It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation Z skips University in order to start their own business

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Probably because Generation Z will be the generation whose lives will be severely impacted when the economy finally collapse.

Just like the people who are forced to rebuild after shtf in the World War Z novel, Generation Z will be forced to rebuild society after their disaster.

edit on 9/12/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Gothmog

Probably because Generation Z will be the generation whose lives will be severely impacted when the economy finally collapse.

Just like the people who are forced to rebuild after shtf in the World War Z novel, Generation Z will be forced to rebuild society after their disaster.

Thats a good answer. Watched the movie and read the book. Also , used to frequent the website where it all started.
How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Got the official survival book ,too

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Didn't Bill Gates start his own business?

Did Steve Jobs have a college degree?
edit on 9/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

While debt is a big factor, I believe other factors include the rise of the SJW movement and Radical Leftists dominating Academia

How is that possible when Republicans solidly control the vast majority of State and local institutions around the country? You're telling me that the colleges, universities, community colleges, and technical institutes in conservative controlled States, counties, and cities are actually dominated by left wingers? Really?

If anything, the new digital economy allows easy access to markets all over the world. So college degrees aren't nearly as important when you're trying to make money from a monetized blog or vlog, from writing apps, from selling instrumentals or online music, from webcaming, from live streaming video games, from a youtube channel, etc. These fields simply don't require a college education to make money.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And don't forget Michael Dell, Mark Zuckerberg, and Richard Branson.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

My prediction: I'm afraid generation Z is seriously going to get their asses kicked if going this direction. They will be staying at their parent's house longer than generation X and will live even more on anti-depressants.

They might think it's a better or easier way, but the truth is business venture is hard. There is just enough room for successful businesses just as there are enough good or decent-paid jobs.

It doesn't matter if it's the traditional path or through business, making it in today's corporate globalized world takes either a lot of skills, a lot of patience, a lot of creativity, or a lot of money. And most people don't have even one of these four.

Until the system changes, we are all generation Screwed. Automation and globalization just killing it in every sector, making a few people rich and a lot of people fighting for the crumbles.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
So how will this tie in with the robot revolution? A society of people without formal education, robots doing more than half the jobs?

Sometimes it tears me up to think with guidance, many lives all over the world might be improved through online learning as well as phasing in robotics and provide free clothing, food even homes. But reality is more like young people with massive debts or no diploma, people losing jobs to robots, where is this heading to?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: rickymouse

Sadly trades is not an option in places like California.

Most high paying jobs here are IT and movie industry and those jobs are very hard to get to.

For other jobs, you need a degree and plus you have to know people.

This is one of the many reasons why a lot of people want to move out California.

Also, in California cities like LA, in order to live there either you have to get a high paying job, live with a room mate or live with your parents.

I have plans to move out of state. Any suggestions on what state I should move to?

I did not need degree in any work position I ever had, but I'm really thankful to my father because he kicked me to university. My worldview expanded. I'm tech guy but I studied philosophy and it was big big plus in my life ... It is also free of tuition in my country ...

There is big but ... I was lucky to choose really good school, nothing was for free there in respect of study results, it was school, not money making machine ...

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The question is: What is purpose of higher education? In USA, UK and other highly "capitalistic" societies it is revenue generated by "schools" ... In fact purpose of university is to broaden worldview of all attending.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Why not, when this young generation can easily go into 100 thousand dollars in debt for a college education. With no promise of a career upon graduation, they might as well take out a business loan for that amount of money and pursue a dream of many who want to own their own business!

I bet parents have been saying that to their college graduates across the country!

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

With no promise of a career upon graduation, they might as well take out a business loan for that amount of money and pursue a dream of many who want to own their own business!

I agree here, except that unless your dream business happens to cater to an empty niche that you can exploit generously, the best you could expect is enough income to just make it by.

