It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, the KKK has never ever been a leftist organization. Stop this lie.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Very well laid out..

The one thing you might could add that I think truely illustrates the point is an electoral map of the presidential elections before and after civil rights.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: IlluminatiTechnician

In rough order of your "presentation" ...

You have zero evidence that Robert Byrd was a KKK member after the late 1940s.

Back up my claim? Read your own insipid posts.

My goodness, your Wiki article states what I've stated multiple times in the thread ... the matter is a regional one; prior to 1970 most Southerners were Democrats, after that date, most Southerners are Republican.

Southerners created the Confederacy, Southerners started the first KKK, Southerners fought for White Supremacy in the 19th century and many still do today.

Read a history book, for goodness sakes ... heck read your own article.

edit on 10-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
Zebras don't change their stripes.

But they do change their stripes, when they die. The stripes rot away.

If you've got beef with dead Democrats then try protesting some statues. Fortunately we're living in the Free World, where not only are people allowed to change their minds, but parties can change and evolve too, and you don't have to suffer punishment for who your ancestors are, whether genetic or just ideological. We aren't living under the code of Hammurabi anymore.

Who's been denying they are a Democrat? (Not me btw, not a Democrat) And for that matter, who's been denying that the KKK where Democrats? What does it matter? Are you really gonna hold a generational grudge for things the Confederacy did more than 150 years ago? Just doesn't seem constructive.

EDIT: Well you where talking about the KKK, not the Confederacy, but my point still stands.

I agree with you in part. It is not constructive to hold a grudge for 150 years. So why cant I watch the Dukes of Hazzard? Because the car had a confederate flag on it. So lets tear down some statues and demand reparations but not hold a grudge...

Post script - the kkk arose from the confederacy, which was the democrat's side in the war.
edit on 10-9-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

The common thread throughout the post was that all these democrats who were kkk and the like were never really leftist or "true" democrats.

The truth of the matter is these people were democrats - period. When they were democrats and were pro kkk it didn't seem like it got much attention. But when they switched to republican all of a sudden it was a big deal.

I like how democrats do all the things they complain about other people doing, then deny that they are really democrats while doing it. Zebras don't change their stripes.

They were also White, Christian and Male. Why aren't you as eager to condemn all White people as racists, or Christians? Or men?

Hmmm... could it be that doesn't serve this stupid narrative?

Ding ding.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Joedog1990

What aren't you buying..

It's a well documented thing...

It doesn't say ANYTHING about all conservatives, but pretending otherwise is dishonest.

All the white suprimists are right wing..

All the eco terrorists are left wing..

There are no rabid eco freak republicans running around putting railroad spikes into trees, to injure loggers....

Just like of course there are no white supremacists who were Bernie or bust lol..

That fact says nothing about everyone else..

What is disgusting is people believing the ridiculous bs about the KKK secretly being democrat Hillary supporters.. no matter how many pro trump hats they are wearing...

That's propaganda for stupid people..

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

What is ridiculous is that so many here WILLINGLY post the most ridiculous lies in support of their narrative.

As above ... line after line of garbage that a 5th grader could unravel.

I can't make my mind up, if it's more stupid or more dishonest. Equally both.

The Democratic Party did not found the Confederacy or the KKK. The same Segregationist Southerners who did joined the Republican party under Nixon along with the Religious Right and the Mega-corporate Goons under Reagan transformed what was once a center right party that cared about Americans and our values into the psychotic jumble we see today ...

Look up above here. Pure insanity. Mindless Youtube videos spouting the most ludicrous clap-trap ... inane, incoherent ramblings ...

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The common thread throughout the post was that all these democrats who were kkk and the like were never really leftist or "true" democrats.

The truth of the matter is these people were democrats - period. When they were democrats and were pro kkk it didn't seem like it got much attention. But when they switched to republican all of a sudden it was a big deal.

I like how democrats do all the things they complain about other people doing, then deny that they are really democrats while doing it. Zebras don't change their stripes.

They were also White, Christian and Male. Why aren't you as eager to condemn all White people as racists, or Christians? Or men?

