the tutelage of that gal, my wonderful bride, whom I love more than words can say.

So tonight I sent her an email saying I would cook her dinner (we trade off). I said I would make “Singapore Noodles”. It’s an easy dish, and one we both know you can’t even get in Singapore actually (they’ve never heard of it). It’s just a fried rice noodle dish with curry, shrimp and veggies. There’s a trick to it, to make it right…and it turned out just right.

Of all the things I’ve done in my life, many of them difficult and trying beyond description…to hear her say…”Remember that one time we sat on the beach in Tioman and watched that comet all night long?” “And, how we rode the hydrofoil back to Singapore??”

You know, maybe you don’t learn everything all at once, but every now and then…maybe you learn just a little bit.

God Bless.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I've traveled the World, I really have. On my very first date with my (then to be) wife, I told her I would fly her to the South Pacific and we would eat onion rings (crazy, but one of her favorite things) on a remote island somewhere, a deserted island.

First date with my wife to be -A bag of Funyuns on a near deserted island . Taybee Island in the off-season
40 years later and this thread :
What the heck is up with onion rings ?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I thought you were gone down to Florida?

I have to make medicinal chicken soup for the daughter tomorrow, she is getting a cold. I will make an exceptionally strong batch to knock it out immediately. I'm not bringing her Hot Totties at work tomorrow, she has to stay sober to make sure not to disrupt her employees at their stations.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

When i met my wife i had a crotch full of dope.... im not even kidding.. life time ago. We knocked on the wrong door. Literally, that woman dragged me out of ths gutter. Loved hearing your story. Beautiful.
edit on PMAmerica/Chicago351109pm by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

When i met my wife i had a crotch full of dope.... im not even kidding.. life time ago. We knocked on the wrong door. Literally, that woman dragged me out of ths gutter.

Well , and there is that....
You only "remember" the 70s if you werent there

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

No, they waved us off. When the hurricane went west we were already in Las Vegas, but that next morning we were stood down. We flew back out to Colorado and elsewhere.

Just volunteers, general engineers and stuff going now, from the company. I don't qualify. I manage too many people to be eligible to volunteer for 3 months. Our assignment would have been 4-6 weeks, real intensive stuff. It's a different gig. (i.e. official FEMA vs. volunteer, very different).

edit on 9/14/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Onion rings give me heartburn, and my ex always wanted to eat those damned blooming onions when they were on a menu.
Thanks for the memories.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Nice thread
I love cooking too.I'm not a trained chef but i use fresh produce and authentic proper ingredients and flavorings for specific cuisine like Indian,Chinese,Italian etc.If one ingredient is not present,i wait and buy it first before making the dish.I like to devise my own dishes too,it's fun.I was just thinking the other day,it's been years since i made Osso Buco,so that's on my to-cook list
Only things i won't attempt at home are sushi and lobster.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Sushi isn't as hard as it seems once you do it a couple times. Getting the rice right is probably the hardest part, but the key there is getting the right kind of rice to start with and then mixing in the sugar and rice vinegar thoroughly.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I recently found myself with a serious case of the munchies and made the best onion rings I've ever had.
I didn't have milk or eggs, so I used melted vanilla ice cream as my binder for the panko crumbs.
Fried them in peanut oil.
Then I made a cheese sauce with condensed goat milk, muenster, and colby jack cheese to dip the rings in.
Good gawd it was awesome.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Now that's what I calll "thinkin' outside the box"!!!

new topics

top topics

join