Plus you have to expect a lot of failures but be able to learn from them and then get back up only to potentially get beat down again. Also, you'll have to recognize a success and be able to foresee a life cycle to predict when to change to a better model or to another niche altogether.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

OOOOOOR these kids watching their older brothers and sisters being straddled with unpayable debt don't want to follow in their footsteps, but sure let's go with the petty old man politics explanation that I'm sure TOTALLY bothers teenagers.

Also, generation Z? Are we still continuing with that ridiculous naming convention? Generation X was named as such because they were slurring the word extreme not because they were the Xth generation since we started keeping track.
edit on 12-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I got my BA from Ohio State. When I eventually found out it didn't lead to licensure I contacted the school. Come to find out their degree doesn't actually lead to anything. The school's solution was to get another degree from them. Seriously. This, after their guidance had me following a degree plan with courses not offered on their main campus. So, I was a year and a half in before I realized the courses I needed to take were only offered 90 minutes away (if I'd had a car), and had to switch my focus.... costing me about 6 months. Universities are giant rip off.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

This is very good to hear.

People are very glum about the future due to automation. I've continued to assert that humanity will never lay back and allow our machines to "keep" us. That isn't how we work psychologically. People who don't have enough to do tend to unravel (a big reason I am against long term social benefits without an exchange of labor).

The only way into the future is through innovation. No one will save us. We have to save ourselves, or watch it unravel. And the only way to do this is continue creating and growing new markets. Preferrably extraterrestrial markets before too much longer, as there is a resource bottleneck looming on the horizon.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Don't you mean those generation Z who are lucky enough to have parents that will bankroll them till they're successful, if they're successful. BUUUUT, for every Bill Gates there's 10,000 no marks behind him.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

As somebody married to a research professor I can tell you the rise of the sjw movement isn't a thing. Radical teachers have taught in academia since the beginning when Jesuit teachers would teach science. Back in the day that was radical liberal agenda.

In the 60's there were protests all over campuses, 70'so same, 80's, 90's etc.

The difference is 24 hour news has cemented people into ideological roles they follow like a script. The miniscule true believers on the sides of the parties appear like the total of the population when they are tiny fractions.

College kids getting wasted and the prefrontal cortex issues in the brain are not new. Neither are radical liberal ideas and the youth.

Universities are out of control with pricing but the complainers are the problem as well as government loans. All the parents want cutting edge brand new facilities from student health centers to massive recreational areas etc. Then complain about the cost and for being hit up as donors.

The people complaining are often the problem. The ones carting the load are often to busy to talk.
edit on 12-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's true. People keep saying why go to mars?...uh because we have to. Then the belt, other moons etc. Not only will it help the species survive it would create entire new industries and through circumstance new efficiency artifacts for the planet here.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think creative, independent or collaborative output is the way of the future.

Great post starwars!
edit on 12-9-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I did a five year university course (3rd year was an industrial placement). At high-school, I'd actually stayed on to do SYS subjects Physics/Mathematics (because I was under 17) and couldn't move straight into university that year. Those were the equivalent of first year university, and if I had gone to the right universities, I could have skipped first year and just entered in second year. But instead, I did a Computer Science degree. Good points, i learned all about computer theory, hardware, software engineering at the time (Pascal, Ada, Prolog, Fortran, C, 80x86, 680x0). Back then innovation in hardware was a slow pace; 1986 had the first IBM PC clones. By the 1990's, we had 60 MHz PC's.

Now, most of all that isn't really relevant now - everyone is programming in C++, Java, JavaScript, ARM, big data languages like R. Even Windows/MFC isn't much in demand, but Unity/Unreal are.

Now every vendor in the industry is so hell-bent on maintaining mindshare that they use a programming language for a couple of years, then toss it and everything else away and reinvent something else. Even C++ keeps changing with new standards like C++11, C++14, C++17, C++.

The rate of change is so fast, that university courses are so expensive and can't keep up if they wish to maintain a practical selection of courses.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
Syntax of programming language can be mastered by clever monkey. Algorithmization is the key ...

<< 1    3  4 >>

join