It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the problem that we are forgetting half the heros???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is just me spit balling.. not a deep seeded dogma of mine..

Also for easy writing I will refer to white and black like they are not fake concepts..even though they are fake concepts.. lol

(In a nutshell if you don't feel like reading my rambling to set the stage.

" should the focus of civil rights type issues have been put solely on the minority figureheads??? Did selling the narrative as if it was black vs white, rather than as addressed by a coalition vs the establishment hurt more than it helped???"

)

But I wonder if part of the reason for the push back against civil rights type issues in the modern era . Is because white heros are of civil rights have been forgotten..

They have created a narrative where the whites were the bad guys and whatever oppressed people valiantly won civil rights by them selves..

The whites are always considered the villians and whatever oppressed culture are the protagonists..

Which isn't really true....

SOME whites were the most disgusting human beings imaginable and SOME whites have championed every single civil rights issue in American history..

EVERY SINGLE CASE of progress along the lines of civil rights in American history had ATLEAST as many white/male champions as women and those of color..

I don't even think it would be possible for an oppressed people to win against a United empire that was oppressing them.. no matter the race, creed or color of those oppressed.

If all whites were united against abolition or intergration, we never abolish slavery or intergrate society..

If all men were against women's sufferage, women are still property to this day..

It takes a coalition to fix things.. some of those in power and those being oppressed comming together to make changes to the social order.. ..

I completely understand the logic behind wanting an oppressed face to lead your movement, and to stop all the " it took a white man to save the day" type garbage from circulating.

But I kinda wonder if instead of the narrative being that civil rights was between black and white. What if instead the narrative was that civil rights was between SEGREGATIONISTS AND INTERGRATIONISTS???

Or hell what about between racists and people who wanted equality???

I just kinda wonder if we haven't robbed little white kids of white civil rights heros...

I wonder if in doing that, we have taken away the sone of the ability for them to identify with that team..

So instead they consider themselves inherently the robbers in a game of cops and robbers..

When that's not even really the case in the first place..

I hope I have adequately portrayed my thoughts..
edit on 11-9-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

And the Democrats let one of these heroes get stolen from them...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Awesome post! I think you are absolutely right! There are many unsung heroes in any fight for equality. To paint a certain group of people with a broad brush is criminal.

There are GOOD people of every gender, race, color and religion who want to do the right, moral thing.
There are BAD people of every gender, race, color and religion who want to keep the status quo of oppression.

Take our skin off, and with a few minor differences, we're all pretty much the same skeletons

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lolliek
Take our skin off, and with a few minor differences, we're all pretty much the same skeletons

But we'd scream a bit different.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
That was brilliantly put.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Rosa Parks.

I'll just mention her.

She precipitated a movement. Were there others who came forward later?

Sure.

But she was a leader.

There are a long list of "firsts". Many were killed almost immediately by angry white people. Many died later.

I guess, for me personally, the glaring most obvious thing is that no politicians were "first". They, like so many, were just followers themselves. They followed because they realized how right civil rights were, or they followed for their own reasons.

But there were very few 'firsts". I think it's because true leaders are rare.

Dr. Martin Luther king was a "first". again, a rare and true leader.

I could go on all night naming "firsts', but I think history should show how courageous the "firsts" were.

Just my own opinion.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Without a great deal of support from the majority White population civil rights for Blacks would not have happened.
The atmosphere now is as if Blacks did it solely by themselves while fighting all of White America at the same time.
We have this all-or-nothing ideal going on in politics and it's being injected into the historical narrative.
Can't recognize the races helping each other out.
We get to keep Lincoln and John Brown though.
Eta: William Lloyd Garrison too but didn't think of him until an hour after posting.
edit on 12-9-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Ross Parks, yes, but what about the others there?? Like the guy that said "hey, you get to the back of the bus lady". Never would have happened without him!
(Don't know if this embeds, but please watch! 30s secs)

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Well I'm not sure that the offenders were heros just for participating lol..

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Like who?

Who are the White supporters of Civil Rights that have been ignored or forgotten?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Like who?

Who are the White supporters of Civil Rights that have been ignored or forgotten?

gee, i dont know, perhaps at least johnson who signed it into law?
bills dont write and sign themselves, do they?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Bravo!!! Very well said and very much needs to be said again and again.

I would only add that they have been forgotten because they have been deliberately ignored because Black and White folks getting along and working together for the common -- greater! -- good because... well... divide-and-conquer.

The abolitionist societies operating prior to the Civil War were by far predominantly White. The homes hiding slaves in their journey north along the Underground Railroad were by far White-owned. About half of the Freedom Riders in the early '60s were White.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Like who?

gee, i dont know, perhaps at least johnson who signed it into law?
bills dont write and sign themselves, do they?

Wasn't talking to you, but, gee, thanks.

Lyndon Johnson. That's one.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

yeah forget about all those who put the bill on johnsons desk as well....one indeed

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

yeah forget about all those who put the bill on johnsons desk as well....one indeed

List them out, bud.

That's the point of the thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

no actually the fact that you require that is the point of the thread.......

as i said bill do not write themselves or pass themselves

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

no actually the fact that you require that is the point of the thread.......

as i said bill do not write themselves or pass themselves

So, you have nothing, as usual.

I was talking to the OP. Obviously, they have some important figures in mind. I was not talking to you although I tried to offer you the courtesy of a response.

I'm going to return to that as you are just desperately trolling and seem to only wish to derail OP's discussion.

Buh-bye.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Like who?

Can you name any of the freedom riders off the top of your head?
I can't, I very much doubt any but a few here can.
Yet Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin are names easily recalled and they weren't even trying to achieve civil rights.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

from the op

So instead they consider themselves inherently the robbers in a game of cops and robbers.. When that's not even really the case in the first place..

the op is speaking about you

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I can't, but I know who they were and the importance of what they did.

Can you name any of the Little Rock Nine, off the top of yours?

(Really, there's no need to trash the names of victims like Martin and Brown to make your point.)

As my entry in the thread, I'd like to suggest Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois.

Senator Everett Dirksen

Everett McKinley Dirksen (January 4, 1896 – September 7, 1969) was an American politician of the Republican Party. He represented Illinois in the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate. As Senate Minority Leader from 1959 to 1969, he played a highly visible and key role in the politics of the 1960s. He helped write and pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Civil Rights Act of 1968, both landmark pieces of legislation during the Civil Rights Movement.

edit on 12-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

top topics

<<   2 >>

join