Ding ding.

That was more of a dingaling...

They were not just white or christian. And to hold an entire gender accountable is about as stupid a narrative (to borrow your terminology) as you could come up with.

It is not the race, the religious beliefs, or the gender that was in question. How far do you want to take that? Were they meat eaters? Were they bi-pedal? Were they mammals?

This is why we can't have a civilized discussion on topics like this.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Ding ding.

They were not just white or christian. And to hold an entire gender accountable is about as stupid a narrative (to borrow your terminology) as you could come up with.

It is not the race, the religious beliefs, or the gender that was in question. How far do you want to take that? Were they meat eaters? Were they bi-pedal? Were they mammals?

Well, there's a dingaling here, certainly, more than one.

Stupid to hold a sex responsible? Or a religion? Or a race? But fine to hold a political party responsible?

If it's impossible to have a civilized discussion about this because it's because so many of you are intentionally tlying. The fact that the people who created the Confederacy were Democrats (until they left the Union) is no more important or vital a part of their makeup than their religion, their race or their gender ... YET you think you're scoring some kind of silly points by continuing to make these asinine claims.

I agree with you that we can't generalize these things to Christians, White men OR Democrats.

If you want to generalize ... talk about Southerners ... who did all the things you keep claiming that "Democrats" did for well-known reasons.

And follow through the most basic logic. Do you have any evidence of a Massachusetts Democrat joining the Confederacy? How about a New York Democrat founding the KKK?

No, what you will find is that SOUTHERNERS created the Confederacy and SOUTHERNERS created the KKK and SOUTHERNERS fought Civil Rights for 100 years and SOUTHERNERS voted against the Civil Rights Acts in the 60s.

If you want some history and some heritage ... there you go, dangling.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Well, I've got to be honest and admit that I do think it's OK to have the flag in Dukes of Hazzard, and I kind of like statues of confederate generals; I don't care about them too strongly, but I get what people are complaining about, I'd be mad too if someone pulled down a statue I did care about on a personal level.

I just don't like this whole argument that today's Democrats are racists because some old-timey Democrats founded the KKK.

EDIT: Haha, not a single star on the whole last page of the thread. I think people's index fingers are getting worn out.
edit on 10-9-2017 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Aside from an agenda, why would someone focus on the fact that the founders of the KKK were Democrat, do you think? Why would they play stupid semantic games and try to suggest that it was the Democratic Party that did these things and not individual people?

Why that characteristic ... and not that they were White, Christian, Male or Southern ... all of which has more to do with the KKK then and now than being a Democrat.

So why do you think they do it?

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

But weren't these guys Democrats? Most of them were yes. It's important however to understand that the Democratic party of the past and the Democratic party of today differs significantly

Not but just a few lines in and you already killed your own thread....
Wonderful

Except for that historical shift is accurate..

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

But weren't these guys Democrats? Most of them were yes.

I think this statement nullifies your argument in the very title of the OP.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Another history lesson:

In 1854, angry with the Kansas–Nebraska Act, anti-slavery Democrats left the party and joined Northern Whigs to form the Republican Party.

So, before the Civil War, those Northern members of the Democratic Party who were against slavery formed a new party with other Northerners ... the Republican Party.

Gee, I wonder who that left as Democrats? Could it be Southerners? The some Southerners who left the Union beginning in the early 1860s?

Who were these Democrats though? What did they believe?

The Democrats represented a wide range of views but shared a fundamental commitment to the Jeffersonian concept of an agrarian society. They viewed the central government as the enemy of individual liberty. The 1824 "corrupt bargain" had strengthened their suspicion of Washington politics. ... Jacksonians feared the concentration of economic and political power. They believed that government intervention in the economy benefited special-interest groups and created corporate monopolies that favored the rich. They sought to restore the independence of the individual—the artisan and the ordinary farmer—by ending federal support of banks and corporations and restricting the use of paper currency, which they distrusted. Their definition of the proper role of government tended to be negative, and Jackson's political power was largely expressed in negative acts. He exercised the veto more than all previous presidents combined. Jackson and his supporters also opposed reform as a movement. Reformers eager to turn their programs into legislation called for a more active government. But Democrats tended to oppose programs like educational reform mid the establishment of a public education system. They believed, for instance, that public schools restricted individual liberty by interfering with parental responsibility and undermined freedom of religion by replacing church schools. Nor did Jackson share reformers' humanitarian concerns. He had no sympathy for American Indians, initiating the removal of the Cherokees along the Trail of Tears

Now ... that was in the early 19th century ... in the early 21st century which party does this sound more like?

