It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two A-10's collide near Nellis. Both Pilots safe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Oddly a plane crashed a day before the two A-10s (9/5) but was just announced today (9/8). Also the type of aircraft was not stated.

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. – On September 5, 2017, at approximately 6:00 pm Pacific Time, a U.S. Air Force aircraft crashed while flying a training mission on the Nevada Test and Training Range approximately 100 miles northwest of Nellis AFB.

The aircraft was assigned to Air Force Materiel Command.

Lt Col Eric Schultz died as a result of injuries sustained in the accident. Our immediate concern is for the family of Lt Col Schultz.

The cause of the crash is currently under investigation. Additional information concerning the accident will be released as it becomes available.

For more information contact the 99th Air Base Wing Public Affairs Office at 99abw.pacurrent@nellis.af.mil or by calling (702) 652-2750.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Very weird, just found the same report.
Condolences to the pilots family.
I heard the plane could have come out of Edwards?
mysterious crash
edit on 982017 by HomeyKXTA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

Doubtful. I just read a blurb about it that finally said the aircraft type is classified. As early as it was in the evening, it's doubtful it came out of Edwards. It was probably out of Groom IMO.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Makes sense, good call as always.
Interesting to see they're flying classified birds without cover of a moonless night.
So you wouldn't presume that it was a B-21, would you?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Im thinking F117 for some reason...

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I don't know. They have at least a couple of manned aircraft I know of that are at least at the demonstrator phase. Not necessarily for future programs, but new technologies. It could be one of them with just one person being involved.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups suggested one of the Su-27s. That would make sense, and fit.
edit on 9/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If it was a Red vs blue engagement for aerial superiority before the A10,s went in yes it would fit..Hunt around the WIX forum too they sometimes pick up MIG stuff etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

The two leading theories I'm seeing in various groups seem to be F-117 or Su-27.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yeah if it was Super Black they would either not say anything or say its an F16 or something.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

If it was something unclassified like that, they'd say what it was, and pass it off as a routine flight gone wrong. By saying it's classified, it shows that it's not something normal, but that doesn't mean that it's something exotic either.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienOutlaw

The AF has been trying for decades to retire the A-10 but every time a conflict comes up they love the Warthog. The fast movers just can't deliver the ground support of the A-10.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
If it was a Red vs blue engagement for aerial superiority before the A10,s went in yes it would fit..Hunt around the WIX forum too they sometimes pick up MIG stuff etc.

These crashes occurred on different days.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I don't know. They have at least a couple of manned aircraft I know of that are at least at the demonstrator phase. Not necessarily for future programs, but new technologies. It could be one of them with just one person being involved.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups suggested one of the Su-27s. That would make sense, and fit.

The Sukoi and F-117 are flown in the daylight.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yes they might have been doing air superiority training in the days ahead of the A10 collision which would have been ground pounding.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

And the crash occurred an hour before sundown, during what was still daylight hours. Official sunset on September 5th was at 7:02 pm.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

www.mountainhome.af.mil...

Bio on the pilot who died

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I wouldn't rule out anything the DPRK flies:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Ok, maybe rule out the AN-2 and the MD500.

I was buzzed a few times by the AN-2 when camped near the TTR.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I'm curious to find out the names of the pilots in the A-10 crash. Would be interesting to see which squadron they flew with.
Most important thing is that they're both ok.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I remember that clearly when it happened. It killed a young man who was an occupant of the house. Might have been in Belgium? There were questions raised as to where the QRA jets were and what they were doing, although in all fairness they couldn't risk splashing it over land and had intended on shooting it down over the North Sea. The Soviets didn't even bother to warn either Germany or Belgium about the jet. There were comparisons made at the time with the flight of Mathius Rust doing a similar thing albeit deliberate and without a crash in the other direction two years earlier.

As for the journo's, some stories are actually being written by computer code now, so its possible a mistake like that wasn't actually written by anyone. Although there have been a few cases of pilots going out on the bang seat and the aircraft being repairable. Usually its happened on the ground or on landing/takeoff though, not full blown flight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join