It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will Never be the same D:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It shouldn't be quite that dramatic... but none the less... Tis true

A short story... IF you will

The first thing you must know leading into this epic drama is that I am a carnivore... Love me some meat... almost any will do, though i will not eat baby animals... veal is out of the question, though i will eat lamb reluctantly... it seems my hypocrisy knows no bounds

In the past i've had no qualms with with how said meat is cooked... as long as its cooked... i don't eat rare meat. Yes.. i prefer that my food will not attempt to jump off my plate and run down the hall... or even bite me back.

Many people prefer their steak rare for obvious reasons, its far more tender and juicy... but to each their own... i would rather my food not have a heart beat.

Pan fry or BBQ... never mattered in the least... it always tasted good... i mean its steak right?

Last night i had me a beautiful T-bone steak... cooked to perfection, or at least thats what i thought... must have been on the BBQ for 20 mins or so... apparently it was thicker and a lot less fatty then i thought.

SO i take it off the grill, and sit down to enjoy my meal... T-bone steak with boiled potatoes and fresh green beans

I slice into it and find that its still kickin... very red for my liking... Now i can deal with a bit of pink, but this was too much...

still tasted fantastic but im pretty sure it yelped when i stuck my fork in...

No problems... back on the BBQ it goes, except two seconds in, wouldn't you know i run out of propane...

Figures..

so... me being perfectly brilliant... decided to toss it into the pan for a few minutes

Now in the past me and my mother have always bickered about pan fried steak Vs BBQ... she wouldn't ever touch a pan fried steak, while i never had an issue with it... Apparently the old adage remains true... Mom always knows best

my first bite almost made me sick... WTF happened to my steak!!!

I would have rather eaten it in its previous half raw state then this piece of crap on my plate!

Good thing theres a dog next door, though somehow i'd bet the dog had to think twice before she chowed

Afterwords, thinking back i realised the fat in BBQ'd meat drips into the flames, while pan fried steak cooks in its own fat

Going forward... i will never touch a pan fried steak again

Holy crap that was so disgusting

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Many people prefer their steak rare for obvious reasons, its far more tender and juicy

I myself prefer steak still mooing . Folks cook the nutrients out of food.....meats , vegetables , even fruits

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Should've broiled it the rest of the way. A broiler is just an upside down grill

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If you don't have to stop it from running off with your fork, it's overcooked.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

When the weather isn't great for a steak BBQ, I usually set the oven to broil and put one of those cookie cooling racks in a pan. Then cook it in kind of an upside-down BBQ fashion. The rack lets the fat drip off. Almost as good as a BBQ but missing the bit of smoke flavor that comes from the fat hitting the BBQ elements.

Alternatively, we have a frying pan that has ridges in the bottom to help with getting the fat away. But the broil method tends to be better.

Edit: Just saw Snowspirit's response. 2 votes for broiling

edit on 8-9-2017 by bluesjr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have not mastered the grill. Actually, I'm fairly atrocious with it. My pan fried steak always comes out SO much better! So sorry you had to chuck it. 😩

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
What you want to do with a pan fried steak, is sear it at a high temperature in Ghee. The high sear seals the juices in, the Ghee is clarified butter, and belongs with steak. After searing the steak, lower the temp until it reaches the temperature you like. Im a 152 degree steak Lover.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

PS, Im a barbeque person. I have chicken thighs and a pork sirloin roast on the barbeque right now, but pan fried is great if done correctly. Served with clarified butter and wedges of Meyer Lemon

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Pan fried can be delicious but it needs to be a cast iron pan on high, high heat. A little butter in the pan and some on top for basting. I like to use compound butter, some parsley and thyme are my favorites. Having said that, grilled Porterhouse with just salt and pepper is the best.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Alright, I'm gonna pop back in here and say that I LOVE IT when I get food / cooking tips here!

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Why didn't you just put it in at around 425 in a preheated oven?

It would have been done in minutes and it would have been delicious.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I like sirloin steak or chuck steak fried in a cast iron pan. Same with minute steaks. I put T-bones and all other steaks on the broiler or in the grill. When pan frying it is best to add some onions with the steak. The only spices are salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt. No rubs containing hot peppers or other spices, it makes a fried steak taste undesirable. On the grill the other spices aren't bad, but I just use the garlic salt, seasalt, and pepper there too.

We usually have a spare gas tank for our gas grill, if that fails, we have a firepit with grate on half of it and also a big smoker/grill that uses charcoal or pieces of hardwood. I take cooking serious.

You would have been better off finishing that steak under your oven broiler.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Your problem was related more to letting the temp of the meat fall, then bringing it back up again. Its not hamburger, and has to be treated properly.

Once it came off the grill, it was done cooking. You can "salvage" it by putting it back on, but once you cut it, any more heat will only make it terrible.

I don't like pan fried either. But if you start off in a moderately cool oven first (like 260 for about 15 minutes) the move directly into a searing hot cast iron skillet (adding some butter and garlic), it'll brown off in about 1-2 minutes per side and come out around medium. That is the only way I can recommend not grilling a steak, and i don't really recommend it. Real fire for real men with real appetites.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well my furry friend next door got a nice treat

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
While I completely agree with you on the pan frying, I am afraid I am a charcoal snob. I cant stand a gas grill. I've even taught myself to cook a mean breakfast on my old car jack grill over our fire pit. Great backup when your out of charcoal.

(great to see you around again Akragon!)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

i never left...

just seem to stand on the sidelines more these days due to the overwhelming political crap that's posted lately

but thanks anyways

new topics

top topics

join