It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek: Discovery Likens Trump Supporters to Racist Klingons

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Not my Star Trek...

No Gene Rodenberry to it, not even close.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And meaningless animated GIFs ... can't ignore those.

Xuench, your OP is utterly misleading. Your source misquotes the actual developers of the show.

Are you going to ask that this be moved to the HOAX Bin or LOL?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Gotta love it when the best rebuttals are ad-homs.

The best rebuttal would be that your source and OP misrepresent what they actually said.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Living in a capitalist society, if you don't want to buy their product ... don't. Vote with your wallet.

Wise Words , I Don't .

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Living in a capitalist society, if you don't want to buy their product ... don't. Vote with your wallet.

Wise Words , I Don't .

You just complain about them providing a product and making profits?

Understood.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

"If they" ----- you do know how to read, correct? I said "If they" as in "If they are out of my product I normally buy, I'll go to another store."

Social issues?

Oh yay...just what I want to watch after spending all day here at ATS and watching y'all go at each other's throats over "social issues".

Star Trek for me was more about exploring, learning, and seeing fantastic situations that the crew had to get out of.

The episodes that I found the most boring? Social issues. Screw that. If I want more of that, I'll come here to ATS and watch it go down.

Watching TV or movies is a form of escape for me to be entertained. If the show or movie is the same crap I see here? CLICK....time to find something else to watch.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

And if you're paying attention you can see who's doing it.

Or is this another fabrication?

edit on 9-9-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Did you watch the Original Series? Or start with the Next Generation?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This should be in the Hoax or LOL bin, sorry. If you read the original story and what the producers actually said it's quite clear Trek is going to do what Trek has always done.

The lengths Brietbart readers go to in order to feel offended. It's bizarre.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
As if Breitbart would report this (or anything) in any trustful way.

My opinion: as usual, the people thinking they are victims feel victimized. Be it the Russians in the 80s, be it Breitbart right now.

Boring bc it is so predictable.

hence they need their supremacist marches with tiki torches, breitbart and the like keeps telling their uneducated masses their being persecuted.

on topic, if there was any truth to this, there isn't by the way, but a show written and in production before the orange one rallied racist activists would be miraculous.

quelle surprise the opening poster gets brownie points from his paymasters for hyping breitbart,

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
klingons wouldnt follow a ferengi.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

TOS aired while I was an infant, how ever I did watch reruns of it in the early 70s.

TNG aired while I was in the USN....it got better with age and as the characters were more fleshed out.

DS9 also aired while I was in the USN: meh...was okay.....something different to watch.

Voyager aired after I was out of the USN - was cool, female captain that pulled no punches, they're lost and stuck on their own, they'll have to deal with it all themselves.

Enterprise - I loved Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap so knew I'd enjoy the show anyways, and it was interesting to see them not be the all powerful Star Fleet from the 24th century, but instead, new comers that were learning their way.

Each show had their episodes I found interesting and entertaining.......and had ones that were not so much to me. All comes down to personal taste.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
What a bunch of whiny-asses who don't get the human parallels aspect of Trek in the first place. It's SUPPOSED to mirror us & our problems because it's a way of exploring them.

The Klingons were the sci-fi counterpart to the Soviet Russians. The Romulans were the counterpart to Communist China.

The Bajorans being the counterpart to the WW2 Jews and the Cardassians being the counterpart to the Nazi Germans is the more commonly ascribed root, but looking at the real life events during TNG & DS9, this is probably supposed to mirror the brutal South American dictatorships at the time (Chile, Argentina) It is widely accepted among Trekkies that they drew from the two eras for these species, too.

The Ferengi were originally supposed to be the counterpart for out of control, unchecked Capitalism (NOT greedy Jews like morons assume) in a much, much darker context, though it didn't work out well & they became more comedic relief with those for undertones.

Much has been speculated about the Vulcans and Betazoids, and many feel that the Vulcans mirror a blend of the Swiss and Japanese, and that the Betazoids are supposed to mirror Canadians (I can actually agree with this one personally, it makes sense)

The Orion Syndicate is supposed to represent the American Italian mafia, and I think they did a good job working it in.

Obviously, the Federation is supposed to mirror the US and the UN.

If you can't handle an established pattern of fiction mirroring real life counterparts, maybe you should just sit down and watch Price Is Right instead.
edit on 9/9/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This Star Trek?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: WorShip

Lol I feel like Trump and his supporters are more like a Ferengi.

Weeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll....

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: growler

My opinion: as usual, the people thinking they are victims feel victimized. Be it the Russians in the 80s, be it Breitbart right now.

hence they need their supremacist marches with tiki torches, breitbart and the like keeps telling their uneducated masses their being persecuted.

on topic, if there was any truth to this, there isn't by the way, but a show written and in production before the orange one rallied racist activists would be miraculous.

quelle surprise the opening poster gets brownie points from his paymasters for hyping breitbart,

Irony: calling people uneducated when you don't know the difference between "their" and "they're".

I'm not normally a grammar Nazi, I make mistakes myself, but if you're gonna insult the intelligence of an entire demographic because you're a closet bigot, you should spell-check your post, asshole.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

"If they" ----- you do know how to read, correct? I said "If they" as in "If they are out of my product I normally buy, I'll go to another store."

Yes, I know how to read and I stand by what I said. I was expanding on what you had said, not criticizing it.

Oh yay...just what I want to watch after spending all day here at ATS and watching y'all go at each other's throats over "social issues".

Then don't watch it.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

We sound of similar age: TOS premiered the year I was born.

Every version of Trek has addressed "social issues." TOS was all about sexism and racism. TNG dealt with privilege and power and sexism and racism.

These "social issues" have always been a part of Trek as has the cool gadgets and action sequences. Something for everyone.

From what the developers of "Discovery" actually said, as opposed to what the OP claimed ... this will be the same.

edit on 9-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

"Trumpkin Fragility"

If it's not directly offending somebody they don't like, they'll make it about themselves and claim that it's "PC" which, of course, ironically triggers them.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join