It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People do not think for themselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I was talking about social security and why I did not agree with it, with two guys I work with. The scary thing is that all they kept saying is, Hannity from Fox news said this, or he said that. They did not have one idea of there own, or read anything on it. They just belived everything FoX news anchors told them. I find this very disturbing that people trust and take as fact what the news tells them.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I agree with you whole-heartedly. Prior to the 2004 election, i participated on an political online discussion board. It was amazing....everything that most people said was simply talking points from Sean Hannity or Michael Moore. No one could engage in an actual logical, intellectual discussion of issues.....sad....very sad...

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I was talking at someone at ATS the other day, and in the end when I was confronted with blind ignorance, I had to say - Snowman9 told me people don't think for themselves anymore.

I decided to link that so people could not criticize anyone for lack of proof.

www.abovetopsecret.com... 118470

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I too have noticed this as I'm sure many others have.
What I find more discouraging is that it is universal here in America. Both the left and the right find propoganda useful. There are just as many people on both sides who only listen to what they want to hear.

We need more options. How can two viewpoints encompass everyone in the US? It can't and it leaves those like me, (I want universal healthcare AND the right to bear arms) without representation.

My solution?
Never re-elect an incumbent, and implement runoff voting in all national and state elections. With runoff voting your vote will never be "wasted" on third parties. If more parties are given voices and offices it helps us all out, and hopefully it would change the usual black and white style of political debate into something relevant.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hmm, let me see:

Your saying that people don't think based on a confrontational discussion you had with two others?

They relied on what you claim was FoxNews, while you rely on reading material? Hmm. Cannot both listening to the news and reading material replace or enhance one's thinking? You concluded that they did not have one idea of their own and yet, from reading the material you have, you did? Are you sure? Maybe your ideas and thoughts stemmed from what you read, therefore eliminating you from not thinking on your own?

Correct me if I wrong here.

I think that MaskedAvatar makes an outstanding observation and the link is an exceptional one.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Think you missed my point. I read a bunch of different sources to come to informed decision based on the facts that I had read. I chose my Ideas based on different sources not just one. They listened to one source and though it must be true. Most people will listen to 1 person or see a film and think everything in it, is a fact. Example: Fahrenheit 911. Or Fox News.

This goes for Religion and every thing else.

My point was that most people do not research a subject to make up their mind on the facts. They just take one persons word for fact, and follow it.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Snowman9]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Maybe your ideas and thoughts stemmed from what you read, therefore eliminating you from not thinking on your own?

I think your missing the point here. It is OK to get IDEAS of your own from things you have read, or watched on TV, or saw in a movie... or whatever the case may be. I dont think that is what the author is refering to. But when one takes word for word what a news anchor tells them. And trusts it to be 100% truth, without thinking about it, or putting their own view in. Thats when there are problems. Many, Many people these days have no more ability to think on their own. There is no section in their brains for original thinking, and/or abstract thinking. This to me is extremely scary, and horrible. The thing that is scariest of all though, is that these people are having children, and raising them exactly how they are.

Its incredible how the government is using the media to condition the people in to pretty much becoming a slave for them. Putting thoughts in to peoples heads, thoughts that they take as the Honest to God truth. The worst one i can think of, is with education. Its incredible how many people (especially young people) beleive that if you dont get good grades in school, and go to college (Preferably a 4 year university) then you will have no future, and there is no possible way you can be successful in life, and you will be stupid all throughout life. (I thought it was very obvious to people that grades are a reflection of effort, not intelect.) I guess they havent come to the realization (And probably never will) that a good majority of the education system in the U.S of A. is creating money that is going STRAIGHT TO THE GOVERNMENT. Humanity's universe revolves around the dollar bill. very few people care about anyone or anything anymore.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thats right

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I figured and had anticipated that you would say such.
My next set of questions are then how do you know that those "informed" sources are indeed correct? How do you know that those "informed" sources are indeed informed? How do you know that the material you read is not along the lines or being equal to the likes of FoxNews? How dependable are the sources? Are they merely taking or borrowing information from other sources?

What I am getting at is that if you have found enlightenment, then more power to you.

But reading material can be just as 'thoughtless' or 'uninformed' as TV, or any other media type, and in reading that "informed" material, you base your 'ideas' (opinion and thoughts) on those of others (and if so, you are not necessarily thinking for yourself, but simply 'borrowing' others), just as those two individuals relied on FoxNews and Hannity & Colmes or whomever.

seekerof

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snowman9
My point was that most people do not research a subject to make up their mind on the facts. They just take one persons word for fact, and follow it.

This has been discussed in various threads on ATS.
Don't you think the government is happy when whatever is put out by the media is accepted as fact?
Doing this intentionally is referred to as the "dumbing down" ans surely you've heard the word "sheeple" used to described sheep-like people?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It's called an idiot box for a reason. I know people that do not believe anything unless they saw it on tv.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yes I agree if you read a book that is slanted you will come out with a slanted view. There are books out there though that take the middle ground. If you read a buch of dfferent sources it will help you make a better decisions. Or if you hear different views on a subject, like the news or a public disscusion, you have more information to make your decision.

News: You can watch Fox then go online and get a totally different point of view. Then you can decide what is right and wrong.

You should never just listen to 1 source. Research a few sources. Get different opions, then you can make a informed decision. Just dont listen to the celebrity on the box, and think it must be so, because he said so.

My point differnt sources you should have more information. 1 source, one outlook on a topic.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Exactly, the main point is wherever you receive your information from, do some research of your own. Whether you read it, or watched it, or heard it. I think the media was brought up to be the main topic in the first place because of the fact they have been known to lie quite often, or just exaggerate. And its probably the place most people go for information. They see if there is anything on the NEWS about what their looking for.

top topics

join