It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Tsunami Threat To The U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Contrary to popular believe, geologic evidence shows that the U.S. has been struck several times by giant tsunami waves in the last 3,500 years. Some experts say that it is not a matter of if, but a matter of when one will hit again the coast of the U.S. The giant waves which have hit the U.S. in the past have affected Washington, Oregon and northern California according to the article.

hosted.ap.org
"We're not trying to scare you, we're just trying to inform you," Kevin Krajicik said Tuesday, opening a Smithsonian Institution-sponsored panel discussion of U.S. vulnerability to tsunami. Krajicik wrote an article on tsunami scheduled for the March issue of Smithsonian magazine.

While one-fourth of the world's tsunami occur in the Pacific Ocean, Maul noted that they can occur on any coast.

For example, on the American side of the Atlantic Ocean, more than 2,500 people have been killed in the last 150 years by these waves striking the Virgin Islands, Panama, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and even Canada, Maul added. The most recent, in 1991, killed two people in Costa Rica.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article continues saying that sedimentary evidence shows that one such giant wave has hit the coast of the U.S. every 500 years. According to Joanne Bourgeois, a geologist at the University of Washington, this sedimentary evidence also shows that the state of Washington has been hit by severe tsunamies 6 or 7 times in the past 3,500 years.

Related News Links:
9ne ws.com
ucsdnews.ucsd.edu
]tokyo.usembassy.gov

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I keep wondering if there is any tsunami warning system in place to alert people on the US east coast. Just imagine that it's a sunny clear day on the July 4th week and suddenly for whatever reason there is a 30 ft tsunami going to hit the entire US east coast within a few hours. I do not know of any warning system for the East coast but I may be wrong. I just know millions of us would feel pretty stupid to be running away from a wave we could have walked away from if we only had a warning.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This issue of the east coast and Carribbean area not having sufficient warning system just keeps coming up. It's like a strobe flashing in our eyes. I hope some one snaps out of the stupor it causes and starts doing something to prevent a similar loss of life as has been seen in the Indian Ocean area.

new topics

join