It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New AI can guess whether you're gay or straight from a photograph

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
swear. its not either or. there are in betweens,such as BI. COmputers cant do nothing they are not programmed to do. AI at its base is still just able to count up to 1,and down to zero.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
Sooner or later it will make way to this guy is a criminal because of this physical feature.

They were doing that back in the 1700s. People love to classify other people and themselves.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
swear. its not either or. there are in betweens,such as BI. COmputers cant do nothing they are not programmed to do. AI at its base is still just able to count up to 1,and down to zero.

Yeah, but all we really do is push a lot of electric sparks around in our brains, creating variations in electrolytic chemical levels. We're analog, they're digital. We're squishy, they're solid. No reason they can't do basically the same stuff we can, given enough processing power and the right algorithms.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I completely agree with you. As long as it's consenting adults, none of this should even matter. We have waaaay bigger issues to deal with in this world than to keep focusing on the sex lives of strangers.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
From what I've heard, it can perceive the faintest stretch marks in the corners of the mouth
jk

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

You know straight guys can look at another man and tell within seconds whether the other is gay or straight with 90 percent accuracy too.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

It's a mystery really that Humanity has managed to come as far as she has whilst we perpetuate such madness towards one another.

You're correct we do indeed have far larger issues to contend with or in the post but we simply refuse to see the forest for the trees.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This is more about artificial intelligence than being gay or straight. The article says:

The machine intelligence tested in the research, which was published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology and first reported in the Economist, was based on a sample of more than 35,000 facial images that men and women publicly posted on a US dating website. The researchers, Michal Kosinski and Yilun Wang, extracted features from the images using “deep neural networks”, meaning a sophisticated mathematical system that learns to analyze visuals based on a large dataset.

The research found that gay men and women tended to have “gender-atypical” features, expressions and “grooming styles”, essentially meaning gay men appeared more feminine and vice versa. The data also identified certain trends, including that gay men had narrower jaws, longer noses and larger foreheads than straight men, and that gay women had larger jaws and smaller foreheads compared to straight women.

This is about A.I. When you're dealing with deep neural networks, the system isn't just facial recognition because the system learns what features are connected, it's not told. That will be the key to A.I. I think people watch too many movies and think A.I. has to be like Haley Joel Osment in the A.I. movie.

Weak A.I. is more dangerous than strong A.I. because it's easier to create intelligent machines but you can have intelligence without awareness or self consciousness. So you can create a machine that's more intelligent than any human that has ever lived but it's not aware of itself or aware of the consequence of it's actions. This is truly dangerous.

This study is very important because it saw biological differences between gay and straight men and women.

This is very interesting because more and more Scientist are saying information is more fundamental than matter and energy. If this is the case, the universe could be like a universal quantum computer and we're simply information(DNA) that's being processed. So everything we are and everything we do would be written in our DNA.

For instance, you can began to look for biological differences between criminals. Can these systems start to see biological differences between criminals and non criminals? Could it go even further and see biological differences between murderers and bank robbers?

What about Scientist. Could it see biological differences between Scientist and non Scientist? Could it go even further and see biological differences between Physicist and Biologist?

That would be very interesting if everything about us is written in our DNA and that information is being processed by the universe. So whether a person is a killer or a Cosmologist can be a construct of information.

So this experiment is about A.I. not whether someone is gay or straight. It's about the information these systems can connect that humans will not be able to see.
edit on 8-9-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

from what i read...essentially it profiles. congratulations scientist. you created a perfect bigot.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus
post removed by staff

Woody Allen said that it doubles your chances of finding a date for Saturday night.
edit on Sat Sep 9 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: soberbacchus
Although its not my thing. Good luck on your exploratory journey. I sometimes take for granted that I am not sexually confused or ambivalent. Is it easier or harder to go both ways?

Woody Allen said that it doubles your chances of finding a date for Saturday night.

And he was apparently age agnostic too..plus didn't mind adopted daughters..

I appreciate his genius, but abhor the rest of him.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Are leftists calling for the AI's firing on grounds that it's homophobic yet?

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

They gave AI a gaydar?

ETA - LOL. Apparently I am a bit too late. They are already talking about AI "gaydar".
Like this one for example: www.dailydot.com...

Edited again - Looking through this thread apparently I am not the first one to mention "gaydar".
Sorry everyone.
edit on 9/8/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Reminder!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.
Community Announcement re: Decorum
Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS
**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

hahahahaha

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: pirhanna

You know that's been mentioned more than once in this thread as well as in the article. You're redundant.

It's interesting though, that it seems to reinforce the existence of a biological basis for homosexuality.

Does it ? Or does it show the aftereffects of other things that cause homosexuality.

Or both, in any case, the programmers themselves affect the algorithm so THEY think they can see everyone for who they are.

They will be wrong enough times, that they will be targeted with a lot of rage...

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainyState
Can someone please, please, PLEASE take this AI to wherever the next WBC protest is going on?

With as much hatred as those idiots have towards the LGBT community, you'd think that at least a few members would be hiding deep in the closet. I would pay good money to watch them turn on each other

I bet half the LGBT community would register as NOT GAY with these algorithms, hmmm this could be fun!

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciferslight
I hope someday AI can predict my death.

Lucifer can't die.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join