Belief that the Federal Government is the enemy of individual liberty?

Belief that government intervention in the economy (through regulations) only benefited "special interest groups"?

Belief that reform (progressive values) was wrong because it required a more "active" government?

Belief that education should be private not public, that public schools threatened parental autonomy and freedom of religion?

Belief that government should not be involved in humanitarian concerns?

WHICH PARTY DOES THAT SOUND LIKE IN 2017???

What happened in 1860?

The Democrats split over the choice of a successor to President James Buchanan along Northern and Southern lines; factions of the party provided two separate candidacies for president in the election of 1860, in which the Republican Party gained ascendancy.

And who was elected in 1860?

This fracturing of the Democrats led to a Republican victory, and Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States.

Source

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I guess it's just a really good red herring, too tempting to pass up. It's technically true, even though it's almost always irrelevant to the discussion. I think some people honestly feel that liberals are being hypocrites when they want statues gone, even though "their party" did this and that, even though they should actually be proud of the party for changing it's ways, if they actually cared about the issue of racism, and not about deflecting arguments. But a few just do it to troll, I'm sure.

Honestly it really bothers me. It's like a scorched earth tactic, there's no constructive way to go on once you make that argument. They are basically saying that democrats are evil per definition, it's just in their souls or something, and there's nothing to be done about it once they become members of the DNC. Of course a lot of people say that openly on this site, so what can you do about it.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Ding ding.

Well, there's a dingaling here, certainly, more than one.

Stupid to hold a sex responsible? Or a religion? Or a race? But fine to hold a political party responsible?

If it's impossible to have a civilized discussion about this because it's because so many of you are intentionally tlying. The fact that the people who created the Confederacy were Democrats (until they left the Union) is no more important or vital a part of their makeup than their religion, their race or their gender ... YET you think you're scoring some kind of silly points by continuing to make these asinine claims.

I agree with you that we can't generalize these things to Christians, White men OR Democrats.

If you want to generalize ... talk about Southerners ... who did all the things you keep claiming that "Democrats" did for well-known reasons.

And follow through the most basic logic. Do you have any evidence of a Massachusetts Democrat joining the Confederacy? How about a New York Democrat founding the KKK?

No, what you will find is that SOUTHERNERS created the Confederacy and SOUTHERNERS created the KKK and SOUTHERNERS fought Civil Rights for 100 years and SOUTHERNERS voted against the Civil Rights Acts in the 60s.

If you want some history and some heritage ... there you go, dangling.

You and I obviously disagree about what is pointless generalizing and what is relevant. I don't see any intentional lying. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them a liar. It doesn't even make them wrong.

To generalize based on all the additional criteria we both cited is indeed pointless. However, I think a political party is different. It is political parties that make the policies that affect us all. Look at the democrats right now. They vote the party line almost to a fault. Very rarely does someone abstain or oppose the party. And when they do there is always a suggestion of re-election fear or having received something in return for that errant vote.

So, yes, I do hold political parties to that standard. Look at Chicago. I hold the democrats responsible for the condition of the city. It is extremely difficult to see it any other way. And it is also extremely difficult to not place some of the blame on the people who continually vote the same criminals and miscreants into office. It is often hard to tell who is who until the story hits the news. Then the rats jump ship and there is no shortage of people claiming it was "the other democrats".

You are trying to draw a very hard line between southerners and democrats but the democrats were the party of the south. I think the geography takes a back seat to the political ideals in this context.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   

So now its to be "but this is my opinion" gambit? Sorry, not buying that.

It's not a matter of disagreement. Your claim is that being A DEMOCRAT is the same as starting the KKK.

