It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Shot at Washington State High School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
4 Shot at Washington State High School

Emergency crews are responding to Freeman High School in Washington state's Spokane County after reports of shots fired on campus Wednesday, KXLY reports. A school resource officer says four were injured at the Rockford school and that a suspect is in custody. All schools in the area were on lockdown as a precaution.

Updates coming.

I'm a gun rights advocate, I am. But I hate this crap.

I wish teachers were armed. Well, I might have to think on that one a bit.

peace

Edit to Add

Six shot at Freeman High School; suspect in custody

This just came in like three minutes ago.

Multiple injuries have been reported and a suspect is in custody after a shooting at Freeman High School in Rockford, south of Spokane. Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich said at the scene that six people were shot, one fatally. “The shooter is in the backseat of a patrol car right now,” Knezovich said.

More to come.

“They did a modified lockdown drill yesterday,” she said. “I thought it was weird because they wouldn’t do (a drill) two days in a row.”

Now that should get some attention...

Spokane Public Schools said on Twitter that all schools in the district “are in full lockdown as a precautionary measure.” An automated phone call also went out to parents of Spokane schools students. Freeman schools are not part of that district.

Cheryl Moser said her son, a freshman at Freeman High School, called her from a classroom on the second floor after hearing shots fired. “He called me and said, ‘Mom there are gunshots.’ He sounded so scared. I’ve never heard him like that,” Moser said. “You never think about something happening like this at a small school.”

It's happening everywhere. People are just going freakin' nuts these days.

Why? The reasons would bounce ATS bandwidth through the ceiling.

peace and prayers for all involved.

edit on 5542Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Shooting reported at Washington State high school

He got me by a few minutes on this thread - but I think since it's in BAN I can still keep this one open.

I would like to hear people's opinions on arming teachers though.

peace

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

It's a shame that nobody in today's society has been able to isolate the factors that make this a reality. In the past, up till the 90's, this just didn't happen, and guns still existed. Some thing, or things have fundamentally changed and caused our society to degrade to this point. But I'm biased in that I cannot imagine taking a person's life. If I had to do it in war, I'm not sure I could, or would be able to deal with it. I just don't get it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I wish that the adults who had the gun he managed to steal would be adults, and prevent this sort of thing from happening.

I am 100% 2nd amendment, but with that comes responsibilities.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Putting a gun in every classroom would create more problems than it solves.

Kids can get into anything a), and b), the need for it would be so rare, why bother?
Heres the cops complaint. During any shooting they have to respond to the situation, door to door, opening and clearing room by room. Imagine their concern, some poor frightened teacher is somewhere behind every door, armed with a pistol, just waiting for someone to come thru that door?

(insert loud buzzer sound)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I think it is a combination of things.

1. We are so divided as a people, and we are entrenched in our own positions, and will not listen with an open mind to an opinion other than ours. We yell and argue. Eventually that can lead to hate and violence.

2. I truly believe a lot of this started after the NYT ran a headline "God is Dead" in 69. When you have nothing to check your morals to, you lose them. I am not asking people to believe in God if they do not want, but to uphold the 10 commandments would def help heal our country...they are common sense ideas.

3. We now live in a world where violence is glorified in movies and music.. don't get me wrong, I love a good fight scene or car chase but when you are fed this as a steady diet, it is what you grow into.

4. We have nothing to believe in anymore. Even when we differed with others in the past, we still believed in our country....our families, neighbors and friends. That is what helped hold us together. Now half the country hates the other half, and there is nothing binding us together.

5. We do not believe in personal responsibility anymore. We hear that, say, a kid gets in a fight.....well, he was from the inner city which means he is poor, no jobs and bad education system. We don't talk about how he could have applied himself in school to get better grades, or how he could work at a crappy part time job to get experience to move up in the world. Instead, it's not his fault because of those things, so we need to prop him up ....Basically give him a fish instead of teach him to fish. That also contributes to a feeling of low self worth, and can lead to anger and violence.

