It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there repercussions for trying to remove history?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe those that are so fervent in eliminating history actually want it repeated?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe those that are so fervent in eliminating history actually want it repeated?

For the most part, these acts of "removal" have been done by local governments. Are you suggesting that small towns and counties want to ... what ... refight the Civil War? Reestablish slavery?

Your question doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

No.

It's hyperbole to claim the history is being erased.

It isn't, it's still in books, on the Internet, spread by word and held in the brains of historians.

It's a shame a few name changes can bring so much offence, the history still exists though... I'd also say that it's a shame names bring so much offence.

That being said though, some of the outrage is justified, it's not been long since segregation was abolished. It's worth considering when you think about education and realisation for some that many of the names and places allude to a time and place where you were not even considered equal or worse sub-human.

63 years give or take, that's how long non-whites have had realistically to address this issue. The white man has had longer.

Again the history is kept. So to say history is being erased is by definition hyperbole.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I won't have any street names left in my city.
Early, Breckinridge, Cutshaw, Rodes, Pegram etc.
If you don't recognize any of those last names you get a D on American history from me.
This whole tear it down it offends someone thing has gone way too far already.
We have already indulged this urge like trying to silence a kid in a candy store who, after being told no once only screams louder.
They will never be satisfied so we may as well get used to their tantrums.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm beginning to think that there are people out there who do not want to be reminded of the lessons that history has taught us.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I'm beginning to think that there are people out there who do not want to be reminded of the lessons that history has taught us.

I'm sure there are ... but back to your question and my question about your question ... these statues, flags, etc. are being removed by State and local governments. Are you saying that State and local governments, by these actions, want to REPEAT history?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

They don't it hurts their feelings. And feelings are more important today than anything else, including knowledge. You know what they say, "Ignorance is bliss!"

So keep them ignorant so they can always be happy.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I'm sure there are ... but back to your question and my question about your question ... these statues, flags, etc. are being removed by State and local governments. Are you saying that State and local governments, by these actions, want to REPEAT history?

Yes.

I don't hold to the thought that government (or the people in it or who support it) are in any way altruistic.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Yes.

I don't hold to the thought that government (or the people in it or who support it) are in any way altruistic.

And neither do I, nor have I said anything like that...

At the State and local level, however, the argument of so many has been for so long that these groups represent the Will of the People ... as opposed of course to the Federal government.

Yet, when these levels of government take actions that some don't like, that goes out the window, eh?

Seems like it's all a matter of what you like and don't like, rather than concerns about government intent or the repercussions of their actions.

/shrug

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's less about education and more about programming mindsets.

Give them basic education, teach them to listen and not ask questions, then give them watered down subjects.

It's not too different here. I learnt pretty much everything they were going to teach me in my first year of secondary school. I dropped out after 2 1/2 years to the dismay of everyone around me... My parents were almost among the first to be fined for my "lack of education" ha!

Ironically I was invited back after nearly 2 years of absence, to do my GCSE's, I passed, went to college and personally worked on the "qualifications" all my peers took 5 years to get. I was equally qualified within 6-8 months.

Point being, the education system is a bit of a fail and for some (me) a huge waste of time. The only thing I achieved in my mandatory education was "off the job", I made decent pocket money off a few paper rounds. My punctuality was decent for the rounds... I hated school, too slow of a learning curve and in my proud mind of the time, most of it was utterly useless.

I've learned much since then and little of it has came from institutions. I'm a big supporter of vocational education from the age of 13.

Let's stop wasting the time of kids, especially when their minds are most malleable and capable of learning.

Anyways a little off topic, apologies OP.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Here's my opinion. Flame away. Mexicans came here, illegally, began forming communities, the communities got bigger and protected their own, became voting blocks and paved the way for more to come. IE. Sanctuary cities and whatnot. Hoping to outnumber the whites at some point and take over by attrition. It's a factual plan. If the blacks can do the same thing with these removals and gain the upper hand in the voting base, they can vote themselves reperations and basically loot and sack the United States.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I don't agree with the decision to cancel the event, but canceling an event isn't "removing history". You can still learn about this guy from other sources.

How often have you looked up this guy from his historical events? If his name wasn't mentioned again, would anyone "look him up"?

What does that have to do with anything? There are many many many many awesome people who lived in the past that I could learn about right now in historical documents, but that doesn't mean I have to or need to for them to be preserved in the historical record.

If you want people to have more exposure to this guy, how about having him be taught in history classes? You know, the medium designed to teach the actual subject instead of just honoring it?
edit on 12-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

White America!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
As a Brit I was jesting about the white house although slaves were used to build it. This has been going on for thousands of years, rewriting History. There is always a hidden agenda behind it and if we wipe it out. Then of course we shall forget and it could happen again. I doubt if its the case with slavery,ie- the black white thing happening again. Although when you think about it, we are all slaves to the corporations and other big business interests. Personally I think its a crazy idea.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I don't agree with the decision to cancel the event, but canceling an event isn't "removing history". You can still learn about this guy from other sources.

How often have you looked up this guy from his historical events? If his name wasn't mentioned again, would anyone "look him up"?

What does that have to do with anything? There are many many many many awesome people who lived in the past that I could learn about right now in historical documents, but that doesn't mean I have to or need to for them to be preserved in the historical record.

If you want people to have more exposure to this guy, how about having him be taught in history classes? You know, the medium designed to teach the actual subject instead of just honoring it?

It's kind of a simple concept. Kids in school have a "mascot" for an event. because of that "mascot", the kids ask, "Who was Lafayette?" and thus you have education. If that mascot never happened, what would spur those same children to ask that same question? If the name "Lafayette" was never mentioned around them, would they ever bother to "look him up"?

This goes along with the statues out in the open, but they are dangerous as they attack folks.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Thing is that you may be offended by all of this but the likes of you or me or anyone on ATS don't matter. We don't own the PC narrative so all we can do is accept whatever changes are forced upon us. The people who do matter, who do own the narrative, the leftist educrats, politicans and special interest grouups, will decide these issues and they see the history of white people in the US as a history of oppresion, theft, killing and discriminaton.

And because of the sordid, violent, hateful history of the whites in the US, the non-whites and their leftst useful idiots always and forever occupy the moral high ground. So all this talk about your being offended is utterly useless except to make the leftists smile inside that they got to you. As far as they are concerned, you have no place at the table where the decisions are made. Your proper place, as they see it, is at the back of the bus!
edit on 12-9-2017 by TonyS because: sp

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You are preaching to the choir. I already said I don't agree with the decision. I just don't see what was done as removing history. I also see teaching about him in history class as a better tool for kids to learn about him.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Yes.

And neither do I, nor have I said anything like that...

At the State and local level, however, the argument of so many has been for so long that these groups represent the Will of the People ... as opposed of course to the Federal government.

Yet, when these levels of government take actions that some don't like, that goes out the window, eh?

Seems like it's all a matter of what you like and don't like, rather than concerns about government intent or the repercussions of their actions.

/shrug

I'm just making observations.

Your observations differ.

*shrug*

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Local school districts do weird things. Still, such things are their choice.

The People elect the Board, the Board makes decisions.

If the People don't like those decisions, they elect someone else to represent them.

We call it a democratic republic.

The result is, in general, rural voters tend to the traditional and urban voters to the PC. The split widens..

The future looks a tad bleak.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
in europe you go to jail for questioning the events of w2.
like if i said, 'ovens, really?' 'skin lamps, really?'
you can go to jail for that.

because 'they' made it illegal to question w2, i am forced TO question w2 because im a freethinker, thank moses i live in the usa.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join