It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone tell me what this bizarre light in the clouds is? (Weather, not UFO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My daughter sent me this link a few minutes ago, telling me she'd seen the same phenomenon a couple of years ago on a drive through Kansas. This is an archived Facebook Live video (yeah, I know Facebook is evil, but that's where the vid is, sorry!) so I don't think I can embed it, but here's what it shows:

It's a video of a cloudy sky with like 1/3 of the sun showing through on the right side. Toward the middle of the shot, a beam of light jumps into being and moves around, appearing and disappearing, moving left and right in weird, jerky motions. Now, I'm sure this is probably some kind of optical illusion where the light is interacting with the water in the clouds. I'm not claiming it's anything unnatural. However, I know there are some hard-core weather buffs on here, and I was hoping someone could look at the vid and tell us (my daughter and me) exactly what IS going on. When she saw the same thing it really freaked her out. Here's the link, sorry it's a link only, and if there's some way to embed this type of video please share and I'll fix it. Thanks, ATS

Bizzare lights in the clouds video

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Sun dog.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I've seen this vid before .. months ago on here I think ?

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Thank you
Now I'm off to look up "sun dog."

Hmmn. Every pic or video I see of a "sun dog" looks more like a halo around the sun, or a rainbow around/beside it.

edit on 8-9-2017 by riiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The video appears to be fake and manipulated. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Crown Flash

Crown flash is a rare but observed phenomenon involving "The brightening of a thunderhead crown followed by the appearance of aurora-like streamers emanating into the clear atmosphere".

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I cant search now but theres a really cool video from a few years ago in japan of the same phenomenon

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It's weird, the pictures people say to compare it to are way different than this. There is something going on there, maybe a little twister with electrified particles or something. I've seen explanations for weird things like this in the past and usually later on over the years the true reason is found. I remember when they made up things about sprites, they had no clue yet even scientists were making up things about them while others laughed at the people talking about them. Probably something natural, what is the only question.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That's because there's no clouds on those videos. The movement of the clouds is what gives the movement to the lights.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Nice comp here.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

NEAT video! That is some of the weirdest # I've ever seen. Thanks

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Yep, I think that's it. I looked up some videos and they're virtually identical.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

You're right, there weren't clouds in most of them. I think kamatty hit the nail on the head, though; the crown flash videos look like exactly the same thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Our local weatherman once explained that, I can't remember what he said now, but it was this exact phenomenon video that he did explain. It was legit.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The sundog is made up of ice crystals (hexagonal needles or plates). An electric current will make all those crystals face one particular direction. Then you see flashes of light.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Such an amazing world we live in. Thanks for the replies, folks

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I liked the comment that it was the sun waving goodbye.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thank you once again ATS for proving me wrong. It's real!

Learning every day....

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I was watching the morning news about year ago and seen one on the weather segment. Oddly enough no-one on the newscast mentioned it. I thought I imagined it because I was unable to find a repeat of that part of the news an see it...until seeing this post. Thanks for confirming it and now I know what it's called!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

Thank you
Now I'm off to look up "sun dog."

Hmmn. Every pic or video I see of a "sun dog" looks more like a halo around the sun, or a rainbow around/beside it.

I can't see the video but a sun dog looks like two suns right beside each other. A real WTF moment when you see it for the first time .

top topics

join