It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good God now they're going after the Francis Scott Key Memorial and the National Anthem

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Turkenstein

What's you point?

The point is that those protesting history don't know enough of it. Blacks captured blacks from other tribes and enslaved them from the dawn of history. Then they discovered that they could monetize their captives and did so. Some people think that British sea captains wandered through the jungle grabbing up victims when there was an entire logistic train that provided them for purchase at African ports.
Vikings were primarily slavers. Greeks had slaves. Romans had slaves. It seems that everyone had slaves. Iceland, during the inception of the Althing, had more thralls [slaves] than free men.

Time to stop whining about the past and fix the present.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Vandalism like this is wrong. Illegal.

Sometimes, interestingly, as with a lot of graffiti, it's a form of free speech.

Which of course, is what some are supposedly so intent on protecting here, while they condemn this.

How they keep their heads from exploding is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

So slavery really wasn't that big a deal then, since everyone was doing it?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Gryphon66

I still can't get my head around this outrage over symbolism.

First they came for the Dukes of Hazard...and I said nothing.

Oh, the slippery slope.

Some love minimizing the real dangers and maximizing absurdity.

They loves them some Alinsky Rule 9.

Off topic: I've come to the conclusion you must be a woman. You change your avatar more than a woman changes clothes.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Sometimes, interestingly, as with a lot of graffiti, it's a form of free speech.

Which of course, is what some are supposedly so intent on protecting here, while they condemn this.

It's only free speech when it's in a form they agree with.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: introvert

I still can't get my head around this outrage over symbolism.

First they came for the Dukes of Hazard...and I said nothing.

Oh, the slippery slope.

Some love minimizing the real dangers and maximizing absurdity.

They loves them some Alinsky Rule 9.

Off topic: I've come to the conclusion you must be a woman. You change your avatar more than a woman changes clothes.

Never miss a chance for needless sexism.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Are you saying that vandalism should be protected as free speech?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Authoritarians aren't for anything resembling free speech. They use such words and concepts like tools.

Or, more exactly, they parrot the ones that know how to use tools.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The Neo-Confederates pushed to have it the National Anthem.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

So again I ask what's you point? Is it ok that blacks sold blacks? Is that your point? They did.. so the Europeans could too. It was all ok?

I'm still not getting why your bringing this up. Please help me understand.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Apparently that's the point. My mom used to have an answer for me when I said stupid stuff like everybody's doing it. It usually involved a bridge and the likelihood of me following my friends when the jumped off of it.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

So slavery really wasn't that big a deal then, since everyone was doing it?

Looks like a facetious comment.

Point being -I dont speak for OP but I will anyway- history is replete with slavery. Are you going to run down the list and enact compensation for those cultures affected?

That would be not only impossible, but petty to impose hundred and thousands of years of history upon a modern culture unrelated to the older except by genetics.

Choosing not to run down every slavery rabbit hole in history is not the same as "that big a deal then, since everyone was doing it"

I think you know that.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Looks like someone will have to start a Bronze Lives Matters campaign.
That's right, it's about color which turns a sickly green with age.
I'm outraged there's a statue to a lawyer in the US.
They already tore down Roger Taney's statues and he was SCOTUS.
Who also had the balls to call out Lincoln on his abuse of habeus corpus.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Which needs more attention right now?

A memorial to a man that wrote the lyrics to a song that had the word 'slaves' in it?

Or that fact that there are countries where slavery still exists.

Go paint slogans on the embassies of some of the biggest offenders.... make a difference.

Here is a map... Colorlines

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
The Neo-Confederates pushed to have it the National Anthem.

LOL, his argument, "it's the history, it's the history of the song".

But sir, aren't you also in favor of removing history that ties in with slavery?

Which history is OK and why is it he gets to decide? Why is it that any small group feels they get to decide what other meant, what others feel, and what others think? Fascism.

often capitalized :a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

In rough order of your offering:

Wow, ya think? Hyperbolic too.

I'm not in favor of any compensation or reparations, so you're barking up the wrong tree.

Not only impossible, it's an absurd comment. However, as Americans we can simply ACCEPT that our country kept people in slavery LONG AFTER most of the world had made it illegal. Acting like we have no culpability AS A NATION AND A PEOPLE is cowardly.

No one's "running down every slavery rabbit hole" and now you're playing the hyperbole game yourself.

It doesn't look good on you, either.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Are you saying that vandalism should be protected as free speech?

See the first line in what you copied.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Then whats your point? We admit the US had slavery far past other developed nations, but we werent the last... still.

What now?

I just refuted your comment as slavery being not a big deal because everyone did it, as to where OP was coming from as I saw it.

Its a big deal, we agree.

What now?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Then whats your point? We admit the US had slavery far past other developed nations, but we werent the last... still.

What now?

I just refuted your comment as slavery being not a big deal because everyone did it, as to where OP was coming from as I saw it.

Its a big deal, we agree.

What now?

You "refuted" a purely rhetorical measure; good for you.

That's called giving you the benefit of the doubt.

What now?

Stop denying and diminishing the evil of slavery at every turn.

Stop doing anything we can to avoid our national responsibility for OUR history.

Stop suggesting that the descendants of the people subjected to slavery just have to "get over it."

Have a little bit of sympathy for your fellow man, some of whom remember at least part of the 100 years AFTER slavery in which Black Americans were the targets of domestic terrorism and treated like third-class citizens.

You can start there.

edit on 14-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Pretty soon, people will want try to change history books to erase what "offends" them.

How certain members are denying the existance of a new world order is honestly shocking me.

You three know exactly who you are. You all seem to have a strange bond when threads like these attack your way of thinking. Then you come out of the woodwork, like clockwork, and ramble on about how everyone else is not up to par.
How...or better yet why...are you able to deny this?
It's not only blatanly referenced in many public speeches, it's now recognized as a "new" world order by the top officials around the world.

Man.
And I thought this was a conspiracy site.

edit on 14-9-2017 by havok because: Spelling

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join