It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking warrior found in Sweden was a woman, researchers confirm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Viking warrior found in Sweden was a woman, researchers confirm

What the grave may have looked like. Illustration by Evald Hansen based on Hjalmar Stolpe's excavations at Birka in the 19th century (Stolpe 1889).

Another drawing of what the grave may have looked like. Illustration: Þórhallur Þráinsson (copyright: Neil Price)

For more than a century, archaeologists and historians have assumed that the remains of a person found buried along with arms and horses in one of the most spectacular graves discovered in the Viking Age town of Birka, in Sweden, belonged to a man. Turns out they were wrong. Osteology- and DNA tests now show that that he has always been a she, and she was most likely a powerful military leader.

“You can’t reach such a high (military) position without having warrior experience, so it’s reasonable to believe that she took part in battles.”

Hedenstierna-Jonson described it as a fantastic find, but said it is unlikely to completely up-end historians’ view of the Viking society as being patriarchal, mainly constituting of male warriors.
"Viking warrior found in Sweden was a woman, researchers confirm" -Source

The study

Interesting development comparing and contrasting with from 2011 news -"Invasion of the Viking women: Wives joined warriors when they came to Britain" -www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Meh. I saw a movie about her.

edit on 9/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Groundbreaking research! You must be a millennial..

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Shield maidens were bad ass !!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Yeah. But maiden?
Maybe not.
edit on 9/9/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah. But maiden?
Maybe not.

Hahhaahaaaa lol

Highly doubtful

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I witnessed once what a 16 yr old girl could do with a set of numb chucks. She made my tough guy brother run across the yard and jump fences to get away.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Man...born in the wrong time!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
To be a good leader you don't have to be a muscler. The best muscle to be a leader is between your ears. So a woman need not be a physical warrior, Though that would be more impressive to her enemy. but a woman non the less.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
To be a good leader you don't have to be a muscler. The best muscle to be a leader is between your ears. So a woman need not be a physical warrior, Though that would be more impressive to her enemy. but a woman non the less.

You're trying to transpose modern day ideology with what it was like back then...

No...she would have had to if been fierce in battle to rank like that...

I.e. See boadicca

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: VikingWarlord
Man...born in the wrong time!!!

Served her well!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ah yes, mention a tv show about Vikings with the lead actor being an Aussie.

That calls for a song.......Aussie of course......

edit on 9-9-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

blogs.discovermagazine.com...-RK3IU

One of the graves, originally excavated in the 1880s, was particularly noteworthy for both its position — on a prominent terrace adjacent to what had been a garrison — and for its grave goods . . .
The grave, archaeologists believed, belonged to a high-ranking warrior. Although the individual buried in the grave was assumed to be male based on the grave goods, some researchers argued that the skeleton belonged to a woman.

I thought this story deserved a thread. I was going to call it something like 'Patriachy Invented By Recent Historians'

new topics

top topics

join