It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolling as a natural human reactive behavior to perceived ideological THREATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I actually think that the West's tendency to troll and to humble is possibly a healthy thing. It demonstrates that we are free to express ourselves and pushes the boundaries of free speech. It deprives the despot his illusion because the digital online feedback commentary is more deafening than any squeaky string sound Jim Hendrix ever made. it maintains a healthy environment in which to freely criticize without censure.

Extreme ideologies abound and even in high places power can be totally warped more than any star ship.

Are we keeping each other "in the muck" as we adjust to internet digital communication? Are these all natural checks and balances? Might trolling toughen us up and actually help us to form our arguments better? I never minded a challenge and a bit of competition.

The establishment hate trolling because it interferes with the smooth running of agenda operations from Big Brother Central, lol. Trolling is the great equalizer of internet communications!

Trolling and bullying are two different things. Trolling is a "So What" response! Trolling is so extensive among humans that it is intrinsic to their nature. You would have to create something as deadly effective as the SS to even chip away at its prevalence.

Under the bridges lurk the "audience". They are no longer blobs of clay for you to manipulate into chosen forms. It is you who must satisfy them now, not they who must satisfy you. This is what comes from too much tampering: "Mr Disney, what kind of #ery is this?" (A.J.W).

Long live the troll! Our collective sanity depends on you. Now I must travel to see my folks. I'll see you later.

edit on 9-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Well, you're not wrong. Only take into perspective that in an overtly PC world we live in, pretty soon you wont be able to call any one a man or woman....you'll neutrally be referred to as an it.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I sure don't know about this... If everybody in the world turned into trolls I know that I sure wouldn't want to know any of them anymore. I think it could be very paralyzing to the cogs and gears that keep things afloat and trolling surely isn't the most constructive of things to do. I figure each time a person puts out negative intent like that it is going to be paid back somehow in an extraordinary round about way, I guess I'm suggesting I believe in Karma. Lots of other things in nature and life seem to be a balance between good and bad, so why not our actions right?

I think it could definitely be a good outlet as you say but it sure seems to bring a lot of negative feelings to the table. It is probably also difficult to correlate the trolling activity done to somebody with what possible reaction it could have on them going forward, since the troll was an anonymous individual. To a kid, it could have pretty significant impacts I would think, especially if the troll is of the type of making people believe untrue things, a kid that doesn't know any better could carry incorrect information for a while without even realizing it.
edit on 9-9-2017 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I support the trolls!

No one wants to live in an echo chamber nor should they.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Another label applied if we cannot overcome difference of opinion.

God forbid anyone should (troll) outside the box, (troll) against the flow. What a stupid, crazy (insert political, religious ideological label)... ummm (uses dirty word), Troll!

People that throw the label troll around seek to discredit, ridicule, marginalize (censor) others opinion without actually having an argument.

So, Troll!

The, inside the box, with the flow, acceptable retort. Bwah they putdown my blurp religion, debunked my UFO blip, peed in my Cheerios...

What a troll!

Yes, the truth trolls.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Trolls are f#*king awesome. The internet would get pretty boring without them.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Extreme ideologies abound and even in high places power can be totally warped more than any star ship.

As a nerd I can't agree more with that analogy, but as a human being...I still agree.

I Believe that if you say something stupid, you deserve a hilarious and reasonable response. The Keyboard mashing can be countered by folk who have the cerebral fortitude against those who think a keyboard is a magical piece of equipment to summon the god of logic and they will be found wanting.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

So my pleasure in agitating people for fun is because i feel threatened? I never thought of it that way. I must really be terrified all the time, but wait... if i find it fun, does this mean i find being scared fun? So im just a thrill seeker and the internet is my amusement park....

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Probably. But what exactly do you mean when you say 'trolling', in this case?

Traditionally trolling involves some kind of deceit; voicing extreme opinions you don't actually believe to make someone mad, or intentionally giving someone bad advice.

Just being loud, abrasive or opinionated isn't trolling. Simply making fun of someone doesn't count either, even if it's dark humor. Of course this is just my opinion, nowadays any kind of controversial behavior seems to be called trolling.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

"Dark humour" is this some hipster millenial thing?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Trolls trolling trolls, trolling trolls.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Trolling equates to purposely winding someone up as far as I know. People do do this in real life but they don't call it trolling, they call it a joke.

I find it humorous when people get upset online by someone they don't even know and probably never will.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
Trolling is the great equalizer of internet communications!

that's a very interesting perspective, considering that a lot of the time i see mass trolling used to shut down opinions that are seen as a threat to 'how the internet SHOULD be' or 'how it USED to be' or just making the boys' club cry, in general.

it's not equalizing things when you just use it to shut up and drive off people you don't like.

Trolling and bullying are two different things.

i'm really going to have to see your work on this one.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Even the President trolls, sometimes. He's such a trend setter!

new topics

top topics

join