It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Headed to Vacation in...Florida!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Tonight on standby tonight for LAS (McCarran) in Las Vegas. Then Nellis.

They're packing and loading skids of gear now.

It's got to get really, really ugly for us to be called upon. We're the ground zero, square-one, guys.

(restoration of federal, state and local communications in the south eastern United States of America...no holds barred.)

Generators, LOS microwave, HF, UHF, 800MHz, cellular repeaters...all of it. Hundreds of miles of cable.

One guy today asked if I was "jump rated". I said "Uhhhh, NO!"

Never seen anything like this before.

We'll go. Not what I had planned (not at all), but we'll go.

God Bless, and stay safe Florida!! We're comin'!!

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I will be thinking of you disk. Go in a man, come out a hero.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Thanks!...from how it sounds they're probably going to need it. Last I heard they're looking at 112mph winds even up in Port Charlotte/Tampa area, and upwards of 12' storm surge.

Keep us posted if you can...might be hard getting news out for a bit.
edit on 8-9-2017 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

IF we have to go, it won't be about heroics, just doing a job we know how to do.

Plenty of more deserving heroes than us, we're the behind the scenes guys. Our reward is green lights and comms.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Don't be getting yourself killed when your down there. There could be some bad power lines that might be problematic after the storm.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Yeah, really, who needs to be a hero anyway. Doing the job to ones best ability and seeing the positive effect for others as a result is reason abounding. Stay strong/

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Stay safe, and if you're in the Fort Myers area and come across an idiot sitting on his roof cause his house is flooded, tell him that his big sister Lollie told him he should have left. Dang man is as stubborn as they come.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

In Law's have a place on the water (not the shore) up in Cocoa Beach.

Don't know where we'll go, probably south initially. I'm just guessing but I think maybe TNT (everglades...the old abandoned SST airport along the Tamiami Trail) down in Dade-Collier. It'd be cool if they sent us into the Cape, but I strongly doubt that. (that would be right by my In-Law's place). I'm thinking we'll have to start in the south and work north.

Might turn out to be nothing, but it's not looking like it.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Stay safe, man.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

ALWAYS! Always is. But, in time, most of the power is off.

Our biggest danger sometimes is our own power (and the water).

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

ALWAYS! Always is. But, in time, most of the power is off.

Our biggest danger sometimes is our own power (and the water).

I saw videos from Texas, people wading in a few feet of water in houses and the ceiling lights were on.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
In-Law's place is their retirement dream. They've owned it since the 60's (well, they inherited it). It's a nice place. Nothing exotic, just a nice place on the water. I'd sure hate to see them lose it. I'm pretty certain, if the forecasts are right, there's probably not a lot of hope for it. But, I'll keep wishing.

My larger concern is just the recovery of the people and the area.

We often get called upon for major disasters, worldwide, but it takes a lot to call us up. We got called for the big quake in Turkey, and the Tsunami in Phuket Thailand. We didn't get called for Japan (well, some did, but not my group). It's pretty dire when they call us.

Nothing's happened yet in FL, so we can still hope.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Hey thanks for everything you do man. One suggestion in your posting, use less jargon for us civilians. I understood maybe a quarter of your post . Anyways, good luck and be safe! a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I don't worry about AC power nearly as much as high power RF.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   

You're a credit to our species. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I don't worry about AC power nearly as much as high power RF.

I've beet shocked by ac power a few times, I am still here. I got thrown across a room when I was young from working on an old color TV, it sure makes your muscles jump and you fly if you are bent over. That is high voltage from the picture tube though..

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

Sorry, I was rushing...

LAS = Las Vegas, McCarran Airport

Skids = Pallets of radio and communications gear which will be loaded on transport aircraft

LOS = Line of Sight high frequency microwave communication link equipment

HF = High Frequency radio frequency transmitter and receiver equipment (3-30MHz (megahertz) radio equipment). A relatively low, but highly effective radio band and also that used by many elevated HAM operators.

UHF = Ultra High Frequency, generally a radio band above 300MHz (up to 3GHz, but this is kind of a misnomer). UHF now days is generally accepted to stop at just below 700MHz.

800MHz = The largest general Public Safety radio band (fire, police, emt, etc.)

Cellular = all of the cellular telephone bands including PCS, 3G, 4G and others.

Jump rated = Parachute out of an airborne aircraft (I guess, not sure)

We're communications guys. "Can you hear me now?" (when people are shooting at you, or the world is crumbling around you, kind of stuff). That's what we do.

Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Helps tremendously thank you!! Let me just say I am supremely thankful to have people like you in this world. You make me proud to be a human. a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Just great big capacitors.

They can kill ya though.

RF is different, ...it cooks you first (and it's got a 100 different ways it can do it too).

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Flyingclaydisk you have a call on line 2, someone named Darwin?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join