It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widow of Murdered Indian Man Facing Deportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
www.hindustantimes.com... QnhAaKxL.html

Seems the widow of an Indian national who was murderd a short while ago in Kansas (www.cbsnews.com...) is subject to deportation since her husband held the H1-B visa for them being here.

Ironically Republican congressman Kevin Yoder stepped in at the last minute to help her with a temporary 1 year reprieve.

I can see 2 different mindsets on this:

The first (as a Trump Supporter) - The law is the law. Sorry for her loss, but she gets a one way ticket to India because the law says so. Making exceptions for her undermines the entire modality of those who voted Trump in office to cleanse the country of immigrants. The overarching intent would have been to deport her anyways, so why are we letting 'feelings' affect our judgment, and why the hell is a Republican congressman actually working to keep an immigrant here in the country.

The second (as an Immigrant Supporter) - Kudos to Yoder for fixing this, but why the preferential treatment/consideration in this 1 case when there are thousands more deserving of the same consideration and the President/Congress couldn't give a flying pig about it. Is it because of the PR coverage, or more likely is it merely a way to avoid bad press for a year and when everyone's forgotten she can be deported without any backlash?

edit on 37pm17fpmWed, 13 Sep 2017 12:37:36 -0500America/ChicagoWed, 13 Sep 2017 12:37:36 -0500 by Wayfarer because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
How about she's recently widowed in a foreign country and we "ease up" on tossing crap at her?

Not to mention she wasn't here illegally.
GEEZE!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

If people want to stay in this country, why aren't they at least TRYING to go through the steps to become a citizen? Why are they always thinking they're just going to get away staying here for extended periods of time and using NONE of that time trying to become a citizen and then complaining about it when you're going to be deported?

The same thing goes for dreamers. They've been here how many years and how many of them has applied for citizenship?

...and we're just supposed to give them a free pass...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
How about she's recently widowed in a foreign country and we "ease up" on tossing crap at her?

GEEZE!!!

Key words... "foreign country".

No one's tossing crap at her. It's unfortunate that she lost her husband to violence in our country. So we just give her freedom to stay now, right? Hell no! That's not how it works.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

She received a reprieve presumably to sort her affairs and make arrangements.
NOT to "move in".

Jumping the shark with assumptions are ya?

Her husband was hired for a job legally and she is here legitimately. It's more than possible she would have to return for the murder's trial, an additional expense most of us couldn't afford. For all we know her presence in Kansas is necessary right now for legal reasons.

But hey! Lets just cap on the widow cause she's NOT a citizen! It's not like her life doesn't already suck, right?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Really sorry for her loss and the way it happened.

She should be allowed to stay as long as the original H1-B contract was for. That's how long they both would be allowed to stay if he wasn't murdered.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Hmmm ... both of your examples are core authoritarian.

How about "the proper use of political power is to correct blatant injustice when seen (even on an individual basis, for example, executive pardon) and work to remove such injustices from the system at large"?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Oh I entirely agree with you. They were bait to get the conversation started.

I am entirely against deporting illegals (rather make them citizens quickly and efficiently).

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
oh the irony, husband killed by a Trump mentalist because he looked foreign, now wife became an illegal and no amnesty under Trump...
reality is stranger than fiction...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I am the sole income earner in my family. My wife is able to be a SAHM with our 3-year-old daughter and to homeschool our 14-year-old son as a result.

If I were to get murdered in Indiana (I only live about 20 min away from the border), it, too would toss my family into disarray and possibly completely alter their way of life, above and beyond the obvious emotional concerns.

I'm glad that someone intervened in a compassionate way (finding it ironic just because it's a Republican is a pointless aside), but sadly, this is life, and many, many people's lives are negatively affected by the death of a family member.

Again, I'm glad that there was a compassionate reprieve from immediately uprooting her current life, but her status as a foreigner and the possibility of deportation is just one effect of many that happen to people everyday around the world. Hopefully she finds a way to move on the best that she can, and if that means having to do it in her home country, that's just how life happens.

She has lived in the U.S. since 2007--could she not have sought permanent residency/citizenship in the past decade? I have sympathy on one side and I'm at a loss of understanding on the other. I mean, I assume that she was here for five years on a student visa, and then married and got a green card through his H-1B visa. I understand that it's a lengthy process, but if she is looking to live here permanently, it seems as though she would have already filed her N-400 form at some point within the past five years at least, if she hasn't already (and assuming that she qualifies having a green card under someone here under an H-1B visa).

My compassion is there, but I don't understand her intentions versus her actions if she really wants to remain here permanently. If she does, though, I hope that it works out for her in the end.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I would challenge everyone who makes a claim in the vein of 'well why didn't all these people apply for citizenship while they were here?" to look into the specifics of actually achieving citizenship, and the time-frames/costs involved. It is overwhelmingly likely that many if not most of them were working towards it in some fashion but instead of being given a quick and efficient pathway, were left stranded behind years of procedural red tape and various obstructionist policies.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
I would challenge everyone who makes a claim in the vein of 'well why didn't all these people apply for citizenship while they were here?" to look into the specifics of actually achieving citizenship, and the time-frames/costs involved. It is overwhelmingly likely that many if not most of them were working towards it in some fashion but instead of being given a quick and efficient pathway, were left stranded behind years of procedural red tape and various obstructionist policies.

I think you will find agreement from all political parties that the pathway to citizenship is ridiculous. I would point out however than one group in particular is for less govt and less red tape and less bureaucracy overall which would definitely be a help in scenarios such as this.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

GEEZE!!!

Her husband was killed here..why would she want to stay and not go home?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

In a grand sense, and to a limited extent. I think you would be hard pressed to find a liberal with a distaste for reducing the difficulty on the path to citizenship.

The current administration though is openly and actively hostile to immigrants and is in fact increasing the bureaucracy and red tape rather than reducing it in the hopes that they can prevent them from staying/returning.

There are several qualities of conservative that are quite palatable to folks across all spectrum's of politics, but saying that this administration is towing your aforementioned policy line is a mischaracterization vis-a-vis immigration.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I know rules are rules. But may be she could challenge in courts?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Even if the process for citizenship becomes filling out a postcard and submitting $5, there would still need to be a cap on how many new citizens can be brought in for any given year. If 500 million people in the world want to migrate to the USA, there will be a long waiting line.

This is driven by economics. There must be jobs available for immigrants before they arrive. The alternative is that they come here and collect welfare. In both cases, there will be a limit to what the USA can offer each year without tanking the whole system.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

If people want to stay in this country, why aren't they at least TRYING to go through the steps to become a citizen? Why are they always thinking they're just going to get away staying here for extended periods of time and using NONE of that time trying to become a citizen and then complaining about it when you're going to be deported?

The same thing goes for dreamers. They've been here how many years and how many of them has applied for citizenship?

...and we're just supposed to give them a free pass...

How do you know there not trying to become citizens?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
How about we find jobs and housing for Americans and kick all the foreigners back to their home country?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
How about we find jobs and housing for Americans and kick all the foreigners back to their home country?

Lol.. you silly mo mo.. all Americans are illegals..

new topics

top topics

join