Just my thoughts.
edit on 13-9-2017 by theatreboy because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You are right, something has changed.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. Dad had a gun cabinet in the den. It was unlocked and some of the guns were kept loaded but I wouldn't even dare to touch the cabinet without Dad saying it was ok. As I aged I was allowed with permission to get a couple of them out once Dad showed me how to handle them. Same way for my siblings.

We ran around with cap pistols playing a lot. Got into a few fist fights and if I lost I could expect trouble when I got home. It was yes sir and no madam, open doors for the ladies and better to keep you month shut unless you had something that needed saying.

No one got shot at the school, church, shopping center or theater.

Yup, something has changed.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If this follows the usual pattern.
Male student with mental issues.
Probably on antidepressants.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

some very astute points. I feel like lack of religious ideals, glorification of violence, and the breakup of the family unit are factors. Like you, not shoving religion at anyone, but with it, there is structure and remorse. Having both parents working may also be a factor. (guilty here, and I can make excuses, but none of them pass the sniff test)

I wish it was a simple fix, but it seems as if it's anything but.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Same here. My bedroom closet had loaded guns in it my entire life. Guys came to school with guns in the gun rack of their pick-up trucks. Nobody got shot.

Here's the difference: Nobody was prescribed psychotropic drugs in our day. They didn't drug kids when I was in school---today is different. We don't know what those drugs are doing to developing brains but obviously some of those brains get totally twisted. We need to stop drugging our children.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
school shootings should be in the general chit chat forums.... I guess the season starts early this year.... only month 1 and 2 major ones...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Same here.

It'd start just about this time of year, around here. Upland bird season, pheasant and grouse, I'd have my dbl. barrel 20 gauge, or my granddads old .410, maybe both in my car (when it ran...), or my friends truck, along with his. Right after school off we'd go.

Later, when deer season opened, my rifle would be there, too. There'd be a dozen others doing precisely the same thing. You always knew who was goin' huntin' after school--blaze orange was the color of choice for jackets and hoodies. Cool thing was, we had to drive five minutes to our spot. Never failed to get a brace of pheasant.

Now a days? I'd have been hauled off as a dangerous loon, or some such thing. Times change, and not always for the better.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Yes, it does.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

My thoughts from that other thread:

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: slapjacks

Well, the running goal is to train the teachers in proper responses to incidents like this BEFORE they are licensed to carry in the school. Hopefully that would necessitate quarterly training, if not monthly, to keep the license, because I do agree with you--if the teacher is not well trained, there is a 50/50 on whether it would help or hinder.

I'm for it, but obviously it would need to be voluntary, and it would necessitate ample training.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Same here.When I went to school many of us had a hunting rifle in the back of the pick up truck.If you did that today in some state's you would end up in the slammer.Something has changed and I came up with the prescription drug theory as well.Very sad.Star for you.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The thought of being one of those parents waiting in the long line of cars to see if their child is alright just tears me up (you can read that as "teers" or "tares," as both are appropriate)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Absolutely it would necessitate an incredible amount of training, and continual re-qualifying--quarterly, at the least. Stringent security on the firearms, secured in quick access gun locker. Notice I said quick access, not easy.

There are so many hurdles to cross that it's unlikely something like this would ever happen much past being explored...but it should be, at least, explored.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Out of curiosity, do you know the age of the assailant or the fact that the weapons were had illegally (obviously illegal to have on school grounds, but I think that you understand my question)?

I can't find any of that information.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Since you seem interested:

Ohio school district will allow teachers to carry guns

GEORGETOWN, OH (FOX19) -
Some teachers and staff members will be armed when Georgetown Exempted Village students return to class next week,

The school district adopted a resolution to allow certified teachers and staff members to carry concealed guns.

Teachers and staff who are authorized to carry weapons must maintain a concealed carry license issued by the State of Ohio and undergo training with the Georgetown Police department.

There are instances that will be interesting to follow...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Interestingly maybe it is just more reported?

Cause really school shootings are nothing new body count may be higher. School shootings earliest reporting in 1764...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join