It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good God now they're going after the Francis Scott Key Memorial and the National Anthem

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Stop denying and diminishing the evil of slavery at every turn.

Who in an official capacity, or even myself have done that?

Stop doing anything we can to avoid our national responsibility for OUR history.

I dont see this happening from lawmakers, just hyperbole from people.

Stop suggesting that the descendants of the people subjected to slavery just have to "get over it."

Who said this? Trump? Internet troll/cable news talking head?

Have a little bit of sympathy for your fellow man, some of whom remember at least part of the 100 years AFTER slavery in which Black Americans were the targets of domestic terrorism and treated like third-class citizens.

You can start there.

Thank you, but I dont see how that applied to OP, myselk or anyone in a position to do anything about it.

Anything. What thing? Are you just calling for public quotes from everyone in the limelight?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

You have my answers to your questions.

I'm not in the mood to quibble, cut and paste, deal with wild generalities, etc.

I'll leave you with what I believe: do what you think is best.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: introvert

Vandalism like this is wrong. Illegal.

Sometimes, interestingly, as with a lot of graffiti, it's a form of free speech.

Which of course, is what some are supposedly so intent on protecting here, while they condemn this.

How they keep their heads from exploding is beyond me.

Are you saying that vandalism should be protected as free speech?

See the first line in what you copied.

Unless you didn't write the rest of it, I kind of wanted to know what you meant.

again here is what you wrote:

Vandalism like this is wrong. Illegal.
Sometimes, interestingly, as with a lot of graffiti, it's a form of free speech. Which of course, is what some are supposedly so intent on protecting here, while they condemn this. How they keep their heads from exploding is beyond me.

Yes vandalism is illegal. But why do you bring up the rest? Please explain your post.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Graffiti can also be a form of speech and expression. Usually, while carrying misdemeanor charges, it's considered pretty much a "victimless crime" as it is applied on public works (walls, bridges) etc. and many times adds to the aesthetic of the area.

When I hear so many claiming that the invasion of a small town by armed Nazis and White Supremacists who then proceed to make an illegal march under cover of darkness to threaten and harass the residents of that town is merely "free speech" ... I come to question how serious any such person is on the matter of our freedoms.

To me, to hold the position that threats of domestic terrorism are okay while graffiti and minor vandalism is a very serious crime, is more than absurd, it's cognitively dissonant. I'm not sure how folks manage it.

For your future record, I'm glad to discuss the matter with you reasonably, but if you come back to this with the usual sniping partisan rhetoric I'll be ignoring you.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
And I don't believe 'they' will stop until we're so sterilized we have NOTHING left...
To be proud of.
To believe in.
To unite behind.
To stand up for.
Etc.

peace
Then they'll never stop because the more they do the prouder we get; tge stronger our beliefs; the more we stand up... and eventually it will make us unite more firmly.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Graffiti can also be a form of speech and expression. Usually, while carrying misdemeanor charges, it's considered pretty much a "victimless crime" as it is applied on public works (walls, bridges) etc. and many times adds to the aesthetic of the area.

When I hear so many claiming that the invasion of a small town by armed Nazis and White Supremacists who then proceed to make an illegal march under cover of darkness to threaten and harass the residents of that town is merely "free speech" ... I come to question how serious any such person is on the matter of our freedoms.

To me, to hold the position that threats of domestic terrorism are okay while graffiti and minor vandalism is a very serious crime, is more than absurd, it's cognitively dissonant. I'm not sure how folks manage it.

For your future record, I'm glad to discuss the matter with you reasonably, but if you come back to this with the usual sniping partisan rhetoric I'll be ignoring you.

It would be victimless if it were easily removed like liquid chalk or something.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I thought Catherine Bach worthy of worship, well adoration, perhaps...

See?

Oh, dear, is that the Confederate flag in that picture?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

First off, I'd ask you to think about your posting habits before you make demands of others.

Second, to your post:

You seem to have latched onto the Free Speech aspect of the Nazi's, skinheads, white supremacists. I honestly don't know anyone who likes them, gives a rats ass what they believe, or truly wants to hear them. At the same time, as long as they convey whatever message they wish in a lawful manner, they do have the right to express themselves, no matter how vile the words may be. I firmly believe this, just as I feel you have the right to say the things you do in which I vehemently disagree. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church has the right to do what they do. Nobody has to like it, and praise the Lord, nobody has to listen to it, they can ignore it. But again, those groups have the right to free speech.

Graffiti, is damage to property. It's illegal, and it imposes destruction on someone's property that isn't theirs. If I thought you would look better painted pink, and I spray painted you, it would be a crime, just as if I painted your house or car, without your consent. Even if I thought it looked better or made me smile. It would upset you, cost you money to fix, and be an unneeded burden on you. So I disagree with you that Graffiti is anything but vandalism.

If you wish to silence others right to speak, I feel that is a crime against freedom itself. It's oppression and the very definition of fascism. I don't agree with it at all.

Thank you for explaining your post as asked.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: butcherguy

I thought Catherine Bach worthy of worship, well adoration, perhaps...

See?

Oh, dear, is that the Confederate flag in that picture?

She and those are what I think of when I see that flag. It's why I'm against it's removal.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I think that particular 3rd part of the SSB was in reference to the slaves that were fighting for the British against the Americans, because they enslaved them.

Wonder why it's not part of what we sing at our sporting events and such.

Likely the same reason the 2nd and 4th stanzas aren't, namely because nobody wants to start sporting events standing for 10+ minutes while the whole damn thing is butchered by some pop diva.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
just helping the repub secure 2020

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

How surprising, more anti-white racism in the US!

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
The Neo-Confederates pushed to have it the National Anthem.

LOL, his argument, "it's the history, it's the history of the song".

But sir, aren't you also in favor of removing history that ties in with slavery?

Which history is OK and why is it he gets to decide? Why is it that any small group feels they get to decide what other meant, what others feel, and what others think? Fascism.

often capitalized :a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

This from 2010. It's been ongoing.

Star Spangled Banner Banned students from singing in front of Lincoln Memorial

U.S. Park Police confirmed that the students were in violation of federal law and their impromptu performance constituted a demonstration in an area that must remain “completely content neutral.”

edit on 14-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

When people wonder what stupid looks like, you should show them that.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

When people wonder what stupid looks like, you should show them that.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I didn't make a demand sweetie; I stated a fact. Please feel free to ignore me anytime.

No, I've "latched on" to the disgusting apologetics on display here for Nazi/White Supremacist terrorism trying to hide it under "free speech."

They didn't convey anything in a lawful manner. They conducted an illegal march under cover of darkness armed and screaming Nazi slogans.

Disagreement is not an open threat of violent assault.

Yes, I know what graffiti is, thanks for being pedantic.

If you tried to paint me any color, one of us would be in jail for assault.

I don't wish to silence others right to speak, obviously. I will call out dishonestly and bigotry when I see it, and I will condemn the acts of known terrorists.

You are welcome; I'm glad to communicate civilly and rationally at any time; I tend to give what I get.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You are welcome; I'm glad to communicate civilly and rationally at any time; I tend to give what I get.

As do I, in spades.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

As do I, in spades.

Sure.

I'll look forward to it then.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

This is another case of something I just don't know about. Nazis having midnight marches and saying things. I missed it.

Sorry, until it's in context, I just don't know how to respond.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

This is another case of something I just don't know about. Nazis having midnight marches and saying things. I missed it.

Sorry, until it's in context, I just don't know how to respond.

Charlottesville VA.

CNN

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join