This is absurd from the time of Jackson to the present. What is the coded belief of A DEMOCRAT that equates to racial superiority? Nothing, not in 1828, not in 1868 or 1968 or 2017. It's asinine to claim such things.

A political party is a set of standards or positions on issues. Is the belief in White Supremacy a universal characteristic of "the Democratic Party"? No, it isn't.

Democrats "vote the party line"? That's generally true of the Republicans as well, and therefore, isn't a valid comparison.

You hold "Democrats" liable for the condition of Chicago? Well, that's your own issue. I hold the people who commit crimes liable for crimes, not a political party.

There is a very hard line to draw between what "a Democrat" meant over time and the absurd lie that Democrats have always been White Supremacists. You're absolutely right I draw a hard line between the truth and obvious lies.

You think that that "geography" takes a back seat in regard to the creation of the Confederacy? To the creation of the KKK? To support of segregation and opposition to equal Civil Rights?

That's just absurd. Sorry.
edit on 11-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Thanks for your response.

My answer is, we oppose lies at every opportunity. We point out the facts to counter the lies as best we can.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Democratic Platform of 1840

This is 12 years after the "founding" of the Democratic Party (as distinct from the Democratic-Republican party of Jefferson) in 1828. It's 49 years after the Constitution was signed.

This is the first officially stated "party platform" that we have on record in American politics.

Take five minutes and read it. This will tell what "DEMOCRATS" believed at their founding ... if you want to know.

I draw your attention specifically to Item 7:

7. Resolved, That congress has no power, under the constitution, to interfere with or control the domestic institutions of the several states, and that such states are the sole and proper judges of everything appertaining to their own affairs, not prohibited by the constitution; that all efforts by abolitionists or others, made to induce congress to interfere with questions of slavery, or to take incipient steps in relation thereto, are calculated to lead to the most alarming and dangerous consequences, and that all such efforts have an inevitable tendency to diminish the happiness of the people, and endanger the stability and permanency of the union, and ought not to be countenanced by any friend to our political institutions.

This is what we would call today a "Tenth Amendment argument." There is no enshrinement of White Supremacy here.

The argument is simple. There is nothing in the Constitution forbidding slavery, therefore, it is the purview of each State to decide the matter for themselves. It was the same argument used a hundred years later to justify segregation by SOUTHERNERS.

Look at the rest of the platform. You will find it reads a lot like a 21st century statement from the Republicans or even the Libertarian party.

edit on 11-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I can't make my mind up, if it's more stupid or more dishonest. Equally both.

I'm convinced that it's dishonesty. At this point, people should already have access to enough of the facts to be able to make informed decisions. Anyone can go online and read each State's official declaration for why they seceded. Anyone can go online and read the confederate constitution, the kkk's party platforms over time, the party platforms for the various political parties over time, etc. They can read the speeches, read the biographies, look at the propaganda posters & pamphlets, etc etc etc.

And like I've mentioned in previous posts, many Southerners whose family trees have been here since that time period know what this is really about. We've always known what this is about, whether it be the dog whistle phrases or the blatant double standards when applying certain laws.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
a reply to: network dude
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Let's do a refresher shall we? I know it must be difficult reading all these words. I mean the OP, my god, the OP was just so long you know?

What's the title of the thread?

Here, I'll repost: No, the KKK has never ever been a leftist organization. Stop this lie

What do we know about the KKK and their policies? Let's list them again.

The KKK was started by confederate veterans, true:
www.history.com...

The KKK has historically advocated for greater States rights and smaller federal powers, true:
www.famous-trials.com...

David Duke is a conservative, true:
www.splcenter.org...
www.nationalreview.com...

The KKK promotes Christianity, true:
www.readex.com...

The KKK is anti-islam, true:
www.al.com...

oh oh and this gem here. The KKK is anti-communist.... true:

Courtesy of enlightenedservant

What more to say?

They're still Democrats? That's all? This is all you have? It's all laid out rather well in the OP. I can't force you to read the truth.

The KKK is anything but leftist. The truth is right there for all to see.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join