It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need thoughts on 'copywright' issue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Forgive my ignorance and even unsure if 'copywright' is the word I'm looking for but....

Concerning greeting cards, like happy Easter or congratulations on birth...

Say no one ever thought of Christmas cards or birthday cards and a light bulb goes off in my head one day and HEY! No ones thought to make a graduation card or like above birthday card....!

Could I copywright the idea of say 'get well soon' greeting cards where no one else could produce or sell get well soon cards without my permissions?

Didn't know where to start or ask so ATS seemed like a good place to begin. Thank you for your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: tayton

Copyright's are for the content, not the concept. That would be a patent.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Okay, that's a start! Could I patent Christmas cards if There were none before mine?

edit on 13-9-2017 by tayton because: Can't spell today

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Doubtful, the concept has been in the public domain for nearly 200 years.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Just say I had a new concept...is it possible?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Without knowing the specifics you would need to demonstrate to the patent office that your idea has a certain uniqueness that is worthy of being protected. This could take up to 2 years to assess.

If your idea is along the lines of some sort of adder for Xmas cards, for example musical ones, then you most likely wont get it if it has already in the public domain for some time. Even if you do get it you can only enforce it via lawsuit if it's violated so you would need the resources to go after offenders.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

All a patent does is gives you some legal leverage for a lawsuit. It's a complicated legal mess.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton

Just say I had a new concept...is it possible?

Intellectual property has many gray areas but if you think you came up with an original idea pursue it before it gets stolen.
Voice of experience here....

www.wipo.int...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm patenting my "Go nick off" cards and copyrighting the "Yeah I mean you" wording.

I'll be filthy rich.

Love cards are always the best...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Probably not, as patents are generally for a process, not an idea.

There is such thing as "intellectual property," that protects ideas from being stolen and capitalized on from an individual, but even then, you seem to be walking on super-thin ice.

These types of cards are basically a lazy man's letter writing, and the concept and function of letter writing has existed for thousands of years. I think that if you tried to patent/copyright/whatever such an idea, it would not be granted, as it's too universal an idea.

That's like me trying to patent the idea of buying a lady a drink at a bar, or patent the concept of giving flowers at a funeral.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Without knowing the specifics you would need to demonstrate to the patent office that your idea has a certain uniqueness ...

Therein lies the problem, as there's nothing unique about communicating via printed word.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Therein lies the problem, as there's nothing unique about communicating via printed word.

Yeah, I don't see how customizing an Xmas card in any way would get you patent protection.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Yeah, I don't see how customizing an Xmas card in any way would get you patent protection.

How about an edible Xmas card....made with xmas cheer, iykwim....Colorado paper with printed w/ ole St. Nick smilin.

oops said to much....

anyway my Iprop. files are already in the pipeline and the SBA notified, LLC in place.

thinkin....always thinkin....

edit on 13-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Someone beat you to it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Someone beat you to it.

Not with my ingredients....available only in green states. I did my research!!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Too late.

Sorry, man.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Too late.

Sorry, man.

His are just baggies filled with MJ, Mine are actually edible paper or to be used in other ways and printed with all kinds of clever messages and holiday greeting....I did my research!!

The Durango boys are all over it....The stoner culture isn't what you think it is....

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Rock on then man, make it happen.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
so, if no one made a greeting card for happy birthday and I began, it wouldn't be worth trying to lock it down?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If no one made a greeting card, period, you might have a chance. You don't get patent enforcement for adding holidays to an already accepted form of communication.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join