It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek: Discovery Likens Trump Supporters to Racist Klingons

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Gene Roddenberry said "I have no belief that STAR TREK depicts the actual future, it depicts us, now, things we need to understand about that"

www.ibiblio.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Regnor

BUT he got some things about the future right. Interracial coupling. We have phasers, communicators.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm pretty sure interracial couples were around long before Star Trek. As for phasers and communicators. the invention of these were probably inspired by Star Trek.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I feel like leftist SJW snowflakes are more like Tribbles; useless little fuzzballs that do absolutely nothing but whine, reproduce and take up space.

Oh my! Are you triggered? Quick! Grab a tribble and pet it!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ummm...you mean that the obvious racial inference theme of Star Trek...is no longer PC...

Whatever shall we do...?

YouSir

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

In a recent thread from someone about government influences in media, I responded with a post that I've found PC doctrines as the basic backbone of every episode of Star Trek:The Next Generation.

Recently, I've watched almost all of the episodes of the several years of that show and it never deviates from being totally PC between members of the crew and in their challenges with other beings. In the latter situation, the rules of PC are hammered across time and time again to lesser evolved beings.

The "Prime Directive" is mentioned almost constantly (even if most shows involve some manner of weapons blasting from some one).

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

In a recent thread from someone about government influences in media, I responded with a post that I've found PC doctrines as the basic backbone of every episode of Star Trek:The Next Generation.

Recently, I've watched almost all of the episodes of the several years of that show and it never deviates from being totally PC between members of the crew and in their challenges with other beings. In the latter situation, the rules of PC are hammered across time and time again to lesser evolved beings.

The "Prime Directive" is mentioned almost constantly (even if most shows involve some manner of weapons blasting from some one).

That's not entirely true. For example, in an episode I watched recently Crusher was ragging on Riker, La Forge and Worf about their beards basically being "male pride" symbols. They denied this, but she said if it is, there's nothing wrong with that. Leftists heads would explode at a future woman saying it's ok for men to be proud of their maleness. That is an anti-PC statement these days.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Oh I don't care about the OP or what anyone thinks to be honest.

You can approach TV, movies and books in two ways:

1) Break it down to find the "message" that is suppose to be conveyed, assign labels to characters, groups, places, etc, etc, and try to make some sort of real life meaning into it.

OR

2) Simply enjoy the story, be entertained by it, relax and stop trying to force meaning into every single thing that comes out.

I'm a number 2 person. I spend WAY too much of real life having to do number 1. Be damned if I'm going to do number 1 when I simply want something to entertain me and allow me to escape real life.

Especially when I spend part of that free time having to deal with people here (uuuhhhhggggg).

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Exactly. Enjoy what you do without looking for agendas. Personally I don't care much for Nugents politics but that didnt stop me from ordering Great Gonzos 10 minutes ago.
Why would Iet that stop me?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Understood.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

No way. We all know the liberals are inherently the Borg.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's what the Queen wants you to think.
You're a part of the collective.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Beat you to it.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

A merging of the Ivory Tower Intellectuals and **ANTIFA** !!

The Borg Cubes are the Limos !!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

*snip*

That's not entirely true. For example, in an episode I watched recently Crusher was ragging on Riker, La Forge and Worf about their beards basically being "male pride" symbols. They denied this, but she said if it is, there's nothing wrong with that. Leftists heads would explode at a future woman saying it's ok for men to be proud of their maleness. That is an anti-PC statement these days.

I think you're right. The SJW movement at this time supports positive masculinity if it's not gender-specific--or otherwise toxic:
www.pride.com - How to Curb Fragile Masculinity...

Masculinity creates confining — and oppressive — expectations for everyone.

Would it be so terrifying to not have to genderize everything? To not create things specific to masculinity so they are not somehow confused as feminine? How would it feel to not have to hide an important, male friendship behind the term "bromance?" No you’re not wearing a "manbag," you’re wearing a handbag; not because you’re feminine, but because that’s a bag in your hand. You want to give someone of your gender a hug? Wouldn't it be nice to gave them that hug and not have to say the requisite “no homo” as you did it?

Yes, toxic masculinity is a thing:
www.huffingtonpost.com - More Men Should Learn The Difference Between Masculinity and Toxic Masculinity...
www.salon.com - Patriarchy and toxic masculinity are dominating America under Trump...

Below it's seen beards are recent. It's a response to growing feminism, decreasing muscularity and other. Confused men sensed an attack on their masculinity, so the beard became a symbol:
aeon.co - How beards put a brave face on threatened masculinity...
edit on 9/9/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
This should be in the Hoax or LOL bin, sorry. If you read the original story and what the producers actually said it's quite clear Trek is going to do what Trek has always done.

The lengths Brietbart readers go to in order to feel offended. It's bizarre.

It's no wonder why all these people keep on saying that white males (such as myself) are "the most discriminated segment of the population on Earth," actual ATS quote lol guess who from....

Anyway, they make things up and then proceed to get butt hurt about them.... and then go around screaming about how triggered everyone is for laughing at their stupidity lol

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: WorShip

Lol I feel like Trump and his supporters are more like a Ferengi.

Don't mention the Clinton Foundation.

From the Ferengi book of Acquisition: "Treat everyone like family - exploit them for everything that they have got."

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
And now...Its time for a song......

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

You quote four articles and want to claim that all of "some group, somewhere" feels the same way?

Not to mention, cherry-picking the articles you did quote?

Have you ever considered, just for a moment, that there's a difference between "being a man" and "being masculine"?

Frankly, you sound like you're troubled with self-doubts and you want to blame it on "SJWs."

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join