It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans get stuffed by Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Now in the White House, President Trump demonstrated this past week that he still imagines himself a solitary cowboy as he abandoned Republican congressional leaders to forge a short-term fiscal deal with Democrats. Although elected as a Republican last year, Mr. Trump has shown in the nearly eight months in office that he is, in many ways, the first independent to hold the presidency since the advent of the current two-party system around the time of the Civil War.

www.nytimes.com...

Being a republican, I have been a bit disgusted by the way the entire system has been acting. It's almost like an entire arena filled with "never Trumpers" and one single orange guy trying to be heard. Trump is president, and like it or not, it's just that way. The country needs to operate and things still need to happen. Even if you are unhappy about who won in 2016. Regardless of my feelings for Trump, he is the president and MUST be able to run the country. We have a system of checks and balances in place so that nobody can turn into a dictator, so that part is safe.

But with the Republicans blocking or stalling everything Trump tries to do, it's no wonder he decided to work with the left. They will work with him just to spite the right. And my hope is that those on the right will realize what idiotic children they have been behaving like, and decide that if they were to try just a little, they could make some amazing things happen with the control they have. But they have to play nice, or it's another "time out". (in the old days, it would have been a whipping with a switch, but I digress)

I don't agree with the left ideals on most things, but in the interest of seeing the government at least do SOMETHING, I am happy about this at the moment. If for no other reason than it will force the right to look at themselves and how they have acting.

And if you believe in polls, Trump's numbers are approaching 48%. Imagine the outrage if he actually becomes a decent leader.
edit on 11-9-2017 by network dude because: bad spler

+33 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm going to give credit where due and congratulate Trump on crossing the aisle. That's how compromise starts, and that is something this government desperately needs again.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I'm not sure this country could handle a government that makes decisions based on the best interests of the country.
Every politician needs to get their own agendas pushed forward.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I agree with that.
Hopefully the left will reciprocate the gesture.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Now in the White House, President Trump demonstrated this past week that he still imagines himself a solitary cowboy as he abandoned Republican congressional leaders to forge a short-term fiscal deal with Democrats. Although elected as a Republican last year, Mr. Trump has shown in the nearly eight months in office that he is, in many ways, the first independent to hold the presidency since the advent of the current two-party system around the time of the Civil War.

www.nytimes.com...

Being a republican, I have been a bit disgusted by the way the entire system has been acting. It's almost like an entire arena filled with "never Trumpers" and one single orange guy trying to be heard. Trump is president, and like it or not, it's just that way.

Funny, I thought all the president was only capable of doing was signing or vetoing bills. I guess the Republican Constitution is different than the one I read about.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

the first independent to hold the presidency since the advent of the current two-party system around the time of the Civil War.

This will end up being a very good thing for us in the long run.

but in the interest of seeing the government at least do SOMETHING

The only thing I want to see my government do is fix our infrastructure and make good on the contracts it has with the american people.

edit on 11-9-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

www.nytimes.com...

Being a republican, I have been a bit disgusted by the way the entire system has been acting. It's almost like an entire arena filled with "never Trumpers" and one single orange guy trying to be heard. Trump is president, and like it or not, it's just that way.

Funny, I thought all the president was only capable of doing was signing or vetoing bills. I guess the Republican Constitution is different than the one I read about.

the same one I offered to defend with my life if necessary. The president is supposed to LEAD. I hope he is able to do that. You are free to continue the hate.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Remember though, Democrats aren't a party of the left. They're a party of the center-right.

Which, to be honest, the politics of the center-right would probably serve and suit the American people a lot better.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
While I trust Pelosi and Schumer as far as I could throw a planet, I agree.. Ryan and mcconnel want to try and show they are the boss piss on em do the deal and put them on notice.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
republicans are voting with trump 94% of the time while democrats voting against higher than normal, meaning it's actually rather a non story other than why are the media are trying to portray a split in the republican party, which there isn't or, that he is pushing democrat ideas left, right and center which again he isn't.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: growler
republicans are voting with trump 94% of the time while democrats voting against higher than normal, meaning it's actually rather a non story other than why are the media are trying to portray a split in the republican party, which there isn't or, that he is pushing democrat ideas left, right and center which again he isn't.

Because the Republican led Congress hasn't been able to make good on any of Trump's most significant campaign promises. They cannot agree within their own ranks on healthcare, and the wall seems to be a non-starter. Also, although everyone in washington talks like Tax Reform is going to get done, most analysts say it's dead in the water.

While many are quick to blame Congress for this, Trump has been a significant part of the problem. He does not advocate policy at a granular enough level of detail for anyone to know what he wants specifically, and his constant twitter distractions prevent Congress from being able to spend time garnering support from their constituents.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Representatives are elected to NEGOTIATE and draft legislation for the benefit of all Americans. Party loyalty or strong arm tactics shouldn't come into play when making decisions and deciding on legislation that will be accepted and be of benefit for the majority of Americans. All we get from our current representatives is finger pointing and legislative proposals that only benefit the minority and corporate interests. Is it any wonder why congress' approval rating is at a paltry 16%?

Negotiating means not getting everything you want. There's a middle ground where these representatives should meet.

The way our current political system is set up, as long as we have...

-Political Parties

-Lobbyists

-Money in politics - Corporate Donations and Influences

-No Term Limits - No Career Politicians

-Representative salaries that reflect the average American worker

-Representative benefits that reflect the average American worker

-A level playing field among unknown and political incumbents

-Major legislation that affects all Americans, like healthcare, be placed on the ballot for every American to decide, not just the minority in congress

Nothing will ever change.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

While those who are in the 16% might have a low approval rating, they are all getting EVERYTHING they want.
And until term limits are enacted, that will continue. They spend gobs of money to make sure they are re-elected, then make more gobs of money, and all they had to do is smile and tell us whatever we wanted to hear at the time.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Being a republican, I have been a bit disgusted by the way the entire system has been acting. It's almost like an entire arena filled with "never Trumpers" and one single orange guy trying to be heard.

They didn't work so well with Obama either, conversely they had no problem with good ol' G.W. when only seven of them said no to G.W.'s false war against Iraq in the vote. Bloody good war eh?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Bloody good war eh?

Aren't they all?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

That's because at heart he's a CEO of a Corporation and understands how to make things work - not stonewall &/or sell-out. like career politicians. Clearly he has no political allies - his support base is his family, those who voted for him and a few close friends - he can't be bought, he's not drawing a wage for holding the POTUS position - he's a game-changer and we should expect the unexpected.

This is why you voted for him and not ol' dodgy.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

New Rule: Get rid of the whole stinking bunch... regardless of (R) (D) (I) doesn't matter each and every one should have their hands slapped and I mention 'hands' because usually they are both extended out to grab $$$ and favors..

How someone could go to D.C. on a mission 'to serve the people' and come back to their district/home town way, way, way richer than when they started and then enjoy a fantastic medical package along w/a stipend until death...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

amen brother.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Trump is doing exactly as I predicted and expected, falling in line with the neocon Oligarchy MIC.

Look at the people in the oval office advising Trump. Bankers and Military...look familiar?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The Common Sense "Party" are the ones that elected Donald Trump. They are the Americans that hang out in the middle but slightly closer to the right, but aren't afraid to buck the old guards (like John McCain) to get the job done!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join