It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage as well-known rapper 'lynches' small white child in music video

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: carewemust

No whites have helped champion civil rights for all of American history.

JFK did

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: openminded2011

Ironic, as civil war statues are coming down all over the country as symbols of "racism", this is ok. Perfect example of the total hypocrisy and double standard we are living in. Zero tolerance for perceived racism from white people, but its totally ok to hate on whites 24/7.

You didn't watch the video, did you?
Yes I watched it, and it was disgusting. I would be just as disgusted in a black child was lynched by the way. This is going to do nothing but perpetuate hate.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I am sorry but that's utter nonsense. Do you know how many union soldiers gave their lives to end slavery? Ever heard of the quakers? Did you know that Charlton Heston marched for civil rights back in the 60s? Lots of white people were and still are for civil rights. Maybe you should visit your local library and do some reading before making such an inflammatory statement.

]

edit on 17-9-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Ironic, as civil war statues are coming down all over the country as symbols of "racism", this is ok. Perfect example of the total hypocrisy and double standard we are living in. Zero tolerance for perceived racism from white people, but its totally ok to hate on whites 24/7.

Yes I watched it, and it was disgusting. I would be just as disgusted in a black child was lynched by the way. This is going to do nothing but perpetuate hate.

Is it going to to do anything other than perpetuate hate? Perhaps open up a dialog? Are you aware of what "Shock Art" is?

I think the definition speaks pretty clearly to this conversation:

Shock art is contemporary art that incorporates disturbing imagery, sound or scents to create a shocking experience. It is a way to disturb "smug, complacent and hypocritical" people.[2] While the art form's proponents argue that it is "imbedded with social commentary" and critics dismiss it as "cultural pollution", it is an increasingly marketable art, described by one art critic in 2001 as "the safest kind of art that an artist can go into the business of making today"

shock art

This video is not unique. And you can argue the merits of art but that is what it is.

Closer to home the news that Andres Serrano’s infamous 1987 photograph “Piss Christ” would be exhibited again in New York had some Christians calling on President Obama to denounce the photo as strongly as he denounced the video. (On the show’s opening day William Donohue, the president of the Catholic League and a veteran of the fight over “Sensation,” released his own video showing a bobblehead Obama doll submerged in feces-colored water, declaring, “The cultural and political elite are basically secularist; they don’t believe in God. This is their god.”)

Piss Christ pissed a lot of people off.

Many participants in this forum cast a weary eye on what sometimes passes for shock these days. Roberta Smith, The Times’s co-chief art critic, wrote that people sometimes “deliberately choose to be shocked and to use their shock in divisive, irresponsible, sensationalizing, not to mention politically manipulative ways.”

We choose to react the way we do to art.

Marcus Harvey has been angering people for a long time. His Myra painting set off a lot of people.

marcus harvey

The fact is, this is not new, and this is an established art form. You don't have to like it or agree with it but the selective outrage over this video is mind blowing.

examples of shock art
edit on 17-9-2017 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Is it going to to do anything other than perpetuate hate? Perhaps open up a dialog? Are you aware of what "Shock Art" is? I think the definition speaks pretty clearly to this conversation:

Shock art is contemporary art that incorporates disturbing imagery, sound or scents to create a shocking experience. It is a way to disturb "smug, complacent and hypocritical" people.[2] While the art form's proponents argue that it is "imbedded with social commentary" and critics dismiss it as "cultural pollution", it is an increasingly marketable art, described by one art critic in 2001 as "the safest kind of art that an artist can go into the business of making today"

shock art

This video is not unique. And you can argue the merits of art but that is what it is.

Closer to home the news that Andres Serrano’s infamous 1987 photograph “Piss Christ” would be exhibited again in New York had some Christians calling on President Obama to denounce the photo as strongly as he denounced the video. (On the show’s opening day William Donohue, the president of the Catholic League and a veteran of the fight over “Sensation,” released his own video showing a bobblehead Obama doll submerged in feces-colored water, declaring, “The cultural and political elite are basically secularist; they don’t believe in God. This is their god.”)

Piss Christ pissed a lot of people off.

Many participants in this forum cast a weary eye on what sometimes passes for shock these days. Roberta Smith, The Times’s co-chief art critic, wrote that people sometimes “deliberately choose to be shocked and to use their shock in divisive, irresponsible, sensationalizing, not to mention politically manipulative ways.”

