It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover launch delayed again due to defective cork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Can we all see where the latest slew of Mars missions will be going? They are using cork to protect against heat damage. I guess you don't need to be a rocket scientist well..... to design rockets!!! Cork will do just fine thank you! All kidding aside, based on past NASA behavior I believe these things are rigged to give the appearance of mission failure.

"The launch of the rover Opportunity had already been pushed back last week because the adhesive wasn't bonding with the cork."

www.foxnews.com...

[Edited on 29-6-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I still prefer cork to screwcaps, for the sake of tradition and aural/olfactory pleasuring.

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It is only a matter of what you need. You can put on 10 inches thick of stainless steel, but your craft won't ever make it. Plus, the steel might have a flaw (besides weight) in it that the cork does not. There are different steels, different metals, different plastics, and probably different corks to choose from. If standard cork is used, it is probably the #1 material for the job. If not, NASA should be overtaken by the Mighty Cheese People.

posted on Jun, 29 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Cork is an absolutely acceptable insulating material. It just sounds like they have a QC issue.

Listen, in the early days of the space program oak planks were used as a heat ablative material in that their ignition temperature is so high that by the time one burns off you have expended a great deal of energy.

Don't be so quick to discard the use of common materials.

top topics

join