It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renowned climate scientist jailed for fraud

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Yeah the conservative is dishonest with something else then you can't believe anything he says but if a liberal is then no you have to believe his other crap get out of get the f*** out of here

Jaden

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

originally posted by: smurfy

B) his convicton has nothing to do with climate research

So?

That might not be strictly true. Some or many of the false payments were supposedly for 'scientific tests' so, if those tests were never done, that could bring into question his credibilty as a scientist, or at least the credibility of the work he was supposed to be doing.

Ergo global warming a fraud

It just a very silly straw man.

Don't try to be sly, The guy was working on climate change research, and he was faking it.
He claimed he was measuring carbon levels in core samples taken from the Reef, and pretended he was paying for radioisotope/s tests for his Great Barrier Reef research.
As it happens, I personally have no problem with Climate Change...as in climate change, and a reasonable attitude to make sure pollution is a prime motivation, regardless of climate change research...one reason why I think Trump was stupid to start opening mines that had been closed.
However I do think that the basic stats, the starting point over a couple of hundred years, are full of anomaly, weather stations time and time again, that were there so long that the environment around them changed completely, others were put in totally wrong places, heat sinks like asphalt, air con, walls, vehicles parking, airports...all sorts of things, all that went into their 'modelling'...the holy grail of all things scientific. Yep, great stuff, and nobody's supposed to mind about the odd bad apple that is above and beyond the already anomalous material.
In edit Here's a link to The Guardian from over a year ago, something I was looking for re this man, (It looks like he even told his boss he would get the work done cheaper because of his American passport, and yes, he was a senior researcher)

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 7-9-2017 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I don't think this should have any impact on his prior scientific work, since that's not the reason he's been done for fraud.

But a propensity for lying doesn't matter in his career?
This is no small mark on his record but a blot on his entire character.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dudemo5

So?

That might not be strictly true. Some or many of the false payments were supposedly for 'scientific tests' so, if those tests were never done, that could bring into question his credibilty as a scientist, or at least the credibility of the work he was supposed to be doing.

Amazing how a post like this gets starred.

The guy's credibility in general is a huge question mark because he's a crook. But unless you're claiming that you have evidence that a far larger number of climate scientists are crooks than in other industries or that this guy authored a particularly influential study that has yet to be peer reviewed (which in and of itself is a contradiction), it's goofy to jump to the conclusion that this has any bearing on "climate science."

Huh! I think you are away in another place, I'm talking about the man and the credibility of his work...okay?

'Tis thee who is jumping the gun.

No one gives a crap about the credibility of HIS work. No one even knows who he is.

Clearly this thread is meant as a shot at climate science in general.

Awwwwww yeah, son. Jumpin' the gun royale style!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
This scientist entire work before this arrest is now in question. Its liek a Prosecutor being found to be dirty. all his previous convictions might be over turned.

That's right Yuppa, this guy was a public official, and he failed big time, and all his own accrued work assets around a $million, frozen....a fecking $million in supperann and holidays presumably not taken??? His capers cannot be ignored, and central to that is the GBR research.
That area, we have been told has been failing for a long time, with Climate Change...and pretty much all the previous acronyms that were used as the cause. So what part he played....and he was doing it for a long time, is the question everyone should be asking, regardless of what they think.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I don't think this should have any impact on his prior scientific work, since that's not the reason he's been done for fraud.

Kind of destroys his credibility don't ya think?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: xuenchen

Wonder if he was using the money to buy rare and antique books on Climate Change.

No, but vintage issues of Playboy and Penthouse are very expensive!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

A) I have ever heard of him (so not that "renowned")

So?

I think it does. These "climate scientists" become so religious into selling their data, and see those huge dollar signs that they begin to lose touch with ethics in everything else in their lives that it all becomes the same thing. Their fraudulent science spills over into how they conduct everyday business.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I bought 1 million dollars worth of Carbon Credits...where do I cash them in?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Heat IS occurring WE can't do SQUAT that would effect it THAT badly.
Not to mention NATURAL methane far surpassing MANS output and THE WHOLE solar system is heating up comparatively.

SO...
No carbon taxation ,AIR taxation or really ANY taxation to enable the EU to GUN up under Brussels Belgium(BEFORE Brexit that is)
THEY'LL just have to war with us over it.

edit on 7-9-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

1 Climate Scientist VS. how many wealthy business people. It goes to show people in any profession can defraud for money.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

What the hell does this one guy being a crook have to do with Climate science?

Nothing, but the OP couldn't pass this up.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kaileena

What the hell does this one guy being a crook have to do with Climate science?

Nothing, but the OP couldn't pass this up.

This OP couldn't pass up a fart in the wind.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

its enough for the opening poster.

strange however that one guy done for financial fraud proves climate change to be a myth yet, he supports a president with numerous convictions.

more a signal of what ats and conspiracy bods alike have become.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

So what does the crime have to do with climate science? Antique books, of course, that means climate science is a complete fraud, how could I have missed it?

Nothing of course, but propaganda must go on, mustn't it Goebbels?

edit on 8-9-2017 by TurduckenMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

What the hell does this one guy being a crook have to do with Climate science? He was just some tool stealing from his boss by claiming false purchases. You can find guys like this in every field.

Its really simple if you look at the OPs posting history. It is all about spinning stories.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

What the hell does this one guy being a crook have to do with Climate science? He was just some tool stealing from his boss by claiming false purchases. You can find guys like this in every field.

Its really simple if you look at the OPs posting history. It is all about spinning stories.

That may be true BUT.... This does call into question his findings due to the nature of his fraud. Thats undeniable.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
He's only doing what his hero Al Gore did to become a billionaire through cheating and lying.

edit on 8-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Hey that sjust what dinklage did to DESTINY developers bungie.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
And what has that got to do with climate change?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join