We choose to react the way we do to art.

Marcus Harvey has been angering people for a long time. His Myra painting set off a lot of people.

marcus harvey

The fact is, this is not new, and this is an established art form. You don't have to like it or agree with it but the selective outrage over this video is mind blowing.

examples of shock art

Fair question, now let me ask you one.

Do you think if a Caucasian artist used this concept, of lynching a black kid, that it would be received as "shock art"? Can you even imagine the reaction to that by black activists? Give an honest answer. I don't think we need some convoluted cryptic art expression to open a dialog, we need honesty and people operating on an adult level. We know what the problems are, we don't need to hide it in some video that's only going to anger people. That's moving AWAY from dialog and causing more polarization. And lastly, do you honestly believe this kids motivation is to open a dialog? I think he is capitalizing on the current racial tensions by creating a video so controversial that it will go viral and raise his visibility. IMHO its got very little to do with improving relations.
edit on 17-9-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I don't think we need some convoluted cryptic art expression to open a dialog, we need honesty and people operating on an adult level.

Well, to understand what the artist is doing you have to understand the art. That's part of being honest and operating at an adult level.

To your question, if a white artist had a video showing a lynching (both black and white - as this video did) I would imagine there would be hysteria from all sides, not just African Americans. I never said people are reasonable; in fact the opposite.

Shock art often times exposes us for the feigned outrage we express in the moment of seeing it. We don't act as adults, we react without thinking. Sometimes though we seemingly need to be shocked to understand the significance of the issue.

And lastly, do you honestly believe this kids motivation is to open a dialog? I think he is capitalizing on the current racial tensions by creating a video so controversial that it will go viral and raise his visibilit

I think it is because of the current racial tensions he made the video. You can call it "capitalizing on it" I suppose; you know, strike while the iron is hot type of thing. And of course he wants to raise his visibility. Again, it's your choice how you wish to view it. But funny thing, here we are having a dialog.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
white people do it for real, till this day. what makes this any different then white produced movies that include scenes of lynching black people.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I give up can't embed stupid youtube
edit on 9/18/2017 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

We have stuff like this on MSM and all anybody wants to talk about is White supremacy and neo-Nazis.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

We have stuff like this on MSM and all anybody wants to talk about is White supremacy and neo-Nazis.

And skrateboards. And prizza.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

And skrateboards. And prizza.

Doctor to doctor.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

I know. I know.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

By your reckoning then, any voice that doesn't toe the line, whatever that line may be, is to be suppressed?

Am I fine with an effigy being hung? Why not ask me if I've stopped beating people?

Either speech is totally free, or it's not free at all. That's a lesson I've had to relearn--right here on ATS, as I recall.

An it harm none, do what you will.

Free speech is not the same as incitement to violence. One is a right, and the other is a crime.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Wow, I haven't seen such epic s#fits since M.I.A's short film video, "Born Free" came out. And that one was WAY more shocking than this rapper's video is.

In case you missed all that pearl-clutching, it depicted redheads as a targeted group being profiled, subjugated, and killed. Obviously, it represented the BS minorities & shunned groups go through from mistreatment to genocide globally, with a more innocuous (as far as perceptions go) group as the representation.

I'd link the YT video, but YT yanked it back when, due to a ginger kid taking a bullet to the temple & another meeting his demise with a landmine.

Lucky for everyone, It's on DailyMotion.
www.dailymotion.com...

Edit: And I don't see people running around killing gingers thanks to M.I.A, so the excuse that a violent video will always trigger violence is manure.
edit on 9/27/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

More people should talk about how rap music and lyrics trigger bold and brazen crimes like you see this African American lady perpetrating on the elderly white lady in a wheelchair.

Robbed In a Los Angeles Store Aisle: insider.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

JFK did

So did Lyndon B. Johnson.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

We gain a tolerance for endorphins as we age. Music that used to cause your brain to release those endorphins no longer does, UNLESS it's from nostalgia.

Sounds very "sciencey"

25 odd years later I still despise rap of any form; but I'm always looking to explore other music styles. Funny that

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

x was an unsigned artist when this video was released. he had a publishing deal with an indie label to distribute his debut album

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join