It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Seeks $400 Million Fund to Reward Coalition Allies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
President Bush plans to ask Congress to set up a $400 Million dollar fund which will be used to reward countries such as Poland and others who took political and economic risks to join U.S Coalitions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Poland would recieve one fourth of the funds with the remaining being shared by unspecified nations.

ap.tbo.com
"Poland has been a fantastic ally because the president and the people of Poland love freedom," Bush said during his Oval Office meeting with Kwasniewski, a staunch ally in the Iraq war. "I know the people of your country must have been thrilled when the millions of people went to the polls" in Iraq.

Democratic Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., the ranking minority member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, says the fund is indicative of the administration's inability to attract more well-to-do nations to the coalition at the start of the conflict.

"It's kind of a shame," he said in a telephone interview. "The reason we're having to do this is that we never reached out to those who have the ability and capacity to do this to begin with."

He called the countries in the U.S. led coalition in Iraq "courageous" but said the administration had no choice but to offer them help because their societies and national budgets can't afford the cost of being in Iraq for extended periods of time.

One administration official said the fund was designed to provide help to Eastern European nations, such as Ukraine, Hungary, Romania and the Baltic states. Bush is meeting March 9 at the White House with Traian Basescu, the president of Romania, which has an estimated 700 troops in Iraq.

"These funds ... reflect the principle that an investment in a partner in freedom today will help ensure that America will stand united with stronger partners in the future," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said in a statement. "This assistance will support nations that have developed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as other partners promoting freedom around the world."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This package in addition to the Tsunami aid is also part of the $80 billion dollar supplemental war funding request that Bush will send to Congress. I thought the idea of having a Coalition was so that the costs of war could be shared between allies. Now it seems like we are paying them for joining us and being our allies.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
That is nice and good, but its that included on the bush budget cuts? or is part of the next budget bush is going for?

He is cutting left and right even on our own disable, poor, old and vets, but he is going to have money for others countries rewards.

Bribery if you ask me that what it is.

Amazing.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
950 million for Tsunami aid, 80 billion for the pursuit of terror and another 400 million to help his partners in terror. However, he won’t even look after his sick and wounded soldiers properly. What’s wrong with this picture

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
dont' get it confused sauron, the $950 and $400 Million funds are part of the $80 billion war supplement request.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
dont' get it confused sauron, the $950 and $400 Million funds are part of the $80 billion war supplement request.

I see, thank you worldwatcher
I didn't know America was so rich to hand out all that money, Hey Geroge if you read this could you spot me a billion to fight terror

[edit on 9/2/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
soon you might end up seeing third world countries signing up for the Coalition and forcing their citizens into the military to get some monetary benefits. Maybe this is the new way to get cheap military ground forces....hmmmm

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
I see, thank you worldwatcher
I didn't know America was so rich to hand out all that money, Hey Geroge if you read this could you spot me a billion to fight terror

[edit on 9/2/2005 by Sauron]

Yeah Sauron bush and Co. has tax payer money for everybody but for us the Americans that pay the taxes, for us he is going to make our living standars worst.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yeah Sauron bush and Co. has tax payer money for everybody but for us the Americans that pay the taxes, for us he is going to make our living standars worst.

Did you see Bush speaking in Nebraska today or yesterday? Looked like some kind of town hall. There was a middle aged woman beside him who was worried about social security and she told him that she's working 3 jobs to make a living...

He says: "Wow, that's uniquely American."

Duh!

That's uniquely poverty...and its worldwide. 'Course what would he know about that.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Always learning if you find a link to that will you post it that is very sad, I did not see it.

Actually I do know various people in their golden years that has taken second jobs to compensate for no having enough retirement.

My husband is a retired Marine but is not way that we will be able to make a living with his retirement alone.

Unless we move to Mexico.

He is seriously thinking about it, he said that because we don't know how is going to be in the US in the next 20 years, he said that with his retirement, 401K and investments plus whatever he gets from SS, may not be enough in the US right now but we will be considered rich in Mexico and I can even have domestic help

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
absolutely ridiculous, that money should be used for better things than giving other nations money for participating in a war. They wanted to join the war so they should have to pay their own share of it.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hmmmm. Why would anyone pay for loyalty? Or friendship? Or for being an ally? If Iraq had offered more would Poland have gone down for Hussein instead of Bush? 'Course Poland is about the only nation in the EU that's importing US cattle. Everyone else is afraid of Mad Cow. ...Could that why Bush wants to slip them some cash? ... Then again, Poland just reported its 12th case of Mad Cow in a year.... Is that why? But Poland is poor, and they can't afford to go to war. So why did they? When they didn't have the money to do it?

???
It's all so confusing.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The Coalition of the Bribed and Coerced lives up to it's name.

new topics

top topics

join